Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sea Lice / Farmed Salmon..  (Read 11065 times)

Mabelingwane

• Mabelingwane Hunting safari's
Sea Lice / Farmed Salmon..
« on: August 09, 2004, 07:56:20 AM »

I don’t know if any of you saw the documentary yesterday on global (11) regarding the sea lice effect on wild Salmon population up in an area close to knights inlet and Broughton Inlet. I unfortunately did not get any details on scientists names etc, but what I did realise that there is a huge issue up there with the effects of the salmon farming.

The basic highlights of the documentary is the scientist is doing research on the effects of salmon farming on the wild salmon population. There were fingerlings caught that are not even 6 inches long, but they had aprox. 63 lice on them. The mortality rate of these fish is high, and in the beginning of the research, the morality rate was estimated at around 80%, at the end of the day, when the salmon arrived the following year, there was a mortality rate of over 90%. So this is how the research started..

She was researching Orca Wales, and when they stopped entering the area, she found that the salmon farms were using sound devices that would stop them from coming close to the pen’s. She then did studies on the salmon and noticed that the fish that had passed the salmon farm were riddled with lice, and the fish that had not reached the farm were ok, with a average of only 3 lice per fish, instead of the average 63 on the fish that had passed the farm.

As usual they had the farm guys pleading there case, saying that the farmed fish get there lice from the wild stock, etc, etc….. sounded like a bunch on bogus to me.

The effect on the environment is huge. They showed how the bears are waiting in the rivers for the salmon to return….. But nothing……..

I have found some articles on the web , and it seems like these guys need our support as sport fisherman.

Something to take note of....

There was a 98% decline (from five million) in the number of fish returning to eight rivers geographically linked in the marine environment, but isolated in freshwater. This decline was "hugely significant" and epicentered over the Broughton Archipelago. There has been no equivalent decline since DFO began record keeping in 1953.

http://naturalscience.com/ns/cover/cover17.html
http://www.salmonfarmers.org/media/05_12_04.htm
http://www-sci.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/mehsd/sea_lice/2004/2004_intro_e.htm
http://www.sfu.ca/cstudies/science/salmon.htm
« Last Edit: August 09, 2004, 08:43:26 AM by Mabelingwane »
A strong man won't let anyone get the best of him... but a man of strength gives the best of himself to everyone.

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
Re:Sea Lice / Framed Salmon..
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 08:17:20 AM »

I stopped eating farmed salmon and steelhead some time ago, not because of the environmental concerns, but because it so often has "color added" or it is so fat that it catches fire on the BBQ.  Your post is another good reason to stick to non-farmed fish.  Thanks for the information; I'll pass it on to my friends.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
Re:Sea Lice / Farmed Salmon..
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 10:20:45 AM »

I don't eat farmed either.  I always ask if it is farmed.  I'm always amazed at the lack of knowlegde from the server(s).  I was told once that the salmon was wild.  When it came to the table, I could tell it was farmed.  1/16" of fat between each layer of meat.  In wild fish, the fat is paper thin.  I sent it back >:(

Our government(s) need to get off their backsides on this issue >:(

BirdNester

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 12:14:34 PM »

Ok, now I get it. I was reading flyers for Safeway and it said WILD Salmon, I wondered what that meant. It's all so clear to me now.
RobertO

Mabelingwane

• Mabelingwane Hunting safari's
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004, 01:34:12 PM »

One concern that I have is they compared this environment disaster to one of similar magnitude in Norway a couple of years back……The end result is that the Norwegians now fish in Canada because they have whipped out there salmon stock, both wild and farmed. They have nothing left, because the warning signs were not taken note of.

My concern is that , unless this situation is managed very well, then we stand to loose a fishery.

I also understand that there is very little that we as individuals can do. I just thought it would be good for us to know what is happening. It was a real eye opener seeing the program. If you want I am sure that Global will send you a copy to view.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2004, 02:00:38 PM by Mabelingwane »
A strong man won't let anyone get the best of him... but a man of strength gives the best of himself to everyone.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2004, 01:41:56 PM »

Saw the documentary a while back. Certainly was an eye opener.

otto

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2004, 04:36:00 PM »

I don't eat farmed either.  I always ask if it is farmed.  I'm always amazed at the lack of knowlegde from the server(s).  I was told once that the salmon was wild.  When it came to the table, I could tell it was farmed.  1/16" of fat between each layer of meat.  In wild fish, the fat is paper thin.  I sent it back >:(

Our government(s) need to get off their backsides on this issue >:(

yo Grumman.... I too once sent back a "wild" salmon that was waaaay too fatty and pink. the server kept insisting that it was wild salmon. then the manager got involved and got on my case for wasting a salmon. turned into a big scene, i shut the entire restuarant up when i called their food supplier and was told that the salmon that CINCIN (on robson) buys is farmed atlantic salmon.

same thing occurs on granville island market. not one salmon there is "wild" despite what the signs say. i got asked to leave the market by security because i was having a heated debate with a vendor about the false advertising........

B********
« Last Edit: August 09, 2004, 04:36:34 PM by otto »

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2004, 04:40:30 PM »

Don't we have some sort of regulators for this?  CFIA?  Can't we report this as fraud?  I dunno.  False advertising?  What if a vendor sold you horse meat instead of beef?   I think CFIA might be a place to start.

BirdNester

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2004, 04:42:01 PM »

Don't we have some sort of regulators for this?  CFIA?  Can't we report this as fraud?  I dunno.  False advertising?  What if a vendor sold you horse meat instead of beef?   I think CFIA might be a place to start.
DFO, but they're busy going after some old guy that I reported for taking a foul hooked fish  ;D
RobertO

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2004, 04:43:42 PM »

DFO, but they're busy going after some old guy that I reported for taking a foul hooked fish  ;D

ROTFLMAO......I too, was looking for a link back into that one  ::)

otto

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2004, 04:45:03 PM »

who knows anymore...........but to throw more fuel on the fire....i actually think that if salmon was farmed on LAND, in very secure pens, with the waste/waste water being pumped out into drying ponds and then tilled into the soil, salmon farming would work as a food supply. but they gotta stop pumping them full of pink/orange dye #7, antibiotics and whatever else those fish are eating. ie: make them less "fatty" and more natural coloring. then i would not send back my 25 $$$ plate of grilled salmon.

as for the market...........who knows...............   >:(

BirdNester

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2004, 04:47:01 PM »

Can anyone show me pictures of how to tell the difference between wild and farmed salmon? I would love the ability to tell the difference.
RobertO

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2004, 04:49:31 PM »

The farmed fish have little plow marks from when the field is tilled.

Wild fish won't do any tricks, nor can you get them to eat from your hand.

Too tempting.   :P

otto

« Last Edit: August 09, 2004, 04:52:15 PM by otto »

BirdNester

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2004, 04:55:12 PM »

The farmed fish have little plow marks from when the field is tilled.

Wild fish won't do any tricks, nor can you get them to eat from your hand.

Too tempting.   :P

Hahahah.
RobertO