Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: We May Not Have to Worry About FF Or BB  (Read 4051 times)

TNAngler

Re: We May Not Have to Worry About FF Or BB
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 01:07:40 PM »

Why does ocean radiation have to cancel Fantasy Football too?  CURSE YOU CRUEL WORLD!!!!!

TNAngler

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 01:28:59 PM »

Seriously though, I wonder if it is as bad as she says (and I doubt it is), if the salmon were able to get up to spawn, would it also harm the eggs?  Does ingesting radioactive food make someone/fish infertile or sterile?  Eating them would be bad if the level was high enough.  Fly fishing for trout and the likes would be fine, until they ate the tainted salmon carcasses or eggs.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 07:01:00 PM »

http://arcticcircle.uconn.edu/SEEJ/amchitka/

Wow I remember that nuke test, our elementary school actually walked out and protested that, I was in grade 7 at the time. Thanks for posting that TB.
Take the T out of Morton.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 08:49:56 PM »

Since those nuke plants being damaged I have decided not to eat seafood ( ocean polluted alot even before all this leakage )
Really picky what I stick in my mouth ( from mouth to stomach to cells / intestines to washroom & back to ocean again )
Would I eat any seafood from the Gulf of Mexico ? No way. Oil leakage.

Take my changes with the land food.

Honestly Chris, think the article has ALOT of TRUTH to it.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 01:55:20 PM »

It is a major concern, and I'm disappointed, but not surprised, that our Government has not made access to or made announcements to reasonably factual info, ( excluding scare mongering)I know some processors that are a bit nervous in knee jerk reactions from consumers based on rumour and or miss represented data.
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

TheFishingLad

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 08:54:38 PM »

Although it is true over time this radiation may reach close to our shores, but for how diluted it will be it will be nothing to worry about. I can't for the life of me find the article I read regarding this, but basically it's radiation already diluted with water, running into the ocean.

I feel if it goes on long enough, then yes we are doomed.

Just remember though, we take in radiation every day. Wifi gives off 15mhz, whereas your cell phone is around 1500mhz (and we hold this to our heads). Through our day to day lives we have sky waves, ground wave and space waves operating with a vast amount of frequencies out there constantly hitting our bodies.  The sun is our biggest issue for radiation, and will be a far bigger issue on a larger scale than this one Reactor.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 12:16:17 PM »

Think we are in un chartered territory when it comes to these damaged nuke plants.
Plus Japan eats so much seafood.
Just think about eating the local catch & just how bad it could be.
Bet there are lots of false advertising as sellers may tell the Japanese buyers of seafood that it is from so & so waters ( 1000's of miles away ) when in reality the catch came from Japan local waters.

But people eat very unhealthy foods or have bad habits ( smoking ) fully know the dangers.
Maybe deep down we like eating salmon etc & hell or high water nuked fish or not " give me my fish & chips.
 As TheFishingLad stated we hear of the dangers of radiation but still place cell phones to our heads. I use an IPAD all the time ( try to not let the wifi signal go thru my body )
What we do not see does not scare us.

TheFishingLad

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 12:34:48 PM »

Mr. Boater, the wi fi signal wil only be truly potentially harmless if you only lay on the Router itself lol. Yes it's frequency is on the Spectrum so yes you could get a sunburn from it, but it would take 1,500,000 minutes for that to happen (or the same as 15 minutes in the sun)

:)

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 04:13:17 PM »

The difference between telecom radiation, UV radiation, and nuclear radiation is that the latter is the result of radioisotope decay; you basically have the unstable elements floating around emitting gamma particles, or what-have-you.  Whether these isotopes would just settle to the bottom of the ocean, and whether they could be incorporated into the food chain I don't know. I imagine that ocean currents could carry them a ways before they'd settle, and that they would be incorporated into the food chain.

I don't know how much of these types of elements you can ingest before it's considered unsafe (or if there is even a safe level), but it'd probably be best to avoid them. Unlike energy (e.g. UV waves, etc.), these elements (e.g. cesium, uranium, etc.) can persist in the environment or in an organism for many decades, emitting damaging particles as they decay.

That being said, there is the hormesis hypothesis; low levels of a toxic substance actually improve survival. IIRC, individuals far from and close to Hiroshima when the bomb went off fared worse than those at mid-distance from the blast...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 04:15:09 PM by zabber »
A rig out of water catches no fish.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 11:34:31 PM »

Something tells me this is a bunch of hooey.
There is enough water in the Pacific Ocean to water down any radiation.
We would start seeing deformed fish before the runs would collapse.
I'm not sold.