Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "There are safer places to get gravel"  (Read 123654 times)

river_house

Re: "There are safer places to get gravel"
« Reply #195 on: February 17, 2009, 07:53:55 AM »

A gravel truck rolled on the corner of Ballam and McDonald on Monday morning.

The road is so damaged with cracks and holes from the project, and trucks haven't slowed down, despite our calls and emails to the Municipality and the project manager.

They had a safety meeting after the truck flipped, and Im told they will go slower now, but I haven't seen that.

Another load came close to tipping late yesterday afternoon, it teetered.

Two municipal representatives came to observe the project as I requested.

They hired a water truck and sweeper to clean the road off a bit.

Just a LOT of fun down here at the river.

Can't wait for this project to END.

river_house

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #197 on: February 17, 2009, 10:59:40 AM »

Thanks for keeping us updated. I was just told another project is just starting, in the vicinity of the Popkum side channel that enters the Fraser River just above the Agassiz to Rosedale Bridge.

The assault on fish habitat continues on unabated. >:(

river_house

« Reply #198 on: February 17, 2009, 05:26:22 PM »

Gordon Campbell is getting as much money as he can, while he can.

I won't be voting for Liberals in May!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5tWTztuh80

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #199 on: February 18, 2009, 09:40:30 AM »

Great soundtrack with those trucks going by. Better than Rod's sleezy disco track. I won't be voting Liberal neither.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #200 on: February 19, 2009, 12:32:36 PM »

I still thing they should extract gravel out the stretch above the Chehailis Hatchery and get the run back to where it belongs .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Morty

« Reply #201 on: February 19, 2009, 11:10:51 PM »

any newer pictures?

how can I get near there to see what they're doing?
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

river_house

« Reply #202 on: February 20, 2009, 08:04:13 AM »

With the Ballam Road project, the only day you can access it..is on a sunday.
Even then they have security and you can't drive down but you can walk in, through knee deep mud.
Last sunday I saw several people dressed for it, walking in.
Or if you have a boat someone could get close to the site that way.

Two gravel trucks have rolled so far.

Most of the loads now seem to be more dirt than gravel since thursday.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #203 on: February 20, 2009, 11:38:16 AM »

Posting for Chris.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #204 on: February 20, 2009, 04:18:55 PM »

The story on the photo's above that were taken at Tranmer Bar this week.

Gravel removal employs 20
Paul J. Henderson, The Times
Published: Friday, February 20, 2009
The provincial government has begun another round of controversial gravel removal on the Fraser River.

Chilliwack-based Jake's Construction has the contract to install a temporary bridge to get access to 186,000 cubic metres of gravel from the Tranmer Bar, an area of approximately four square kilometres on the north bank of the Fraser River, approximately five kilometres upstream from the Agassiz-Rosedale Bridge, according to a press release.

The release states the work is part of the "ongoing efforts to protect public safety and reduce the risk of flooding in the Fraser Valley by removing some of the sediment and gravel that continues to build up in this part of the Fraser River."

Each year, the equivalent of between 15,000 and 63,000 dump-truck loads of sediment and gravel washes down the river and comes to rest between Hope and Mission, according to the provincial government.

This latest contract comes on the heels of a January announcement that ongoing until March 15, Lehigh Aggregates will extract about 155,000 cubic metres of sediment and gravel from Harrison Bar near Chilliwack.

Fishermen from the Cheam band confirm that fishing spots used for years are increasingly filled with gravel, and the Seabird Island band has lost hundreds of acres to erosion because of rising river levels.

However, some activists and sports fishers have complained that the gravel removal effects salmon spawning grounds. Other opponents say the project is nothing but a gravel grab for the development industry that wants the aggregate.

The project will employ up to 20 people and is expected to be completed by March 15.

The release states that all work at the site must meet strict environmental guidelines to ensure fish habitat is protected. The government will spend approximately $225,000 for biological and hydraulic studies at the site before, during and after sediment and gravel removal.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #205 on: February 20, 2009, 05:05:59 PM »

"Strict environmental guidelines", my @$$.  I have yet to see any picture of hi vis fence or silt fence.  The most basic of BMP's.  I seriously doubt there's any in place.  Also, if it's not about the gravel, ask them what they're doing with it. 

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #206 on: February 20, 2009, 05:19:49 PM »

At the montly Fraser River Gravel Stewardship Committee meeting today the decision was made to go with a public information meeting here in Chilliwack on March 19. More details to follow and we hope many of you will attend and bring a friend with you.

river_house

« Reply #207 on: February 20, 2009, 07:12:33 PM »

A Status Report for the Supply of Aggregates in British Columbia - 20 Feb 2009
 by Barry Irvine, Construction Aggregates Ltd., Vancouver, British Columbia

This extended abstract is reproduced from:

Bobrowsky, P.T., Massey, N.W.D. and Matysek, P.F. (1996): Aggregate Forum: Developing an Inventory that Works for You!, Report of Proceedings; B.C. Ministry of Energy, Mines and Petroleum Resources, Information Circular 1996-6.

The supply of aggregates is key to the future growth of British Columbia. Aggregate is used in roads, asphalt, concrete, rail ballast, concrete products such as concrete pipe, block, pavers, manholes, etc. and as fill and backfill. Growth and improvement of the existing infrastructure are dependent on a low cost, reliable supply of quality aggregate. Although, the following comments are made with reference to the Lower Mainland construction market, they apply in varying degree to the rest of the province.

Construction in the Lower Mainland requires 20 to 24 million tonnes of aggregate per year with some estimates as high as 30 million tonnes. This figure includes fill and backfill not normally included in the definition of aggregate but originating from similar sources. Aggregate comes from the following general locations:

Coastal pits on tidewater - 8 million tonnes per year

North side of the Fraser River - 4 million tonnes per year

Matsqui/Abbotsford and Chilliwack - 4 million tonnes per year

Fraser River - 4 million tonnes per year (including 3 million tonnes of dredged sand)

Quarries on Texada - 1 million tonnes per year

Imports from the US - 1 million tonnes per year

*snipped for space

The ideas and recommendations presented in this abstract are the views of the individual author and do not necessarily represent the official policies of the Ministry of Energy, Mines and Petroleum Resources.

http://www.empr.gov.bc.ca/Mining/Geoscience/SurficialGeologyandHazards/AggregateProject/AggregateForum95/Pages/StatusReportfortheSupplyofAggregatesinBC.aspx

« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 07:15:38 PM by river_house »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #208 on: February 27, 2009, 10:38:23 AM »

Chilliwack Progress
Public forum on gravel mining

I certainly hope many of you will attend this meeting. It starts at 6:30 PM on March 19. Thanks Chris

By Robert Freeman - Chilliwack Progress

Published: February 26, 2009 6:00 PM

Critics of gravel mining in the Fraser River are taking their case for a more open approval process to the court of public opinion.

A public meeting is being held March 19 at the Chilliwack Best Western organized by a coalition of environmental groups called the Fraser River Gravel Stewardship Committee.

The idea of holding a public forum on the gravel issue began in April last year after the outcry over a run-of-the-river project on the Pitt River caused the B.C. environment ministry to cancel the plan.

But Patti MacAhonic, B.C. Wildlife Federation executive director, said the purpose of this meeting is to present “balanced” information to the public about gravel removal “so people can make up their own minds.”

An open mike will be available after the presentation for the public to ask questions or express their own views.

Federal and provincial officials, including Chilliwack MLAs John Les and Barry Penner, have been invited to the meeting, along with First Nations leaders.

The B.C. government and federal fisheries insist the removals are for flood protection, and approved only after comprehensive environmental studies are conducted and safeguards are in place.

The committee insists it is not opposed to gravel mining, but wants the flood benefits proved before putting fish habitat at risk.

“We want to make sure DFO and the province follow the stated policies to ensure fish habitat is protected - and we don’t feel they are,” MacAhonic said.

A “transparent” process, including data from environmental studies done before and after removals, is part of the government policies, but committee members claim they are being stymied in their efforts to obtain information.

Marvin Rosenau, a former government biologist and outspoken critic of the approval process, said the public is routinely left out of removal decisions by federal and provincial officials “without any clear explanation.”

Freedom of Information requests by the committee, when approved at all, are also returned with “even simple technical stuff excised for no reason,” he said.

Frank Kwak, Fraser Valley Salmon Society president, said the committee invited government officials to the meeting “to give them the opportunity to hear what we have to say, and take it back to their people or respond” at the meeting.

MacAhonic said the wildlife federation is well-known as a “responsible” organization that doesn’t get involved with fringe elements of the environmental community.

“We have some real concerns about fish habitat with the gravel removal (process),” she said.

There is “adequate” protection already in government policies, she added, “but they need to be followed. There needs to be a transparent process.”

rfreeman@theprogress.com

COMMENTS
COMMENTING ETIQUETTE: To encourage open exchange of ideas in the BCLocalNews.com community, we ask that you follow our guidelines and respect standards. Simply, don't say anything you wouldn't want your mother to read. More on etiquette...

river_house

« Reply #209 on: February 27, 2009, 01:43:09 PM »

Thanks for the info, Im marking the date on my calendar.

The project here on Ballam Road has finally come to an end, thank god.

I thought they stopped because of the snow but my husband spoke to the flaggers and he was told that they are 'done', and that they got more than they expected.

Its been HELL on this road, HELL, and Im not kidding, we had no idea that it would be like a warzone with speeding gravel trucks from before sunrise to well beyond sunset.
Our house SHOOK, it was HELL.