Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: snagging at train tressle  (Read 25678 times)

Athezone

• Old Timer
Re: snagging at train tressle
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2012, 08:58:21 AM »

The bottom line is, when you're going fishing, you're not going to a war zone, you're going to a playground for big and small kids.

Good post Rodney, and the last line is the Best !!!  ;D :D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2012, 09:24:59 AM »

Unfortunately it will not stop as long is people fish as there will be people that want a fish at any cost and use any way they can catch them.

You have people that continue to dump garbage even when there is a garbage bag within a feet of where they throw down a coffee cup etc., no fine line on this as everyone will admit this is a no no but people are doing this as I type. ::)

All you can do as Rodney and others do on this forum does to try to educate people to the correct and rewarding way to catch a fish.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 01:01:25 PM by chris gadsden »

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2012, 11:47:37 AM »

I personelly think you should be allowed to kill one a year ( maybe buy a tag ), hang them in a tree and the rest will listen! :o

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2012, 12:10:26 PM »

This guy was a scrawny little asian guy (not much threat)  ... I'm sure he was more intimidated than I was
Apparently there have been stabbings over spots on some of the Fraser bars. When you throw weapons into the mix size starts meaning less. Also, he may be a martial arts master (no stereotyping intended) so I wouldn't be so quick to judge his level of intimidation.

An user fishing with a float and has the float depth adjusted way beyond the river depth, yanking the rod randomly whenever the float goes down because the hook is dragging onto something, foul hooking fish at times when those random yanks hit something, releasing them as regulations required, but keeping the ones hooked around the mouth. These actions may seem completely unethical to you, they will not result in a fine because no regulations seem to have been broken, even though the user may or may not know that intentional snagging is being demonstrated.
IMO, in this case a quick "education session" could be implemented by a CO, after which the angler would receive a ticket if caught again (at this point it'd clearly be intentional snagging). You'd think the angler would clue in after not being able to set the hook in the mouth time after time, but we'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

If the above scenario should be penalized, then every single person who is out there on the Fraser River doing the same thing with a bouncing betty would already have been fined.
As has been suggested, the lack of enforcement may be due to lack of resources. Most people out on the Fraser aren't reefing on their rods every 2 seconds, let alone every cast, making such enforcement a low priority (if it's all about bringing in the $$).
A rig out of water catches no fish.

1son

« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2012, 03:16:17 PM »

Great post Rod I enjoyed the read

Bandit420

« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2012, 10:05:02 PM »

I knew zabber was trolling around on this one. I thought you were going to defend that its not intentionally snagging fish if its around the mouth? Theres no differance between snagging a fish in the mouth then snagging it in the belly or tail. The fish didnt strike there fore it has been snagged intentionally. When are you going to learn zabber?
If you're not fishing, you're not living!

Bandit420

« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2012, 10:06:26 PM »

Apparently there have been stabbings over spots on some of the Fraser bars. When you throw weapons into the mix size starts meaning less. Also, he may be a martial arts master (no stereotyping intended) so I wouldn't be so quick to judge his level of intimidation.
IMO, in this case a quick "education session" could be implemented by a CO, after which the angler would receive a ticket if caught again (at this point it'd clearly be intentional snagging). You'd think the angler would clue in after not being able to set the hook in the mouth time after time, but we'll give them the benefit of the doubt.
As has been suggested, the lack of enforcement may be due to lack of resources. Most people out on the Fraser aren't reefing on their rods every 2 seconds, let alone every cast, making such enforcement a low priority (if it's all about bringing in the $$).

And that would be you reefing on your rod every 2 seconds?

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2012, 10:31:54 PM »

I knew zabber was trolling around on this one.
Says the guy trying to start up the flossing debate...

But okay, I'll bite:

The fish didnt strike there fore it has been snagged intentionally.
There's no reg stating that the fish needs to strike. That's why people floss; they can hook fish legally without having to illicit a bite. Some argue it's a skillful angling method while others argue it's unsportsmanlike and/or unethical. If you're accidentally foul hooking >50% of your fish I'd think you're committing an infraction, but I've never heard of anyone ticketed for bottom bouncing the Fraser.

Get off the pot and maybe it'll start to make sense.

And that would be you reefing on your rod every 2 seconds?
Is there another way to bag 'hos??  ::) ::)
A rig out of water catches no fish.

Ezio

• vedder sucks tell your friends.
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2012, 03:03:48 AM »

grip it and rip it, I can't help but laugh at people who put a float on their line even though their line to their leader is 10 feet and their leader is another 3 feet long, so the wight catches the bottom and gives them an "excuse" to rip their hook through the water in attempt to catch a fish. i have seen in all over the river, i usually ignore it, because honestly, i could say something, but a few words isn't going to get though such thick skulls and change a person's method of fishing unless he is getting a visit from a CO or DFO and receiving a ticket. 

I have seen people get into fist fights and thrown in rivers for beaking and arguing over simple things, I think it's highly unethical, but people are going to do what they want regardless, and a lot of the time it's the people who are trying to be ethical and help people that get screwed in the long run, people just want fish, and nothing is going to change the metality of having to catch a fish,  because they go to the river to catch something, not stand around a body of water and throw hooks at fish and hope they bite. its pathetic but nothing is going to stop them.

I Stopped bottom bouncing 3 years ago, and now the only time i fish the fraser river is to fly fish for pinks or fish for sturgeon.

best thing to do is give them some advice, maybe if they honestly don't know the proper methods to fishing effectively give them a float or two if they don't have any, and teach them how to set everything up properly.   But if they are ignorant and don't want to listen try to ignore them, and if need be move to a different location.

Bandit420

« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2012, 02:17:43 PM »

Says the guy trying to start up the flossing debate...

But okay, I'll bite:
There's no reg stating that the fish needs to strike. That's why people floss; they can hook fish legally without having to illicit a bite. Some argue it's a skillful angling method while others argue it's unsportsmanlike and/or unethical. If you're accidentally foul hooking >50% of your fish I'd think you're committing an infraction, but I've never heard of anyone ticketed for bottom bouncing the Fraser.

Get off the pot and maybe it'll start to make sense.

Yes this is a flossing debate because flossing is snagging and thats what was witnessed on the vedder.
Thats the problem it doesnt make sense, the regulations on snagging are bogus when it comes to flossing ie. Snagging. Yes I have my medical license for a reason or many reasons so I dont need to explain anything to you. You should watch some of Rodney's videos on short floating for coho because I can tell you from experience they are the most aggressive species besides steelhead if you can find them.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2012, 06:14:48 PM »

Until the regulations are changed, it is really hard to approach someone talking about "proper" ways to fish.  As long as the fish they hook are not foul hooked (hooked anywhere other than the mouth), then, like it or not, what they are doing is not really "wrong" at all.  It is illegal to intentionally "foul hook" a fish, which means to hook it anywhere other than the mouth.  "Snagging" a fish in the mouth is what we all do when we set the hook, so that in and of itself is not "wrong."  However, if your "grip it and rip it" friend is foul hooking fish repeatedly, even if they are releasing them, while trying to floss one, then they are committing a crime and should be told as much.  When I am fishing for pinks or chum and foul hook two fish in a row, I always move spots or adjust my methods (change to a floating line, adjust speed of the retrieve, etc), anything else would be illegal.
Not all those who wander are lost

rickjames_2

« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2012, 11:12:46 AM »

It was my first spring of the season! Go easy on me...

I'm not sure what everyone's problem is. Snag this, snag that.

Under the current low water condition and sunny weather, these fish clearly do not bite! Just like sockeye salmon in the murky Fraser River, they will not bite and the only way to catch them is to line these fish with your hook near the bottom. You may wonder how sporting it is. Well it's not, this is a harvest of fish that have been raised at the hatchery and I am only keeping what I am legally allowed to keep, therefore no regulations are broken and people should just go out and enjoy the river. I even have a float on there and pencil lead instead of a bouncing betty, what more do you want me to do? You say short floating with roe? Well I don't plan to get up at 4am just so I can get the few bites at dawn. Short floating right now is like bar fishing on the Fraser River, you get perhaps half a dozen chances per outing. I'm there to catch fish, not to enjoy the scenery.

Right? ;D

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=30749.msg292202#msg292202

Pure freakin genius Rodney. Oh man, that made me smile  ;D
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Nitroholic

« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2012, 07:14:28 PM »

herp derp

jacked55

« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2012, 08:31:25 PM »

myself and another buddy at work have been debating this and think we have come up with a good idea for DFO to easily end the flossing issue. Perhaps Rodney or soem of the other more experienced people can comment what the likelyhood of it happening would be?
Issue a maximum leader length for specific rivers, say C/V river maximum leader length cannot exceed 24".
This would basically eliminate ALOT of the flossers not by actually fining them, but by cutting down on their productivity. Let's all face it, as long as the flossers can actually catch fish, which they always seem to do, they are not going to stop because it is productive for them. But, if they shortened down those 8' leaders to 24" i would be willing to bet a few trips home empty handed and they might start re-thinking their so-called technique. Especially when the only people around actually catching fish are the ones doing it the right way.
Just my opinion, but i would love to hear some responses, thanks.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2012, 09:02:18 PM »

It doesn’t fix the situation with the rippers.  They look like they are drifting but give a good hook set every cast.
I had to stop fishing with an old man because he is obsessed with it. In fact I haven’t seen the Vedder in 2 years, and still fish every weekend