Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates  (Read 78687 times)

psd1179

• Old Timer
Re: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates
« Reply #510 on: September 13, 2022, 03:22:25 PM »

Completely agree. I wanted a tidal opening outside Fraser mouth. Can't believe they allowed snagging fish meanwhile they bite pink hootchies with your dummy flasher troll. All the while huge amounts of fish taken by seine nets and commercial troller then the biggest Gill netting fsc illegal sale fishery  dfo f up more this year than I have ever witnessed. Disgusting  vedder going to be full of Betty's and braid and 12 ft leaders as soon as the socs close.
All politics to appease one group.
I have never seen a river only opening. Who the f is making these descions? New people in positions they are not qualified for given marching orders for political truth and reconciliation reasons. Why is the government allowing this you ask?

The trolling gangs definitely have a lot of emission from burning gas which contribute to the climate change. Must have a way bigger carbon footprint than the gill net guys per fish.

BMo86

« Reply #511 on: September 13, 2022, 03:59:59 PM »

Not sure if it's the timing of the opening but I've never caught coho bottom bouncing before. Today the group of 4 I was in caught three and I saw a few more within close distance I had to tell guys were coho and to release. We got our 8 flossed sockeye and released two springs as well. Might be the only day I go out. I forgot how much I don't enjoy this fishery. 

chardeemacdenis

« Reply #512 on: September 13, 2022, 05:44:03 PM »

I forgot how much I don't enjoy this fishery.

Amen.
Fishing isn't catching

Lunk Louie

« Reply #513 on: September 13, 2022, 05:54:30 PM »

Not sure if it's the timing of the opening but I've never caught coho bottom bouncing before. Today the group of 4 I was in caught three and I saw a few more within close distance I had to tell guys were coho and to release. We got our 8 flossed sockeye and released two springs as well. Might be the only day I go out. I forgot how much I don't enjoy this fishery.

Then you should fish the lower Vedder/upper canal in a short while....there is at least a couple guys technically bottom bouncing with looooong lines below their lead tipped with beads above their hooks....they usually show up late afternoon when the fish are moving through the fast but shallow water.....works pretty good too.  :( ::) :-\

sumasriver

« Reply #514 on: September 13, 2022, 06:09:15 PM »

Then you should fish the lower Vedder/upper canal in a short while....there is at least a couple guys technically bottom bouncing with looooong lines below their lead tipped with beads above their hooks....they usually show up late afternoon when the fish are moving through the fast but shallow water.....works pretty good too.  :( ::) :-\

No doubt as our government is now offering a 10 day advanced course in how to snag sockeye, coho and springs.....     Our government  has failed our salmon....  10-20 years from now people will look back at these years and will be in disbelief in how we have mis-managed this incredible resource.

mikeyman

« Reply #515 on: September 13, 2022, 06:11:15 PM »

It's funny how so many boast about how good beads are then u see thier set up has over a 3 to 4 ft leader or more and the float is set to dredge. Figure it out you are flossing and snagging fish this way.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #516 on: September 13, 2022, 06:40:50 PM »

Interior Fraser coho salmon abundance has been on the incline in the past ten years. Still not at where it should be, but it'd explain why you're encountering coho salmon now.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #517 on: September 13, 2022, 06:48:42 PM »

Interior Fraser coho salmon abundance has been on the incline in the past ten years. Still not at where it should be, but it'd explain why you're encountering coho salmon now.

And the fact that one of the test fisheries caught over 60, that’s pretty unheard of in recent times

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #518 on: September 13, 2022, 06:50:21 PM »

It's funny how so many boast about how good beads are then u see thier set up has over a 3 to 4 ft leader or more and the float is set to dredge. Figure it out you are flossing and snagging fish this way.

We used to bb for sockeye this way with dink floats and lead slinkies, arm length leaders.

Then it evolved into two or three arm lengths and bouncing Bettie’s
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 07:03:39 PM by wildmanyeah »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #519 on: September 14, 2022, 08:07:10 AM »

Looks like mikeyman thinks we need the commercial sector invovled? I agree.. Everyone needs to be apart of this.

the commercial sector can catch more fish in a day as the entire catch of Fraser sockeye this season. They also have representatives on the PSC Fraser panel and with DFO. If their top people calls the Minister she picks up the phone or returns their call. They are involved.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 08:09:58 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #520 on: September 14, 2022, 08:19:46 AM »

And the fact that one of the test fisheries caught over 60, that’s pretty unheard of in recent times

some of those could be heading for the Vedder or the Harrison. I caught a coho while fly fishing for trout yesterday.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

ratfish

« Reply #521 on: September 14, 2022, 01:24:28 PM »

I am just wondering if best fisheries management should be more local. I mean local as closer to the river the fish return to. Spending thousands of dollars of fuel in the open ocean to catch fish that are bound for who knows where? Let alone the pollution of burning said fuel. Is it not better to catch the fish lets say at the mouth of the skeena or in the skeena when we already know the test fisheries say its a good return. Is the quality of the fish less when caught lets say in the sandheads as caught in the fraser? Just questions that boggle my mind like shipping oil to other countries for them to refine it to gas and ship it back as gas while burning bunker fuel in tankers.

kanuckle head

« Reply #522 on: September 14, 2022, 01:47:10 PM »

The commercial fleet in Sandheads yesterday were equal to the amount of sporties, so sickening to see how much Salmon they will take
Without trying to target Sockeye, I still managed to land 2 beauty chrome socks then released, Many leapers everywhere.
Such a shame the saltwater fishers, get the shaft from DFO 

Cyanescens

« Reply #523 on: September 14, 2022, 02:04:11 PM »

I am just wondering if best fisheries management should be more local. I mean local as closer to the river the fish return to. Spending thousands of dollars of fuel in the open ocean to catch fish that are bound for who knows where? Let alone the pollution of burning said fuel. Is it not better to catch the fish lets say at the mouth of the skeena or in the skeena when we already know the test fisheries say its a good return. Is the quality of the fish less when caught lets say in the sandheads as caught in the fraser? Just questions that boggle my mind like shipping oil to other countries for them to refine it to gas and ship it back as gas while burning bunker fuel in tankers.
I personally prefer the flavour of fish caught in saltwater as opposed to river. I believe i can taste the river in river caught fish. also, sockeye caught at sandheads have zero chance of going anywhere other than the Fraser.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #524 on: September 14, 2022, 04:06:32 PM »

Marine sockeye salmon fishing opportunities have just been announced:

https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=265729&ID=all