Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates  (Read 78676 times)

samw

Re: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates
« Reply #390 on: September 09, 2022, 05:53:15 AM »

The first link is the tidal limit.  The 2nd link is the non-tidal limit between Mission (starting at the downstream side of the CPR bridge in Mission) and Hope (downstream side of Highway 1 bridge).

I am confused with the notice - Tidal portion says limit of 4:
https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=265307&ID=all
<SNIP>
While dfo site says limit of 2 below mission bridge:
https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region2-eng.html

which one is correct?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 05:55:05 AM by samw »

redside1

« Reply #391 on: September 09, 2022, 06:51:47 AM »

So are we getting an opening in the salt or what?  :-\

Nope, currently zero chance of a saltwater fishery where the sockeye actually bite a hook. The guys on the Fraser sockeye working group can pound any sort of common sense into the DFO managers they meet with which currently seems unlikely. They claim fishing at the river mouth is not a terminal fishery but in the river is so that;s why they opened the river up.

redside1

« Reply #392 on: September 09, 2022, 06:54:44 AM »

how should we be fishing in the tidal waters? Which arm do most of the fish come in? I am keen to catch some. Any info would be appreciated

So far no one has figured out a way to catch them between Richmond and Mission consistently without just plain old snagging them using the good old rip it hard into the side of the fish method.

It would be nice if someone did so it could possibly spread out the volume of anglers that all fish above the Mission bridge.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #393 on: September 09, 2022, 07:31:24 AM »

Your numbers are from weeks ago.
10s of thousands are just the wasted dumped fish.
Again a few guys barking back that obviously have a vested interest in the fsc and illigal sockeye sales coming to the defense.

No ...however your numbers are from beyond Mars or perhaps beyond the Kuiper Belt. They relate to nothing.

Numbers I provided are up to date as of Sept 4 for the in river catch and Sept 2nd for the total by PSC.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 10:31:48 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #394 on: September 09, 2022, 07:45:44 AM »

Disgusting to have all three sectors going at it during what is supposedly the closure window for Interior Fraser steelhead and coho.

That's true Rod. However you have previously advocated for Pink salmon openings at the about the same time of year.

it also reflects the immense frustration & resentment, justified or not, that been created among recreational anglers over the lack of opportunities while FNs were provided theirs. These feelings have been whipped to a frenzy by the herd mentality of social media & most "leaders" in the angling community abet this.

Personally I think most recreational anglers play little more than mouth service to conservation for endangered stocks. In the end their solution is "build me a hatchery".
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #395 on: September 09, 2022, 07:48:04 AM »

So far no one has figured out a way to catch them between Richmond and Mission consistently without just plain old snagging them using the good old rip it hard into the side of the fish method.

It would be nice if someone did so it could possibly spread out the volume of anglers that all fish above the Mission bridge.

the opening will pull people off the Vedder and some other rivers, at least for a while. It's also going to result in the death of a lot of coho as many anglers can't differentiate the various species or will provide not to.

Cyanescens

« Reply #396 on: September 09, 2022, 08:02:08 AM »

They claim fishing at the river mouth is not a terminal fishery but in the river is so that;s why they opened the river up.

Where else would those sockeye off the fraser mouth be going?

Phronesis

« Reply #397 on: September 09, 2022, 09:15:56 AM »

The first link is the tidal limit.  The 2nd link is the non-tidal limit between Mission (starting at the downstream side of the CPR bridge in Mission) and Hope (downstream side of Highway 1 bridge).

Ah I see, my bad, thanks - so that 2nd link is mainly for the freshwater fishing

stsfisher

« Reply #398 on: September 09, 2022, 10:29:38 AM »

« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 10:31:18 AM by stsfisher »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #399 on: September 09, 2022, 10:36:23 AM »

Personally I think most recreational anglers play little more than mouth service to conservation for endangered stocks. In the end their solution is "build me a hatchery".

yes, Some think because they fish a hatchery fishery they don't have an impact.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #400 on: September 09, 2022, 10:39:10 AM »

Some reports that the commercial fishermen fishing the mouth are not having that good of successes. If that's true it means the lates holding in the gulf maybe have been overestimated.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #401 on: September 09, 2022, 10:41:49 AM »

If the Rec fishery fishes or not it has no impact in the decision  making if they unleash the commercial fleet or not.

Any TAC the Rec fleet does not catch they will just give to commercial in future fisheries.

I do get it tho that it all stinks close the abundance summer run for concerns over late run then open it up for late run while other stocks of concern are present

Tho if the Rec sector and commercial fishery’s were big killers of stocks of concern then the 3 years where we don’t fish for sockeye there returns should be much stronger but they are not.

The estimated late run size, which includes a large Weaver/Harrison component is now at about the same level as the actual escapement in 2018 yet you complained that later return was lower than target by 277k and was the cause of the low return this year. Now you support a fishery by all sectors. Make no sense to me.

You are right that the IFC measures that have been in place for over 20 years (?) haven't improved that return in the long run though there were a few years of noticeable improvement. At least they haven't declined like interior steelhead which are about to fall off the extinction cliff.

The IFS and IFS crisis and many other interior fishery issues can't be solved by fishery closures alone. It will take a lot more to pull some of those stocks up. What's has been done with the Okanagan sockeye and Shuswap Chinook indicate measures that may work. The interior Fraser Fisheries are being hit hard by a variety of issues; Big Bar slide, hot summer droughts and a series of record fire seasons combined with unfavorable ocean conditions are all on the list.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #402 on: September 09, 2022, 10:52:47 AM »

The estimated late run size, which includes a large Weaver/Harrison component is now at about the same level as the actual escapement in 2018 yet you complained that later return was lower than target by 277k and was the cause of the low return this year. Now you support a fishery by all sectors. Make no sense to me.

You are right that the IFC measures that have been in place for over 20 years (?) haven't improved that return in the long run though there were a few years of noticeable improvement. At least they haven't declined like interior steelhead which are about to fall off the extinction cliff.

The IFS and IFS crisis and many other interior fishery issues can't be solved by fishery closures alone. It will take a lot more to pull some of those stocks up. What's has been done with the Okanagan sockeye and Shuswap Chinook indicate measures that may work. The interior Fraser Fisheries are being hit hard by a variety of issues; Big Bar slide, hot summer droughts and a series of record fire seasons combined with unfavorable ocean conditions are all on the list.

I support giving rec fishermen access when other sectors have access. If the numbers are not their then close it to all.  We both no the the rec sector when it comes to sockeye harvest is not going to make a dent when compared with other sectors.

A 10 day opening for rec in river is an non issue. 

If you have concerns about run size Ralph perhaps you should of expressed them when you were defending FSC and wasting/selling fish.

I have also expressed concerns about having a mop up commercial seine and troll fishery at the mouth for lates when early they said non natives can't fish over concerns for late run. It does have the makings of 2018 overharvest again.

HOWEVER, since they OPENED IT to COMMERCIAL HARVEST I SUPPORT a REC OPENING. I dont think people should feel guilty about going fishing when commercial and FSC are taking hundreds of thousand and sport will take maybe 20k this season,

Also i look forward to this fall and you expressing the same concerns for IFS when it comes to FSC chum fishery's.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to clarify my position.

best of luck

« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 11:10:32 AM by wildmanyeah »

Kevgor

« Reply #403 on: September 09, 2022, 12:50:10 PM »

Kevin curses in his basement looking for those 3.5 ounce Betties he bought cheap at the end of the 2018 season...
Kevgor -

Dubs604

« Reply #404 on: September 09, 2022, 02:22:09 PM »

https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=265376&ID=all

"There are limited First Nations commercial demonstration fisheries and recreational fisheries being planned or underway in areas of the mid to upper Fraser River watershed above the Thompson River confluence, where Summer run Sockeye total allowable catch is available and there are little to no impacts on returning Late run Sockeye. There are Late run Sockeye harvest opportunities underway for commercial seine and troll fisheries in Area 29, along with a gill net fishery in Area 13 harvesting Summer run and Late run Sockeye.  Recreational fisheries in the tidal and non-tidal portions of the Fraser River mainstem as well as in the Thompson River system are being planned and announced by separate fishery notices.  There are no marine recreational fisheries targeting Fraser Sockeye being planned at this time."

Bogus.   >:(