Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates  (Read 78733 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates
« Reply #285 on: September 02, 2022, 03:21:51 PM »

This one was down near the Great Blue Heron Nature Reserve this morning.

Phronesis

« Reply #286 on: September 02, 2022, 03:41:52 PM »

Somebody give these poachers a freezer !! They wont stop anyways

4x4

« Reply #287 on: September 02, 2022, 04:39:21 PM »

Brutal.

Critter Care would take those fish for sure.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 04:47:16 PM by 4x4 »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #288 on: September 02, 2022, 04:58:58 PM »

Like I said blind ignorant or you have something to gain from it .
There are absolutely well over a million salmon taken every year poached or reported. Sold from big operations to the small. Is naive a better name for you?
The Gill netting is relentless.
Chehalis for example. Not even worth fishing it anymore once the fish show up Gill net one side to the other. No joke. Just one example. Might as well shut down the hatchery.

changing your tune again! Here is what you wrote that brought my response:

Literally millions of salmon taken in Gill nets.

Not a million + but "millions". So now you are contradicting yourself plus not able to provide any concrete evidence to back up your claims which are likely fabrications and gross exaggerations. Fits "moral panic" to a tee IMO.

BTW I have nothing to gain and conversing with you is a big waste of time. It's a dead loss for me. 
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #289 on: September 02, 2022, 05:00:43 PM »

"The poachers are believed to be taking dozens of fish from the river; should the fish spoil in the hot weather, they are dumped, explained Hsu."

Would that it be so, lol.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #290 on: September 02, 2022, 05:06:43 PM »

I support FN FSC as it was intended. I even support FN in river commercial openings. I have no problem not flossing for a few sockeye. But when scientific reports are being altered or covered by up in the interest of preserving those select openings I do have a problem. The courts have ruled there  is one thing that trumps anyone's access and that is CONSERVATION! If the fish aren't there then they aren't there and shouldn't be caught. If the numbers tolerate a minimal catch then that catch should be kept minimal. And if there is an over catch then yes, they should be allowed to be sold for that year and the allowable catch should be lowered the following years.

what reports? I think you are confusing the altering of certain sentences and phrases on reports about IFS. IFS numbers have been 200 or less while this year Fraser sockeye are coming in at over 5 million. Please provide the names of the reports you are referring to! Otherwise you are making empty claims. If in total a million or so sockeye are harvested where is the conservation concern?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarki

• Old Timer

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #292 on: September 02, 2022, 06:44:23 PM »

Another story with comments by Rodney and DFO

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/highlights/fraser-river-salmon-poaching-enforcement-pathetically-low-says-guide-5769750

They're all the same article on about a dozen news outlets owned by Glacier Media Group.

chardeemacdenis

« Reply #293 on: September 02, 2022, 07:20:00 PM »

First post, long time fisher...

The DFO increased their estimates for the summer runs and seem to be waffling a bit as to whether the lates are as poor as they are forecasting.

My vote is to let them pass.

Also I was up in Lillooet for the opener and it was great. The rec fishery up there is unique and there are plenty of fish. Yes its a drive and the fish aren't dime bright and perfect but its open for rec and people should take advantage!

« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 07:27:55 PM by chardeemacdenis »
Fishing isn't catching

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #294 on: September 02, 2022, 10:20:18 PM »

I am silently judging your taste in beer 😀

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #295 on: September 02, 2022, 10:23:45 PM »

They're all the same article on about a dozen news outlets owned by Glacier Media Group.
My bad. I missed that you posted it earlier. It’s hard to to keep up! I knew I should have read back…

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #296 on: September 02, 2022, 10:41:39 PM »

This one was down near the Great Blue Heron Nature Reserve this morning.

fish repeatedly being dumped in the same spot.. and they still havent been caught seems like an easy catch
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Tylsie

« Reply #297 on: September 02, 2022, 11:49:22 PM »

what reports? I think you are confusing the altering of certain sentences and phrases on reports about IFS. IFS numbers have been 200 or less while this year Fraser sockeye are coming in at over 5 million. Please provide the names of the reports you are referring to! Otherwise you are making empty claims. If in total a million or so sockeye are harvested where is the conservation concern?

No I meant altered; but I am away taking my nephew hunting right now so dont want to spend the time looking up what was altered. I also said the DFO has a history of cover ups though and that is easy. In 2019, after several Access to Information requests regarding  “Recovery Potential Assessment for Chilcotin River and Thompson River Steelhead Trout" (the report included a variety of items such as assessment of commercial salmon fishings impact on interior steelhead) resulted in the wrong papers being sent several times an investigator was assigned by the Office of the Information Commissioner of Canada to force DFO to release the assessment. The DFO simply refused to provide the assessment to the investigator and any further Access to Information requests on by catch or any management decisions regarding salmon that may have an affect in interior steelhead are flatly refused. These are not top secret documents; these are publicly funded scientific studies that are being completely barred from public viewing.

When I get back I will try to find the specific studies that the DFO is accused of altering; the ones B.C. deputy environment minister deemed “no longer scientifically defensible" because of DFO doctoring.

Off topic: Ralph, I jwant to say thank you for your contributions to this forum. You are a wealth of wisdom and though I don't always agree with everything you write you often make me consider things differently and I have learned a lot. I hope you have a great Fall Season. All the best.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #298 on: September 03, 2022, 02:08:16 AM »

My bad. I missed that you posted it earlier. It’s hard to to keep up! I knew I should have read back…

All good. You're forgiven. ;)

fish repeatedly being dumped in the same spot.. and they still havent been caught seems like an easy catch

These are all different dump sites. The one in my video was in Hope. A couple other ones that popped up few days ago were in Mission. The one I posted yesterday was near the Great Blue Heron Nature Reserve in Chilliwack. Quite a few people suggested trail cams, but I mean, where are you going to place them?

Just to address a couple of points being made in this discussion. The science is good, the estimates and methodologies used to determine them are the best based on what's available out there. You may not agree with the decisions made after the data is presented as there are also inter-regional, sector politics involved, but don't question the science... It has to be frustrating for anyone who is involved in the scientific aspects of these fisheries to keep being told by the public who are unfamiliar with the science that the science is incorrect or deceitful. Scientists are just as frustrated as you all when decisions made do not align with their findings.

I shared another video yesterday to follow up on my first video after all the feedbacks (I literally had hundreds of messages and emails in the last few days). Including in the email are three action items I think need to happen to see the end of illegal selling, purchasing and wasting of fish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWwNLH24jCM

I'm hoping CBC and a couple other news outlets will come through with doing an interview with me this weekend. I have to be away most of next week and by the time I get back, this story will be dead since the sockeye run will be done. These conversations need to keep going if we want to see changes.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #299 on: September 03, 2022, 07:17:52 AM »

No I meant altered; but I am away taking my nephew hunting right now so dont want to spend the time looking up what was altered. I also said the DFO has a history of cover ups though and that is easy. In 2019, after several Access to Information requests regarding  “Recovery Potential Assessment for Chilcotin River and Thompson River Steelhead Trout" (the report included a variety of items such as assessment of commercial salmon fishings impact on interior steelhead) resulted in the wrong papers being sent several times an investigator was assigned by the Office of the Information Commissioner of Canada to force DFO to release the assessment. The DFO simply refused to provide the assessment to the investigator and any further Access to Information requests on by catch or any management decisions regarding salmon that may have an affect in interior steelhead are flatly refused. These are not top secret documents; these are publicly funded scientific studies that are being completely barred from public viewing.

That was pretty much what I thought and asked. Thanks for confirming it. You are not talking about coverups specifically related to sockeye and certainly not this years return. The situation with IFS stocks are radically different.

Off topic: Ralph, I jwant to say thank you for your contributions to this forum. You are a wealth of wisdom and though I don't always agree with everything you write you often make me consider things differently and I have learned a lot. I hope you have a great Fall Season. All the best.

thank you very much!