Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates  (Read 78718 times)

Dubs604

Re: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates
« Reply #240 on: August 31, 2022, 03:03:30 PM »

So that costco fish was frozen sockeye for $47 for 1.36 kg or $34.55 /kg

I saw fresh sockeye in the store yesterday for $69.97/kg the packaging says Copper River. But the www.copperriversalmon.org says the copper river sockeye season is May, June July. How can this fish be fresh here at the end of August? Wonder if its from where it says it is? I can upload the picture but not quite sure how.

My apologies if I am a little off-topic, but at these retail prices its not surprising to me that some groups are selling this on the side of the road or wherever, its makes for easy (big) money. The stuff is like a gold rush.

That's correct about the bags of frozen Alaskan sockeye.  Can't speak for anything marked Copper River, but the Costco I was at had fresh (never frozen - I checked with the department manager) sockeye for around $36/kg.  I did something today that I never thought I'd do, which is buy a few kilos of those, cut each side into four pieces, vacuum sealed and put in the freezer for next few months.  Should be about six meals worth for a family our size.

Lunk Louie

« Reply #241 on: August 31, 2022, 04:40:11 PM »

I think rod said it was 20 fish but a few days on the net and it grows to a huge pile. ::)

Not taking sides on this but for what it's worth years ago I have personally seen on several different occasions, several piles of rotting sox in the Harrison/Chehalis reserve areas (north side of the river) where some run their boats out of.....so if one is of the belief that this practice is not widespread at the very least then they need to get their head out of the sand...Rod's observation is highly unlikely an isolated incidence and you can take that to the bank.....that said maybe they should be able to sell roadside, legally????...you know, more competition equals lower prices since there is no recreational.....I think there would be a huge market regardless of potential risks, just don't make sushi

avid angler

« Reply #242 on: August 31, 2022, 05:17:36 PM »

Not taking sides on this but for what it's worth years ago I have personally seen on several different occasions, several piles of rotting sox in the Harrison/Chehalis reserve areas (north side of the river) where some run their boats out of.....so if one is of the belief that this practice is not widespread at the very least then they need to get their head out of the sand...Rod's observation is highly unlikely an isolated incidence and you can take that to the bank.....that said maybe they should be able to sell roadside, legally????...you know, more competition equals lower prices since there is no recreational.....I think there would be a huge market regardless of potential risks, just don't make sushi
where do you think most wild salmon sashimi in chilliwack sushi restaurants is from?

Roderick

« Reply #243 on: August 31, 2022, 05:28:05 PM »

It's pretty clear that it's a commercial fishery.  Some of those guys don't even like eating fish cause they had so much of it when they were growing up.  It's what they ate when there was nothing else.  The whole idea is to sell it so they can buy beef.
You shoulda been here yesterday.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #244 on: August 31, 2022, 06:02:50 PM »

Here's 30 more, freshly dumped this morning.

Yeah I know, that's still only 50 fish if we include the other dump I saw... The summer and late summer runs combined is 5.1 million fish, should be ok... :)

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #245 on: August 31, 2022, 06:14:05 PM »

Would making all FN sales legal avoid this waste or will there be even more waste?

kanuckle head

« Reply #246 on: August 31, 2022, 06:27:52 PM »

Would making all FN sales legal avoid this waste or will there be even more waste?

Its done down south, seems to be government approved and looks successful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3IrouDxtTA

mikeyman

« Reply #247 on: August 31, 2022, 07:09:03 PM »

They don'tike spending money on ice or have any more space in freezers to store them. So they go bad. Perhaps when you see this combined with fish sales everywhere it's time to shut r down.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #248 on: August 31, 2022, 07:20:03 PM »

Here's 30 more, freshly dumped this morning.

Yeah I know, that's still only 50 fish if we include the other dump I saw... The summer and late summer runs combined is 5.1 million fish, should be ok... :)

What a waste of a resource.

Phronesis

« Reply #250 on: August 31, 2022, 07:36:00 PM »

I think legalizing FN sales will atleast reduce these sort of dump, they will have an incentive to invest in some cold storage.
Lets work together, fighting will only delay any meaningful resolution, how can somebody like me help here?

mikeyman

« Reply #251 on: August 31, 2022, 07:57:13 PM »

I think legalizing FN sales will atleast reduce these sort of dump, they will have an incentive to invest in some cold storage.
Lets work together, fighting will only delay any meaningful resolution, how can somebody like me help here?

There is no way I would ever support a commercial fishery fn or not if it isn't sustainable or if the recreational angler is left scraps with all the closures. Example all the red springs shut down all summer till Sept 1. Oh you can have at the whites majority of reds gone up. Shut down for conservation on rod and reel to watch them get fished out on Gill nets. Ya piss off with the fish sales. Dfo needs to grow a sack and put a stop to it.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #252 on: August 31, 2022, 08:34:50 PM »

There is no way I would ever support a commercial fishery fn or not if it isn't sustainable or if the recreational angler is left scraps with all the closures. Example all the red springs shut down all summer till Sept 1. Oh you can have at the whites majority of reds gone up. Shut down for conservation on rod and reel to watch them get fished out on Gill nets. Ya piss off with the fish sales. Dfo needs to grow a sack and put a stop to it.

don 't know where you have been for close to 25 years but commercial FN fisheries have been in place since 1998 as long as surplus TAC has allowed.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 08:44:00 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

mikeyman

« Reply #253 on: September 01, 2022, 12:02:16 AM »

don 't know where you have been for close to 25 years but commercial FN fisheries have been in place since 1998 as long as surplus TAC has allowed.

No cupcakes. Did you read what I said. No way I would support it If conservation concerns aren't met. Which they are not. Also we used to be able to fish through the summer. This window has shrunk over the past 5 years or so to only allow the rec fishery scraps at best. I have watched it go to cupcakes for over 25 years. Cheers.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #254 on: September 01, 2022, 07:22:33 AM »

No cupcakes. Did you read what I said. No way I would support it If conservation concerns aren't met. ... Cheers.

no that isn't what you said so perhaps you should reread what you wrote "cupcakes"!

It's been in place for over 20 years. It doesn't take place if there is no sufficient TAC to support it and the issue has been to court on the accusation it was a race based fishery and the courts tossed out that claim and affirmed it's legal validity.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 07:24:53 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.