Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates  (Read 78733 times)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates
« Reply #210 on: August 30, 2022, 11:49:44 AM »

A million may be too large a number but do you really think that every sockeye caught is reported anywhere close to accurately?

Their up to almost 700k reported so a million may not be that far off. Seems like they will probably get pretty close to that milion reported number
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 11:51:34 AM by wildmanyeah »

mikeyman

« Reply #211 on: August 30, 2022, 12:15:51 PM »

Their up to almost 700k reported so a million may not be that far off. Seems like they will probably get pretty close to that milion reported number

Oh but the late runs are to low to allow a sportfishery and the Gill nets will continue from now until the end of October.  Oh did we forget about the early interior coho we have been shut down to protect no bar fishing until November now. Oh Thompson steelhead who cares about those none left to protect anymore mission accomplished. Oh dont forget Japan needs its chum roe. Send it over. But close retention of chum sportfishery as well. I think many are underestimating the full extent of how the fsc fishery is exploited. 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 12:20:32 PM by mikeyman »

Roderick

« Reply #212 on: August 30, 2022, 01:03:42 PM »

Well, if we limited it to one sockeye per resident of the lower mainland per year that would be what, maybe 2.5 million fish?   
You shoulda been here yesterday.

Dubs604

« Reply #213 on: August 30, 2022, 01:12:41 PM »

I actually buy Sockeye fillets at Costco. Good value and hopefully a reputable source. For other species I either catch it myself or if my terrible angling skills don't deliver, I use https://tidetotable.ca - locally sourced and good quality fish. Highly recommended!

How much are the Costco fillets?

coastangler

« Reply #214 on: August 30, 2022, 01:37:50 PM »

How much are the Costco fillets?

I don't recall exact price per lb but I get the frozen portions labelled as Alaskan Sockeye for about $30/bag and there are easily 7-8 portions with skin on. Each portion is about a 1/3 of a entire side fillet if that makes sense. I usually buy 2 bags and that gets my family through in terms of salmon consumption for 6-8 weeks as that's how often we go to Costco. Probably price per pound is significantly cheaper than what it would cost me to get the same amount of fish from the local rivers counting Gas, tackle, time spent, etc. I personally don't fish for the meat even though is a nice treat being able to bring fish home every now and then.
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.”
Sir Edmund Hillary

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #215 on: August 30, 2022, 01:41:15 PM »

I don't recall exact price per lb but I get the frozen portions labelled as Alaskan Sockeye for about $30/bag and there are easily 7-8 portions with skin on. Each portion is about a 1/3 of a entire side fillet if that makes sense. I usually buy 2 bags and that gets my family through in terms of salmon consumption for 6-8 weeks as that's how often we go to Costco. Probably price per pound is significantly cheaper than what it would cost me to get the same amount of fish from the local rivers counting Gas, tackle, time spent, etc. I personally don't fish for the meat even though is a nice treat being able to bring fish home every now and then.

during commercial openings usually can go get gutted rounds for $15-25 a fish down at the albion of the boats as they come in to off load. That's usually how i get my canners, Sad that won't have that opportunity,  in 2018 bought 10 for 200 bucks.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 01:42:59 PM by wildmanyeah »

Roderick

« Reply #216 on: August 30, 2022, 02:00:05 PM »

Personally I don't understand why people think buying fish from costco or the docks is any better or worse then buying if from the FN.  Certainly the fish don't care who pulls in the nets.  I think we should just ban nets.  If you want to eat a sockeye you should have to go out and catch it yourself.  Removing the cash from the equation would solve everything. 

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #217 on: August 30, 2022, 02:31:39 PM »

Personally I don't understand why people think buying fish from costco or the docks is any better or worse then buying if from the FN.  Certainly the fish don't care who pulls in the nets.  I think we should just ban nets.  If you want to eat a sockeye you should have to go out and catch it yourself.  Removing the cash from the equation would solve everything.

all your doing is transferring the cash from one industry to the other.

Dubs604

« Reply #218 on: August 30, 2022, 03:44:52 PM »

Yeah that’s not terrible. It kills me to buy like that though. Growing up, we were spoiled to have freezers full of sockeye. I didn’t know how good we had it back then.  :-\

I may look into those Costco bags. Thank you.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #219 on: August 30, 2022, 05:21:30 PM »

all your doing is transferring the cash from one industry to the other.

Oh and Costco needs that money far more than any Fn person... we all know how hard up they are!

this is all FNs really wanted - a chance to earn some money off a resource that is theirs rather than Jimmy Pattison.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Roderick

« Reply #220 on: August 30, 2022, 05:44:49 PM »

So the salmon belong to the FN?  I think not. Next you are going to say the FN own the air and the sun and the rain.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 05:48:14 PM by Roderick »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #221 on: August 30, 2022, 05:53:16 PM »

So the salmon belong to the FN?  I think not. Next you are going to say the FN own the air and the sun and the rain.

I said it's theirs. Do they not have a right to exploit it? If you think not you have missed something pretty significant. BC's oil may belong to the Province but the people who locate it and get it out of the ground get much of the benefit for it.

BTW in economics sunlight and air are known as ubiquitous resources. They are freely available in for practical purposes, unlimited supply to who ever wants them for no charge. Do fish meet this definition?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 06:10:54 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Roderick

« Reply #222 on: August 30, 2022, 06:35:49 PM »

Ya exploit is exactly the word.  When did the grand tradition of FSC become exploit? Ban the nets for every user group.

I see you left out rain.  Good thing we didn't give them the right to drink as much water as they wanted to in the treaties or the rest of us would be dying of thirst. Or buying it on the side of the road. 

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #223 on: August 30, 2022, 07:08:45 PM »

Sitting in a Chilliwack pub this afternoon enjoying a cold one. Some sketchy looking dude came in to the pub and went from table to table asking to sell fresh sockeye. I told him to beat it. A couple of the bar patrons did go outside with him to buy.

roeman

« Reply #224 on: August 30, 2022, 07:29:39 PM »

I said it's theirs. Do they not have a right to exploit it? If you think not you have missed something pretty significant. BC's oil may belong to the Province but the people who locate it and get it out of the ground get much of the benefit for it.

BTW in economics sunlight and air are known as ubiquitous resources. They are freely available in for practical purposes, unlimited supply to who ever wants them for no charge. Do fish meet this definition?
OMG.  Blah Blah Blah...  You are exhausting.
Are you fishin or catchin