Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 39

Author Topic: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates  (Read 78139 times)

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
Re: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2022, 10:13:35 AM »

At worst it's racism. At best it's ignorance. In reality, it's probably a mix of the two. I still cringe when either of my parents talk about "indians". My dad is similarly jealous of their fishing rights, and often jokes about how they love to use dynamite or shopping carts to go indian fishing. There's an old-school sense of incuriousity behind these jokes, a muddy mixture of ignorance and racism, with no desire to change either. 

There's no changing minds on the internet, so let me share some entertainment with you. There's an author named Thomas King who recorded some talks he did years ago about indigenous identity and growing up in Canada. Don't worry, he doesn't get preachy or blame anyone or make you feel guilty. His humour is deadpan and perfect, and I say that as a devoted Stuart McLean fan.

https://www.gccarra.ca/w9r-blog-feed/2020/10/ideas-podcast-revisiting-thomas-king-masseys-lectures

roeman

« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2022, 10:34:07 AM »

It has nothing to do with being jealous.  I hope that the Fraser never opens again to salmon fishing (pink, coho, spring, sockeye)  all it does is bring poor fishing methods to other rivers. FN can fish all they want for food and ceremonial purposes.  What pisses me off is when the fish are sold to idiots that buy them out of the back of a pickup.  Where do you think most of the guys sturgeon fishing are getting their fresh bait from.  I use to sturgeon fish all the time and would see boats going to shore and buying whole salmon to be used as bait for sturgeon.  I live in a strata complex with a 100 other units and in last couple of days I have seen people coming back with coolers of sockeye and springs.  This is what pisses me off.  And they justify it in their head that it is acceptable because it benefits them with fresh salmon, and openly brag that they have a freezer full of fish.  That has nothing to do with FN food and ceremonial fishing. 
Are you fishin or catchin

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2022, 11:05:42 AM »

Hood catches in area 12 last couple of days

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2022, 11:14:52 AM »

Calling FNs "citizens plus" is so shockingly biased it's hard not to ascribe to nothing other than  obnoxious racism. On pretty much every socio-economic measure of well beings FNs are far worse off than the general population!. When I say general population that includes other people who are not members of the until the present structurally privileged and entitled people (particularly males) of European background.

Even the first sentence of your post is a sort of nonsense. There is nothing in our laws that guarantees an equal access. We have to buy licenses for access. Access is controlled & restricted. These factors don't even consider the historical and legal rights of FNs who you seem to ignore were here first and at the outset the government of Canada and it's predecessor authorities recognized as long ago as 300 years and more.

Citzan plus refers to them having all the rights of Canadians plus rights and titles. A phase coined by First Nations themselves

Calling that racist is hogwash, perhaps you should give yourself a history lesson on it.

Or better yet donate your land and house to the First Nation who tradition territory your illegally settled on.  You evil colonialists shame shame shame feel shame. Feel the guilt. Hold your head down   

Using fish as some kind of currency to right these atrocities is the real Injustice. That should help increase their social economics.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 11:43:10 AM by wildmanyeah »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2022, 02:15:36 PM »

Citzan plus refers to them having all the rights of Canadians plus rights and titles. A phase coined by First Nations themselves

This is false. The term was first coined in the Hawthorne Report a government funded report published in 1967 which contrary to common belief Indian communities had not disappeared and still possessed land title and rights that flowed to them at Confederation. It was not coined by FNs.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 06:18:31 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2022, 04:56:04 PM »

And some how were discussing this instead of sockeye fishing. System working as intended I guess

bravo252

« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2022, 08:38:59 PM »

Let's bring this thread on the right track again!.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2022, 09:06:07 PM »

Let's bring this thread on the right track again!.

Absolutely, area 12 numbers are promising

bravo252

« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2022, 09:28:28 PM »

Love to hear that, sir!!!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2022, 07:22:40 AM »

never stops! Very possibly the start of the Adams River returns.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2022, 08:06:17 AM »

Most likely, they also tendency to divert to the inside

redside1

« Reply #86 on: August 19, 2022, 07:26:52 AM »

anyone now think that there will still be a recreational sockeye fishery this year on Fraser sockeye?
getting pretty late in the season if something positive is not announced when today's update comes out.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2022, 07:52:58 AM »

anyone now think that there will still be a recreational sockeye fishery this year on Fraser sockeye?
getting pretty late in the season if something positive is not announced when today's update comes out.

They announced the summers are coming in at the p50 level but fisheries are constrained by the poor return of the early summers.

There is TAC so the Americans are out fishing and so First Nations. First Nations got an increase in fsc up to 1.25 million and it seems our managers want to wait untill their catch has been achieved to think about any commercial or rec opening.

Is there gonna be a Rec and commercial opening? Still a chance maybe in September but not something I would say is a for sure thing any more.

From FB

Just got off the Fraser call. 

The Canadian Panel under Les Jantz rejected run size forecasts done by the Commission and recommended that much lower run sizes be adopted. "to be risk adverse" 

Which would mean no fisheries.  The US accepted the run size forcasts of the PSC so is "issuing a letter" tomorrow to say that they are going fishing anyway.

Canada offered to meet with the US tomorrow to see what tomorrows test fisheries bring but when the US said that they were going fishing anyway, Les said he withdrew the offer to meet tomorrow and would not meet til the regular meeting next Tuesday.  Said "Canada is bearing the whole burden of conservation"

No Fishing for us. Next mtg Tuesday.

Serious disagreement between US, Canada and PSC secretariat.  PSC recommends lates at 2 million which is somewhere between p25 and p50. US agrees with the PSC.

Bottom line, the US will go fishing even though Canada opposes the US fishery, and Canada will not fish.

Canada does not accept that Lates are really late and still coming.

The US can go fishing if PSC staff agrees with them, which they did.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 08:30:40 AM by wildmanyeah »

kanuckle head

« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2022, 10:03:32 AM »

So disappointing.....
I guess I'll just get my sockeye from the natives instead of catching my own in the salt, such a load of hog wash
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/bnc/for/d/north-vancouver-fresh-sockeye-salmon/7522821630.html

redside1

« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2022, 10:44:38 AM »

There is TAC so the Americans are out fishing and so First Nations. First Nations got an increase in fsc up to 1.25 million and it seems our managers want to wait until their catch has been achieved to think about any commercial or rec opening.

te]

one user group is getting over 7.5 million pounds of sockeye (based on a 6lb average).  There should be a lot of fish for sale if they succeed at harvesting this many.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 39