Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Changing the regs for the Chilliwack/Vedder  (Read 44858 times)

Carich980

Re: Changing the regs for the Chilliwack/Vedder
« Reply #105 on: October 23, 2013, 12:48:44 PM »

If you want spawning fish left alone by anglers, close the rivers and only target in the ocean. Problem solved.

They are all spawners, just in different stages of development.

If you cant tell the diffrence between a spawning fish and one thats entered recently your half the problem. Clean vs coloured. It isnt hard.

dnibbles

« Reply #106 on: October 23, 2013, 06:20:13 PM »

If you cant tell the diffrence between a spawning fish and one thats entered recently your half the problem. Clean vs coloured. It isnt hard.

KP, haha you know what I'm getting at here. No way a reg that only lets people keep clean fish would fly. Just trying to point out how goofy that would be.

Carich, excuse my ignorance. I haven't handled many salmon in my day, so am still learning. I forgot that fish colour up overnight, silver to fire chicken with a snap of the fingers.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #107 on: October 23, 2013, 06:33:12 PM »

KP, haha you know what I'm getting at here.
I haven't handled many salmon in my day, so am still learning.
LOL!

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #108 on: October 23, 2013, 08:08:30 PM »

Carich, excuse my ignorance. I haven't handled many salmon in my day, so am still learning. I forgot that fish colour up overnight, silver to fire chicken with a snap of the fingers.

Anyone could make the same mistake, don't be too hard on yourself. Sorta explains some of the other stuff posted. ;D
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #109 on: October 23, 2013, 09:10:11 PM »

but the complication comes with sinking lines and as such a leader length restriction is in my view unworkable as the length remains 0" in your terms despite the use of a sinking line.

Still not sure why it is complicated or unworkable, since a sinking line (ie: actual coated fly line, not just a fly tied to mono) is serving the purpose of the weight on mono (provides the angler with the ability to cast the line and allow it to sink to the required depth).  Therefore, any leader (mono, fluorocarbon, etc) tied to the sinking fly line could be measured as leader length, just as a length of leader tied to a swivel on your mono or braided mainline. I am sure the barbless hook regulation raise similar concerns of work ability when it was first introduced (all hooks sold at the time had barbs so how can you have a regulation requiring barbless hook? How can you determine if the barb is crushed adequately? etc.).
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 09:15:28 PM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #110 on: October 24, 2013, 11:22:54 AM »

Sinking and floating lines of the same AFTMA rating weigh more or less the same. Conceptionaly and practically there is no real difference between a fly on a fly line - floating or otherwise and a spinner or spoon or a jig on mono. As I said fly line isn't defined and probably will remain so I think until such time we see a regulation that limits leader length and not only defines fly line but in the regulations differentiates fly lines on a much finer basis - the view that such a regulation is unworkable is more probably correct.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Carich980

« Reply #111 on: October 25, 2013, 11:43:51 PM »

KP, haha you know what I'm getting at here. No way a reg that only lets people keep clean fish would fly. Just trying to point out how goofy that would be.

I dont get what your trying to defend here. why anyone would want to defend the killing of spawners is beyond me, maybe your one of those guys thats owns a smoker for the late season or just combines all Fish caught into fried fishcakes? To each their own. Why would you want to kill anything not silver? Its like that episode of the Simpsons where Homer chases the roast pig trying to convince himself its still good! If it aint Chrome go home.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #112 on: October 26, 2013, 12:17:30 AM »

I dont get what your trying to defend here. why anyone would want to defend the killing of spawners is beyond me, maybe your one of those guys thats owns a smoker for the late season or just combines all Fish caught into fried fishcakes? To each their own. Why would you want to kill anything not silver? Its like that episode of the Simpsons where Homer chases the roast pig trying to convince himself its still good! If it aint Chrome go home.

It is not to defend those bonking spawners, but rather those bonking fish that are in various stage of colouring up. As he says, fish do not change from chrome to "spawning" colours in one momment, they change gradually.  A Chum may be bright silver but show those bars underneath, is it legal?  A coho may appear a little dark on the belly but still be bright silver on the sides, is it illegal? When exactly does a fish stop being "chrome" and become illegal to kill?  It is one thing to say your fish is too coloured, you should release it, and it is quite another to say that fish is not chrome enough, you get a $200 fine.
Not all those who wander are lost

mojo7

« Reply #113 on: October 26, 2013, 12:29:15 PM »

Any fish you have the option to kill, within edible range of course, will be hatchery and and it is better to kill it in order to allow as  much room as possible for the wild fish to reproduce. We want as many wild fish successfully spawning as possible for their superior genetics. If your not going to use it then leave it alone. Someone else will gladly take it.

fishbandit66

« Reply #114 on: October 26, 2013, 09:29:48 PM »

The lower river should be reserved for newbies and only people with more than 10 years experience should be allowed to fish the upper IMO. And you should have to pass an exam.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #115 on: October 26, 2013, 09:53:45 PM »

The lower river should be reserved for newbies and only people with more than 10 years experience should be allowed to fish the upper IMO. And you should have to pass an exam.

I'd be all for that but only if we could change the lower boundary to be from the downstream side of the KWB to the upstream side of the Highway bridge. ;D,

And BTW, make that 10 years experience 20 or 30 instead, then you gotta deal. ;D ;D

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #116 on: October 26, 2013, 11:07:37 PM »

I go along with the exam part but how do you propose we screen and verify peoples experience level. Should we be stopped above the crossing and asked for id like at the US border. Too laughable. Perhaps like at bar's we could get govt. sponsored fishing stamps that glow flourescent under black lights to make it quicker, lol.

fishbandit66

« Reply #117 on: October 27, 2013, 08:43:32 AM »

I go along with the exam part but how do you propose we screen and verify peoples experience level. Should we be stopped above the crossing and asked for id like at the US border. Too laughable. Perhaps like at bar's we could get govt. sponsored fishing stamps that glow flourescent under black lights to make it quicker, lol.

Easy. They have a record of how many years you've been buying a license. You can only buy the A license when you've bought 10 years worth of B licenses.

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #118 on: October 27, 2013, 09:07:50 AM »

Easy. They have a record of how many years you've been buying a license. You can only buy the A license when you've bought 10 years worth of B licenses.

Yes I agree with that but how would they check you. This isn't Treo for Fishing you know. If we don't have the manpower to watch over the poachers and snaggers now how are we going to check everyone to verify what you are suggesting. Anyway I don't like the idea at all. We are all tax payers and we all deserve to fish and use the resources equally. Sorry, big NO.

fishbandit66

« Reply #119 on: October 27, 2013, 10:14:24 AM »

Yes I agree with that but how would they check you. This isn't Treo for Fishing you know. If we don't have the manpower to watch over the poachers and snaggers now how are we going to check everyone to verify what you are suggesting. Anyway I don't like the idea at all. We are all tax payers and we all deserve to fish and use the resources equally. Sorry, big NO.

Um we aren't all tax payers and even those who are don't all deserve to use the resources equally. How many Washington license plates have you seen at the vedder? And people who have no regard for the rules give up their right to fish. Your assertions just smack of ignorance and entitlement.

It wouldn't be hard to police. Last time I checked the licensing system has a "classified waters" tag to fish on certain lakes eg Shuswap. I'm sure the COs manage to police that fishery and it's about a million times bigger than the vedder.