Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boats (Which Type?)  (Read 3437 times)

All Tangled Up

• Go Fish!
Boats (Which Type?)
« on: August 11, 2004, 09:57:20 PM »

Hi all I thought I would get a late start on the Fraser River fishery and was wondering what would be a more stable boat. I am thinking of buying a 14' boat with a 15hp motor. My question is whether or not to buy the V style boat or the flat bottom 'Jon' boat. Thanks for any info you all may have. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have that might assist me in this endeavor.

Bantam_50

Re:Boats (Which Type?)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 10:29:55 PM »

IMO...Go with the V-hull...more stable in other waters...that way you can use it in the ocean, lakes and not worry about choppy water conditions. If you can afford it, go with the welded hull models, like Gregor, Alumaweld ect.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 08:16:52 AM »

V-hull.  No question.  I've seen the edge of a john boat get caught in the current and flip.  Go V-hull.  

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 12:17:26 PM »

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE "NORTH RIVER"  ;D

Dale9

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 05:27:38 PM »

If you ever want to take it on a lake (or even very very tame salt-water applications.....like really really close to shore in the salt-water) then a reasonable semi-V hull like I have is best.

If no waves ever expected (such as rivers only), then the flat-bottom would be fine.  Flat-bottoms are usually a bit cheaper too, all things being equal.

I like the steering on a semi-V versus the flat-bottom, however (the V is nice as it digs in a bit on turns)

One problem with flat-bottom boats, is that since they are built for mostly non-wave environments, they don't have much free-board...could be a problem if you have a motor on the back, and you weigh 200lbs....I've seen maybe 3 INCHES of ACTUAL free-board in a situation like that....a bit dangerous.

Keep in mind that on the Harrison RIVER, where it opens way up going around Kilby where the bay is that 2' waves are not uncommon....no fun in a flat-bottom boat.

If you go in any lake of any decent size then I'd forego the flat-bottom boat.

Note: tiny boats, such as 7' or so, seem to NOT have semi-Vs since, I believe, they would tip side to side too much.  But a boat 14'+ shouldn't have that particular problem, at least not nearly as much as a real tiny boat.  You see huge "V"s on 25' boats, but not the same (18 degree) "V"s on 9' boats, for example.

All Tangled Up

• Go Fish!
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 08:11:38 PM »

Thanks for all the info everyone. I will definitely go for a v-hull, since I want to take the boat in the ocean once in a while to go crabbing.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2004, 09:50:55 PM »

Smart choice

otto

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2004, 04:55:56 PM »

a couple of years ago i built a tiny Jon boat out of plywood for lake fishing. me being me i over built it and added floatation foam front and rear under the seats, and on the side walls to make it more bouyant. was able to add 2 deep cycle marine batts and a electric motor (60 lb thrust!!!!). boat went like stink on the lakes. i decided to use it for crossing the fraser to get to Herrling etc. added 2 huge outrigger pontoons (each filled with foam) and added two more electric motors, one on each pontoon. now had a combined output of almost 180 LBs thrust. trolled up and down rivers, lakes and swamps with that thing. tried salt water a few times but did'nt like the creaking of the wood. eventually sold the boat and motors to a guy in bellingham for his kids to use on their lake.

that being said, i would go for a vhull if your heading to saltwater. Jon boats are real iffy once the waves hit....

« Last Edit: August 14, 2004, 05:08:26 PM by otto »

ocean_going

• fish on
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2004, 09:34:38 PM »

yes I agree   v hull is the way, I have a 16ft' lake boat   kinda scared to go out on the  chuck   not comfortable  about it. been out there     but the wheather  is   you never know   it has to be a perfect day or forget it