Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to use a center pin course? Is there such thing?  (Read 5130 times)

Wool

How to use a center pin course? Is there such thing?
« on: April 09, 2014, 10:22:00 PM »

Backlashes and a destroyed thumb from getting in the way of the handles. Anyone else new?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: How to use a center pin course? Is there such thing?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 10:44:34 PM »

Practice, practice, practice and more practice.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 11:51:21 PM »

first of all before learning to cast get a feel for your hand placement on the reel choosing which finger on that hand will act as a drag and free spool using the finger to stop or slow down the release of the line...when you feel comfortable practice short casting bc style having the release point behind you and using the flex of the rod to prevent the running of the reel...let the sling action of the forward motion shoot the line out and using that same finger to control the speed of the reel's rotation like you would use your thumb to control the spool rotation of a bait caster...it's all about muscle memory and repetitive movement.

Wool

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 12:06:10 AM »

Hand placement is the strangest, ive learned those little handles will do a number on the end of your thumb. Lol

I'm getting out about 40 yards, but, placement is eratic. Just when youre feeling your confidence is rising and you add a little speed to the throw - backlash. I miss the Abu.

Remember practise, practise when some guy crosses lines with you, lol.

Wool

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 12:08:35 AM »

I understand what your saying, but, it's border-lining Jedi Knight.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 07:53:39 AM »

When I first started many moons ago I found it helpful if I chewed gum at the same time.Lol
Riverman

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 08:22:42 AM »

When you are starting out don't think about distance but try to feel the rod load up. Use the flex of the rod to lob the weight forward. If you try to force it and try to whip it out like you can with a bait caster, then there is high chance of bird's nest and it doesn't really go much further. Once you get the casting done, very few people go back to bait casters for float fishing as it is much more fun and effective in landing a fish.

mvelasco

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 11:12:18 AM »

As previously mentioned get a feel for the rod loading. When you try to bomb it don't free spool.i keep a little but of tension on the spool so that if there is a gust of wind it won't take my line.its a much more of a delicate cast compared to a bait caster.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 05:22:06 PM »

There is an ongoing course for this.
Its at your local park or waterway.

Its a feel thing, so get out there and practice.

Try different weights and don't try to cast too far at first.
Nobody starts out running........

losos

Wool

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 07:34:50 PM »

I was in the park last night and I got off about 10 descent cast as will as 5 Backlashes and I still can't feel my thumb from the handles hitting it at about 1000 rpm! I went into Sea Run and Chris and Cory put me into a custom rod built by Walter. sage 3113MB, 11' 3". This thing looks like a hot rod. The feel is strnger then the Shimono, so I prey thats a good thing. I even was taught by Chris how to hold and cast. Amazing how it takes just one word to ring the bell how stupid you are! I don't think I could take another rap on the hand like that again. Cory explained everything on the rod, the kid knows his stuff. I'll take my lessons and try to build on them. I think I miss spin casting for small mouth in Ontario....not.

Wool

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 07:35:32 PM »

Losos, video is great.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 09:21:28 PM »

i started cp on that rod as well. i love your comment about the jedi knight thing. too funny. one thing that worked for me when i was learning was to have your back to the river and do a half swing and finish facing the river. this lets you have lots of time to load the rod up. also make sure your using enough lead. it sounds like your using two hands on the real which you need to get away from. on the hand thats holding the rod below the reel should also be the hand you are using to but pressure on the reel so it doesn't over spin.

Wool

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 09:38:59 PM »

I could picture Darth Vader doing this!!

That second finger as a drag makes all the sence. For some reason I had it as my reeling hand cupping the spinning spool.

Wool

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 09:42:10 PM »

Why aren't you guys charging $50 for an hour in the park teaching? I believe you would be surprised the interest, and make a few bucks. Then sell them the better rod and reel?? You could sell the idea on Dragons Den??