Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any love for the north arm?  (Read 2193 times)

Wulff Man

Any love for the north arm?
« on: September 10, 2009, 01:29:27 PM »

Since i live right on the north arm of the Fraser in Vancouver ive been stoked to get out there - and being so close allows me to go before work. Thats the good news, the bad news is i havent even seen a dorsal break the surface let alone take my hook.
Im wondering if things will pick up or will the north produce better throughout the run? anyone have some history from years past? it seems a bit strange since most of the fish would motor right past the mouth of the north arm.

barnun

Re: Any love for the north arm?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 01:58:23 PM »

north arm seems to get a lot fewer fish -- not sure why. I've caught a singular pink in the north arm in my life -- thats it, and it was near the end of September....

Kevgor

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 02:17:06 PM »

I saw quite a few finning the surface yesterday afternoon around 5 pm. Tight lipped though, no biters. Upper North Arm.
Kevgor -

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 02:31:04 PM »

I've seen fish finning and jumping at the end of Byrne road, Fraser Foreshore Park, I think it's called and occasionally see some people fishing there but haven't seen anyone catch salmon there just coarsefish.  Today was there around 11am and there were more breaking the surface then previous days.

Looks like a nice place to fish and have often thought about it because it's 5 mins away from my place but end up driving to the South Arm instead.

mattyo

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 06:26:37 PM »

I think once the run is closer to its peak, you'll see some better fishing down that way!! Been to Leader bar quite a few times without fish. The other side of the river, that's a different story! ;D ;D

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 06:42:19 PM »

i fished the North Arm this past weekend and hooked into one pink but lost it at shore...there definitely are fish, but you have to really look for them (and for the spots that they'll tend to frequent)...like everyone else said, I think there's way more that roll up the South Arm instead of the North Arm...I think Rodney used to fish the North Arm a fair bit back in the day so maybe he'll provide some more insight

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 07:10:57 PM »

The Stave, Pitt, Alouette, Coquitlam and Harrison rivers all get pinks ( obviously Harrison gets the most numbers ) so it would be safe to say that some of these pinks would be travelling on the north side. The north side seems deeper than the south side so it may not be that their are less fish but that they are down deeper. It would also mean that it would be harder to target them since you have to cover more water. With the visibility being only 12-18 inches the fish can only see that far away. So if your fishing in 30 feet of water what do you think your chances are at catching them unless you know where they are?  Thats my theory ( or guess LOL )

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Stu

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 07:30:54 PM »

I was able to try around 10:30 under the Arthur Laing Bridge on the north side of the river for half an hour.
I didn't see any jumps, the water felt like void of any life.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 07:33:08 PM »

Talked to a guy this morning who said there's a commercial opening for pinks at the mouth. If true, that may explain for the apparent lack of fish moving through.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 07:56:20 PM »

There was a huge convoy of commercial boats leaving Garry Point from 8-9am this morning.
I assume they would have been targetting pinks.