Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Norwegian Virus In Supermarket Farm Salmon  (Read 23731 times)

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
Re: New Norwegian Virus In Supermarket Farm Salmon
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2012, 02:36:24 PM »

-1 ;D
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2012, 03:56:10 PM »

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2012, 04:21:20 PM »

It is interesting to read the comments.  AM=not too popular.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 04:23:34 PM by aquapaloosa »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2012, 04:49:48 PM »

You guys are not too popular either but I am sure you are not worried either, goes with the territory. ;D ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2012, 04:54:20 PM »

I might add they most likely said the same about the East Coast cod fishery. :o

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2012, 10:48:51 PM »

In the articles posted above, Morton herself admits that testing store bought salmon is not her first choice, and she says she has asked for access to the farms to test their fish directly, but they have refused...but who can blame them.  I wouldn't want anyone testing my disease free, toxin free, tasty pink fleshed salmon either.

In the article aquapaloosa posted, Morton says these fish were undersized.  Could this be because the farmers harvested them early after detecting the virus and before any disease killed them?  Furthermore, even if these fish were only carriers of the virus, the danger is the spread of the virus to wild fish passing near the pens or eating smaller fish that swim through the pens, which could later succumb to disease as they make the stressful journey to the spawning beds...but we all know THAT could never happen.

Why should Morton be allowed to test their fish directly?  I would rather see someone competent to actually do the testing.  After that episode with Sockeye smolts from River’s Inlet last October I don’t blame fish farmers for not being too thrilled about Morton wanting access.

Undersized?  If these fish had this deadly disease they should have been dead long before they reached this size.  Morton says they were undersized?  Of course she is going to say that…She likes to work her conclusions to fit her results.  I guess one can assume that the farmers did this or that, but for now that is just speculation.  We will never really know because Morton never took the time to do a proper study as I alluded to already.  People like Morton were once invited to work with fish farmers but I think that invitation has worn thin with all this media hype now.  It is not about science anymore with Morton.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2012, 08:20:55 AM »

It is interesting to read the comments.  AM=not too popular.

You guys are apparently thinking she's in some kind of a popularity contest.....   I believe her only concern is saving the wild salmon.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2012, 08:25:53 AM »

Why should Morton be allowed to test their fish directly?  I would rather see someone competent to actually do the testing.  After that episode with Sockeye smolts from River’s Inlet last October I don’t blame fish farmers for not being too thrilled about Morton wanting access.

You really need to check your facts....   Morton doesn't do the testing on the fish, she never has. All the samples she collects are sent to qualified labs for testing.

As far as fish farmers not allowing access.... if I had something to hide I wouldn't want to allow access either. Do you think the fish farms would have self reported that they were catching and killing wild salmon along with the farmed stock?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 08:28:32 AM by alwaysfishn »
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2012, 09:18:47 AM »

As far as fish farmers not allowing access.... if I had something to hide I wouldn't want to allow access either. Do you think the fish farms would have self reported that they were catching and killing wild salmon along with the farmed stock?

Salmon farms are not hiding anything.  That idea is just part of your conspiracy theory.

If I owned a salmon farming company why would I give information to any individual whose primary purpose it to get rid of me regardless of facts.  Morton time and time again has been proven wrong.  This after taking information (no mater where she gets it from) and delivering it in a manor that suits her cause.  Make no mistake AM is an activist apposing salmon farms.  Her purpose is activism under the flag of saving wild salmon which I strongly believe she is not.  Promoting the consumption of wild salmon is not saving them. Gathering support from all the other interested partys is not saving them.  

What ever happened to ISAe???  Remember the big press release where it was ISAe they said they found with there pail white faces.  Now they are not talking about it much.  Hmmm, why is that?

You ever heard of by-catch?  This bycatch of wild salmon happens in many forms.  Are you aware of how many different types.  Are you aware of the management practices in place for all the different types. If  You want to worry about by catch you should start by looking long and hard at commercial fishing.  There is where you will find a way way way larger amount of by catch.  Not to detract from salmon farming bycatch.  Salmon farms are in a good position to manage bycatch and keep it to a minimum though it always has be very low.

I will ask you this question again:  The fact is that some of the supporters here are accomplished fish biologists that have worked in other (salmon)fields entirely and for many years.  Those individuals seem to bring the most to this forum when it comes to information about salmon management.  So why would they support salmon farming in BC?  Why?  How could it be?  

Insert conspiracy theory here, I guess.

PCB's here...

What happened in chili and norway etc here.....

Dye here.....

Dead Zones here....

Conversion here....

AF,  Did you read Everydays post on the other thread.  Might be a good little refresher for you.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 09:28:50 AM by aquapaloosa »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2012, 01:25:56 PM »

Salmon farms are not hiding anything.  That idea is just part of your conspiracy theory.

If I owned a salmon farming company why would I give information to any individual whose primary purpose it to get rid of me regardless of facts.  Morton time and time again has been proven wrong.  This after taking information (no mater where she gets it from) and delivering it in a manor that suits her cause.  Make no mistake AM is an activist apposing salmon farms.  Her purpose is activism under the flag of saving wild salmon which I strongly believe she is not.  Promoting the consumption of wild salmon is not saving them. Gathering support from all the other interested partys is not saving them. 

Of course she is an activist who opposes salmon feedlots! Why should she be viewed more critically than the activists who oppose the Enbridge pipeline or the activists that oppose smoking in any public places, or the environmentalists that are against clear cutting, or for that matter any government agency that monitors businesses that process food in order to ensure that our food is safe for us to eat??

How would you feel if the government was the only one that could provide input into the environmental approval of the Enbridge pipeline and "activists" were muzzled. Unfortunately you and a few others on this forum are so convinced that the feedlots are harmless that you can't see the need to look at them with an unbiased and critical eye. Applying your attitudes and arguments to any other environmental issues would allow government and business to do whatever they wanted in order to generate taxes and profits. That isn't good policy, and it would be irresponsible. It's a fundamental part of a democratic nation.

By the way, although it's typical of the feedlot business to redirect blame when they can't defend their own position, you need to know that AM has never promoted the consumption of wild salmon!

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2012, 01:32:33 PM »

No worries AF pretty soon youll have your pipeline and tankers of our coast and after a few leaks (and they will happen BTW) there will be no salmon or steelhead for us to bitch and whine about and finally AM will have to shut her pie hole... ;D
Take the T out of Morton.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2012, 01:40:57 PM »

You really need to check your facts....   Morton doesn't do the testing on the fish, she never has. All the samples she collects are sent to qualified labs for testing.
Trust me af, Shuswapsteve knows his facts ;)  He knows AM doesn't do the testing as do we all.  He is suggesting she is not qualified to do the sampling, as her previous submissions have shown time and time again.

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2012, 02:04:58 PM »

AF,  Will you answer this question?:

The fact is that some of the supporters here are accomplished fish biologists that have worked in other (salmon)fields entirely and for many years.  Those individuals seem to bring the most to this forum when it comes to information about salmon management.  So why would they support salmon farming in BC?  Why?  How could this be? 

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2012, 02:16:18 PM »

Why should she be viewed more critically than the activists who oppose the Enbridge pipeline or the activists that oppose smoking in any public

Her track record of being wrong for one.
Her record of being uncorrectable.
Her practice of hand picking data.
Her practice of hand picking seines.
Her practice of  changing topics
Her practice of not following up.
Her practice of media use.
Her practice of misleading the public.
What have I missed?

ISAe (europe), what about that one.  Again, remember the big press release.  Just a lie.  Just wrong. Just misleading.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 05:24:43 PM by aquapaloosa »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2012, 03:47:56 PM »

AF,  Will you answer this question?:

The fact is that some of the supporters here are accomplished fish biologists that have worked in other (salmon)fields entirely and for many years.  Those individuals seem to bring the most to this forum when it comes to information about salmon management.  So why would they support salmon farming in BC?  Why?  How could this be? 

Maybe they will give their names along with the degrees they have and where they are or were employed. ;D ;D ;D