Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hicks Lake, June 19th 2011  (Read 750 times)

markyboy

Hicks Lake, June 19th 2011
« on: June 20, 2011, 09:23:00 AM »

First time out on Hick's Lake for about 4 years. Despite the constant rain and cold wind there were a number of boats out (probably 5 or 6 at any given time) plus a handful of shore fishermen. Nice to not have to pay to park (especially given the costs of gas). The jetty that used to be there is gone now all that is left is the very end piece. This is a shame as it made getting in and out of the water much easier when it is busy.

Caught 4 fish, all cutties. 3 small (around 8 inches) and one decent one of just under 12 inches. All caught trolling a leech pattern on the shoals between 8 and 15ft depth. Missed a number of bites and another couple got off before the boat but I think this in part was due to the size of the fish.

Was very surprised at the lack of fish showing up on the depthfinder, a few years back you could find spots with 20 or 30 fish quite frequently. I think the fishing pressure on this lake plus the lack of stocking is taking its toll (at least I can't find any mention of Hicks being stocked there past few years). It's a pretty big lake so I may have missed them but all the usual spots that I had built up from fishing this for many years seemed to be largely empty. That said 4 fish isn't a bad days work so it's probably worth another trip at some point.

colin6101

Re: Hicks Lake, June 19th 2011
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 03:10:22 PM »

The fishery website is having some issues right now for me but I'm positive that hicks gets stocked every year. Usually it is later then other local lakes though but it does receive around 5000 cutties every year. Good on you for getting some fish out of that lake though, it can be a tough one to fish especially if the wind comes up!

bcguy

Re: Hicks Lake, June 19th 2011
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 09:08:41 PM »

I have seen some nice Cutties come out of there, 2+ LBS, but not too many in the last couple of years
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB