Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wholesale Sports in AB?  (Read 5321 times)

kindalonismo

Wholesale Sports in AB?
« on: February 10, 2011, 11:02:50 PM »

Hi Guys,

I am heading to Calgary this weekend and noticed there is a Wholesale sports and a Bass Pro shops. 

I am looking for new waders and saw some Simms Freestones ($199) or a couple of brands Wholesale sports sell.  Any thoughts?  Thought it could be good to save the tax.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: Wholesale Sports in AB?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 07:34:38 AM »

http://www.basspro.com/White-River-Breathable-Waders-ChestHigh,-LaceUp-Boot/product/53431/-1015760

For 39 bucks and less tax. Money saved almost pays for the gas to get there. Of course you can pay more for a brand name. Army and Navy in Calgary too.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

kispiox

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 10:22:28 AM »

ya bass pro is just outside calgary in balzac ab about 15min north on #2 ...and if your a fishermen its a must see you will love it...........simms all the way wholesale wader brands are cupcakes.....

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 11:03:22 AM »

I would check out Bass Pro myself. my dad was in there last year for the first time and it took him about 3-4hrs just to check out the fishing area  :o Im hoping to go check it out this year when i visit family.

wholesale waders dont have to suck if you buy their better or best ones. I am on my 2nd pair of Cabelas waders and they have out performed Simms big time for me. I have had Simms and had all them leak around 3 months so they are backup pairs or lender pairs and these ones im wearing now are almost finishing up their 2nd full season  ;D the pair i had before this got leaky feet about 1month shy of 2 full seasons

HOOK - doesnt mind paying $200 for Cabelas waders instead of $600+ for Simms
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

kindalonismo

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 11:13:55 AM »

Thanks for the info guys!  Heading to Cochrane so will need to take a little detour  ;D

I am adding Bass Pro-shop to the to do list this weekend.

noxcape

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 02:27:54 PM »

im in calgary right now being to bass pro shop 4 time so much to see and do there also stuff for the kids there  and wait untill you see the sie of the rainbows they got in there huge aqarium

Kype

• Try the fly!
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 10:30:06 AM »

When do we get a Bass Pro shop in Vancouver??????  ???
Try the fly!

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 03:25:06 PM »

i think they are thinking of putting a Bass Pro shop in Abbotsford  ;)

I did hear this from a bunch of different people/places
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 04:31:32 PM »

I am also going up to Calgary area next week and was think of checking out the Bass Pro shop.
It's the one along HW#2 on the right hand side as you drive up north from the airport?

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 05:36:10 PM »

As for a Bass Pro Shop in the lower mainland I will believe it when I see it. They would have to change the focus of the shop to salmon and saltwater fishing and drop a lot of the walleye and bass fishing stuff they sell presently. However, if they ever did come in, you can expect some local fishing tackle and fly shops to close. You can only cut the pie so many ways.

Danube Boy

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 10:44:19 PM »

As for a Bass Pro Shop in the lower mainland I will believe it when I see it. They would have to change the focus of the shop to salmon and saltwater fishing and drop a lot of the walleye and bass fishing stuff they sell presently. However, if they ever did come in, you can expect some local fishing tackle and fly shops to close. You can only cut the pie so many ways.

Very true. And as for Basspro 'changing the focus of the store', I doubt they would do that, although I know you said it without implying that as a likely move. Imo, Cabelas would be a far better option for LM anglers considering their more broad tackle selection.

noxcape

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 10:54:47 PM »

youd be suprised how much they change there store for the local area there is not much bass stuff at the bps out here but lots of trout stuff anf they have an awesome fly store in store

fyi when i was out here last july i asked the manager when they would be opening one and i was told soon and they own property in abby

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 09:37:55 AM »

youd be suprised how much they change there store for the local area there is not much bass stuff at the bps out here but lots of trout stuff anf they have an awesome fly store in store
fyi when i was out here last july i asked the manager when they would be opening one and i was told soon and they own property in abby
i have heard wholesale sports in WA state is packed with bass gear. all the walmarts are insane for fishing gear as well.  why cant there be a store that will carry a  decent selection of bass gear here in bc?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 12:52:47 PM by joska »
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

kindalonismo

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 11:40:26 AM »

I am also going up to Calgary area next week and was think of checking out the Bass Pro shop.
It's the one along HW#2 on the right hand side as you drive up north from the airport?

Hey bigblue,

Just North of the airport on #2...can't miss it! It was 35 min drive from the SW.  Didn't have enough time there on the weekend, but could have looked at reels for at least 45 mins, all on display to try out and compare.  Was well worth the trip!

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 05:04:03 PM »

Hey bigblue,

Just North of the airport on #2...can't miss it! It was 35 min drive from the SW.  Didn't have enough time there on the weekend, but could have looked at reels for at least 45 mins, all on display to try out and compare.  Was well worth the trip!

Took time off from my business trip to Alberta and stopped by the Bas Pro Shop north of Calgary.
Wow.... there were so much stuff there!
Most stuff were for bass and prairie fishing, but the breath of selection was amazing for someone from Vancouver.
They had an entire aisle devoted to crappie tube jigs! Amazing! Bought some for steelheading.

I spent about an hour or so wondering around and bought some tackle, but could not stay long.
Things were quite a bit cheaper than in BC and tax is only 5% to boot!
It was well worth the trip.
I think I will make another trip before I return to BC. ;D