Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: For those in the know. Will socks open?  (Read 31469 times)

Easywater

• Old Timer
Re: For those in the know. Will socks open?
« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2012, 01:31:34 PM »

Just a general question,

What is the number off fish that survive from egg to spawn. Or I guess out of all the eggs that come from one fish, how many will come back.

So if 3 million sockeye spawn, how many will come back in 4 years... on average
2 to 5 percent of fry return to spawn.

3 million spawners = 60,000 to 150,000 return.

FishingKing

« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2012, 01:55:02 PM »

It's more like 2 to 5 percent of the eggs each female sockeye lays returns. So lets say each female sockeye lays 3000 eggs, so 2 to 5 percent of 3000 fry would return.

FishingKing

« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2012, 02:00:57 PM »

I'm not sure how many eggs each salmon has, just throwing numbers but pretty much 2 to 5 percent of the fry return from each female fish.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #93 on: August 19, 2012, 02:55:29 PM »

I'm not sure how many eggs each salmon has, just throwing numbers but pretty much 2 to 5 percent of the fry return from each female fish.

Yours is likely a more accurate statement than "3 million spawners = 60,000 to 150,000 return"
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

samw

« Reply #94 on: August 19, 2012, 03:10:06 PM »

I don't agree with your racial stereotypes.  
Do you think this improves relations between the two groups?...
Think ahead to a peaceful future of co-existing and perhaps things will not be so jagged around the edges.

**EDIT**
You're a Canadian. We are multi-cultural Nation. Get real.

Ok, I don't want to sidetrack but need to address the comment about my msg being racist.  I haven't said anything that isn't already accepted by our gov't and by the academics.  That information is easily found.

http://www.policyalternatives.ca/sites/default/files/uploads/publications/reports/docs/Aboriginal%20Income%20Gap.pdf
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2010/04/08/aboriginal-income-disparity.html
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/01/28/bc-rae-speech.html

I support the FN rights to fish.  Some people (not all) are getting upset with the rights given to the FN because it affects their recreation to fish for sockeye and they think it is unfair.  Although there are a few legitimate concerns, some (not all) people are jumping on the hate wagon because of personal inconveniences in their recreation.  All I'm trying to point out is how good we have it and put some perspective on things.   I like having cultural diversity.  I enjoy watching dip netting.  I don't have a problem with sockeye being opened for FN only (if the fishery can support it of course).

If its on average Brian then race has nothing to do with it does it? Not really a racist comment if by average this goupr lives below the poverty line. That being said I have no idea of what the average native income is so I can't comment on that but numbers are numbers.

dereke, the stats are in the 2nd link above.  

A poverty line that is determined by a different culture of people. They do not share the same ideals as poverty as you.

I agree with that.   We could use the relative definition but things are still not rosy.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 03:30:07 PM by samw »

samw

« Reply #95 on: August 19, 2012, 03:13:56 PM »

Typo.  I think you meant 3 million eggs or fry.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #96 on: August 19, 2012, 07:15:53 PM »

Yes, sorry - 2 different things.

The first number is correct. "SAR" (Smolt to Adult Return)

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2012, 04:53:07 PM »

Why is it that FN is still allowed to fish and harvest close to 500,000 fish in a low cycle year? What is the right number for DFO to say FN has enough fish for their food & ceremony purpose? Why not shut down the river now for all fishing if even c/r sockeye by the sparse crowd of spring fishermen is considered endangering the sockeye stock? Even the test nets kill a lot more sockeyes than the possible mortality of c/r sockeyes. Shut that down too. We don't need to kill more sockeye unnecessarily.

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2012, 05:05:28 PM »

Why is it that FN is still allowed to fish and harvest close to 500,000 fish in a low cycle year? What is the right number for DFO to say FN has enough fish for their food & ceremony purpose? Why not shut down the river now for all fishing if even c/r sockeye by the sparse crowd of spring fishermen is considered endangering the sockeye stock? Even the test nets kill a lot more sockeyes than the possible mortality of c/r sockeyes. Shut that down too. We don't need to kill more sockeye unnecessarily.

This from a BBer..... ;D
Take the T out of Morton.

mikeyman

« Reply #99 on: August 20, 2012, 05:07:57 PM »

hmmm...bye bye sockeye, no more, net net and net some more. Even if they open the rec fishing why bother supporting an opening for such a low number return. It is crazy that the DFO will let the netting continue and put a ban on the sport fisherman to selectively fish, not that I support bottom bouncing, but what is the point when 25% of the run has already been scooped up, and they are worried about the .00000001 % of the fish accidental flossed by a Spring snagger. Wow what an unequal equation. my smelly socks! Nobody should be fishing at all for sockeye!!!!!!!! Let the 2.5 million fish spawn and maybe...just maybe the next cycle will double if not triple in size assuming that environmental factors don't take over.

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #100 on: August 20, 2012, 08:19:21 PM »

and they are worried about the .00000001 % of the fish accidental flossed by a Spring snagger. Wow what an unequal equation. ********!

My buddies wanted to go bb for a spring a couple of weeks ago so I tagged along, having not hooked any sockeye the last time out. That afternoon we hooked 20 sox between us. 1 by the gill rakers, 1 by the belly. Not exactly  .00000001 % of the run; and that's just three guys in 4 hours. :(

Nobody should be fishing at all for sockeye!!!!!!!!

Agreed.
A rig out of water catches no fish.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #101 on: August 21, 2012, 01:38:15 AM »

This from a BBer..... ;D

BBers do care about the fish stock in case you don't know. We will sweat for our spring and refuse to go the back fence for some cheap FN soc.  ;D ;D

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #102 on: August 21, 2012, 09:45:44 AM »

Like I said earlier Ive quit, but the thing is can you..obviously not cause your a meat fisher. Better yet have a bowl of sharkfin soup.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 01:48:39 PM by Bassonator »
Take the T out of Morton.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #103 on: August 22, 2012, 05:00:10 PM »

Like I said earlier Ive quit, but the thing is can you..obviously not cause your a meat fisher. Better yet have a bowl of sharkfin soup.
I wonder how many are continuing TOW;ing out there? ??? Maybe Bent Rods will let us know.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #104 on: August 22, 2012, 07:46:35 PM »

I wonder If people started calling the CO's continuously, telling them that people are ignoring the advisory and still continuing to BB everywhere that maybe, just maybe, they'd do something more stingent, like ban the BB method all together.

Worth a shot. I mean all they can do is nothing, and we're already used to that.  ;D ::)