Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: For those in the know. Will socks open?  (Read 31471 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: For those in the know. Will socks open?
« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2012, 05:28:48 PM »

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=145473&ID=recreational
While fishing for chinook and chum salmon, anglers are advised to avoid using
fishing methods such as bottom bouncing that catch sockeye salmon and use other
fishing methods that are selective.

The first principle of selective fishing is to avoid catching non-targeted
stocks.  This means that anglers should use methods that do not catch sockeye.

The following fishing methods enable anglers to catch chinook and chum salmon
and avoid sockeye salmon interceptions:

Bar Fishing
Trolling Spoons at Creek mouths
Float Fishing
Pulling Plugs
Fly Fishing

I wonder how many people will comply?

Sad if you donot.

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2012, 06:21:10 PM »

While fishing for chinook and chum salmon, anglers are advised to avoid using
fishing methods such as bottom bouncing that catch sockeye salmon and use other
fishing methods that are selective.

The first principle of selective fishing is to avoid catching non-targeted
stocks.  This means that anglers should use methods that do not catch sockeye.

The following fishing methods enable anglers to catch chinook and chum salmon
and avoid sockeye salmon interceptions:

Bar Fishing
Trolling Spoons at Creek mouths
Float Fishing
Pulling Plugs
Fly Fishing

I wonder how many people will comply?

Sad if you donot.

I must concur.
Take the T out of Morton.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2012, 06:25:20 PM »

I must concur.
I would also suggest those that continue now put themelves before the well being of our fish stocks. :'( :(

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2012, 06:32:23 PM »

Hell if I aint buyin from FN anymore this should be easy.
Take the T out of Morton.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2012, 06:43:06 PM »

Hell if I aint buyin from FN anymore this should be easy.

Yes, I always admire people that correct what they now see was the incorrect thing to be doing.

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2012, 06:52:33 PM »

Would be nice to see DFO, or other body, out on the river giving people a heads-up. I know people are supposed to read these in-season changes but, let's face it, most probably don't really read them that closely. It's most likely word-of-mouth ("sockeye are open? let's GOOOOOO!!")
A rig out of water catches no fish.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2012, 07:49:13 PM »

Would be nice to see DFO, or other body, out on the river giving people a heads-up. I know people are supposed to read these in-season changes but, let's face it, most probably don't really read them that closely. It's most likely word-of-mouth ("sockeye are open? let's GOOOOOO!!")
Most people have computers these days and should check notices but hey don't all read fishingwithrod.com? ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2012, 07:52:52 PM »

Most people have computers these days and should check notices but hey don't all read fishingwithrod.com? ;D ;D
And for those that donot read FWR please send to your friends that plan ro go out this weekend.

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=145461&ID=recreational

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2012, 09:38:41 PM »

And for those that donot read FWR please send to your friends that plan ro go out this weekend.

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=145461&ID=recreational

Yes. Please. I'd like to be able to toss in my spin n' glo for once!!  ::)
A rig out of water catches no fish.

dnibbles

« Reply #85 on: August 18, 2012, 09:06:59 AM »

This is likely the strongest working yet from DFO on this topic. Unfortunately, it still isn't good enough to get the point across. This would be the perfect year to shut 'er down when the snaggers continue to flaunt this "request", ruining it for the rest of the true sporties. While they're at it, I would love to see a complete closure of the Vedder from Sweltzer Creek down ~ 500m in August and September. Over 300 sockeye reported bonked last year, and I would speculate that many more that number were not reported (it's illegal after all).

When "sporties" clearly demonstrate they are unable to follow requests (release sockeye in Vedder, do not target sockeye in Fraser), it's time to make it easy for them.

UNfortunately, I have very little faith this could happen. Basically got laughed at when I enquired about it last year.

buck

« Reply #86 on: August 18, 2012, 10:17:48 AM »

dnibbies  The by-catch of Cultus sockeye in the commercial fishery would take far more fish than the sport fisherman. They are allowed an allocation of Cultus fish in exchange for pike minnow removal from Cultus lake. If DFO were to protect Cultus fish they would have to
shut down the commercial fishery which will never happen. Once again people are targeting the wrong user group. I do agree anglers should take the time to properly ID their catch. DFO managers were informed that marking sockeye with an adipose fin clip would lead to misidentification of these fish. People just assume that a adipose fin clipped fish is a coho.

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #87 on: August 18, 2012, 10:40:46 AM »

My buddy who lives in Hope and was the DFO creel survey guy for years, has been watching anglers carrying dead Sockeyes back to their trucks for 2 weeks now, so asking these folks to stop bouncing is comical.

DFO allowed this fishery to blossom and trying to curtail it at certain times is stupid.

It's all or nothing really.

I will continue to selectively fish for Chinooks as I always have and fully expect most will bounce for Chinooks and some will kill anything, including Sox, Steelhead and interior Coho.

DFO is managed by fools, it's the only answer.
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

LP89CG

« Reply #88 on: August 18, 2012, 11:16:18 PM »

Just a general question,

What is the number off fish that survive from egg to spawn. Or I guess out of all the eggs that come from one fish, how many will come back.

So if 3 million sockeye spawn, how many will come back in 4 years... on average

dnibbles

« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2012, 10:47:03 AM »

dnibbies  The by-catch of Cultus sockeye in the commercial fishery would take far more fish than the sport fisherman. They are allowed an allocation of Cultus fish in exchange for pike minnow removal from Cultus lake. If DFO were to protect Cultus fish they would have to
shut down the commercial fishery which will never happen. Once again people are targeting the wrong user group. I do agree anglers should take the time to properly ID their catch. DFO managers were informed that marking sockeye with an adipose fin clip would lead to misidentification of these fish. People just assume that a adipose fin clipped fish is a coho.

For sure the commies (and FNs) take more than the sporties do, although in 2011 the numbers I've seen actually look like it may not be that much more.Management of Late run interceptions the last 3 years is also a sore spot for me, as the goalposts get moved whenever it looks like managing around Cultus interceptions will slow fisheries. I still think that a short, targeted closure of the Chilliwack for a 3 or 4 week period in and around the vicinity of the Sweltzer confluence is a reasonable management measure. It's not about targeting certain user groups, it's about taking the steps necessary to get the fish back on the grounds, with as little impact as possible on harvesters. IN this case, everyone can keep fishing for coho and whites to their heart's content, but hopefully the impacts on the cultus fish would be minimized.

The adipose clip is definitely a contributing factor in the inadvertent bookings by greenhorns.