Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aghast at the litter  (Read 5207 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Aghast at the litter
« on: November 19, 2010, 11:42:16 PM »

Last weekend, my buddy and I were out at a little spot that holds more cutthroat than coho, but it's a pretty little backwater and always worth a visit if you are in the area. At the top of the bank was a plastic grocery bag, neatly tied, full of empties. On the water's edge was an assortment of cans, worm containers and other litter. As we were leaving I pulled a bag from my vest and we proceeded to clean up this mess. Pulling cans from under the leaves we came across a large garbage bag full of cans and bottles. So here we are leaving with 2 bags full of litter, as well as a garbage bag....

The car is less than 5 minutes away. Why you can't carry it out is beyond me. I don't understand...

CameronT120

Re: Aghast at the litter
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 09:24:53 AM »

Look at any downtown street where there are garbage cans every 100 feet.  People are too lazy to do the right thing when it's so easy, it doesn't surprise me to see it in the outdoors.  God forbid you have carry your garbage back home with you.

If I see someone littering I do my best to shame the person, especially if other people are within earshot.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 10:55:49 AM »

I wish it was laziness.  Calling them lazy implies that they CARE, but they are too lazy to do anything about it.

I think they simply don't care, which is worse... because even if you make it dead simple, like putting a garbage can 10 feet away, they will just drop whatever they have on the ground and think nothing of it.

The solution is to teach them when they are young more effectively.  Beyond that, massive fines might help.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 09:50:44 PM »

They always say don't pee where you get your dinking water. :-\
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 12:24:52 PM »

I wish it was laziness.  Calling them lazy implies that they CARE, but they are too lazy to do anything about it.
I think they simply don't care, which is worse... because even if you make it dead simple, like putting a garbage can 10 feet away, they will just drop whatever they have on the ground and think nothing of it.

Agreed, it's about values.  Our parents have a large influence in the formation of our values. I always wonder how this value gets developed, or not as the case might be, over the years. I find it odd the apparent conflict of values. You value outdoor recreation yet you don't value stewardship and respect for those after you. I guess it could be worse, they could be dumping their used motor oil there too.

Unfortunately it's the same no matter where you fish.
True, however I was surprised and disappointed by the volume in a very small space the size of my living room, and very clearly left by other anglers as it's not spot for day use or campers.

mvelasco

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 02:52:41 PM »

I witnessed someone peeing in the river and they someone assist them while they were fishing.I could Not make this up.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 05:19:14 PM »

They always say don't pee where you get your dinking water. :-\

Wanna buy an R? ;D ;D ;D
http://

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 06:56:58 AM »

another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

wizard

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 12:07:40 PM »

Best thing to do when you see slobs littering is say "Excuse me, I think you dropped something".

Also, when people see other people picking up trash, it might make them less likely to litter....

one of the worst things I've seen is a couple changing their baby at the stave, and they toss the dirty diaper towards the bushes...just ignorant filthy "people" with no concept or idea what they're doing.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 02:02:54 PM »

Its not engrained into our culture to respect our environment.  Kids see their parents littering, so its easy to see why they would do it when they are adults.  Its not taught in schools and laws are rarely enforced.  I've been to Tokyo a few times and there is a big cultural difference in how they take care of their environment.  In a city that has a population almost as big as all of Canada, its very clean.  Its not because they have a lot of people picking up garbage, its because there is no garbage to pick up in the first place.  Kids are taught at an early age not to litter.  I remember one time when my young daughter accidently dropped some kleenex on the street, before I could turn around to pick it up, another young kid rushed in to pick it up and disposed of it right away.