Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: BC Sportsmen Show  (Read 15058 times)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: BC Sportsmen Show
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2024, 02:07:09 PM »

Precisely the reason why alot of the tackle shops don't attend these events.

IT makes far more sense for the companies supplying to the tackle shops Like (Gamakatsu) to attend then the tackle shops themselves.

I thought it was interesting to see the swellfish inflatables, a local langley company.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2024, 06:10:36 AM »

IT makes far more sense for the companies supplying to the tackle shops Like (Gamakatsu) to attend then the tackle shops themselves.

I thought it was interesting to see the swellfish inflatables, a local langley company.
Scotty was there. Interesting to see all the rod holders, mounts and attachments on display.

redside1

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2024, 09:04:50 AM »

Gamakatsu was there because they had a recent change in how they go to market in Canada. It used to be distributed by Normark/rapala and 5here was an offering of about 600 items in total. It switched to distribution from the USA so now there is about 2700 items available. So gamakatsu felt it was worth the cost to have a booth to make consumers aware of all the new items like the knives, bars, boxes, and various different hooks that have not been offered in the past. You may not see this happen again now.
Their cost to attend the event was over $5,000 by the time all the expenses are added up so the challenge is deciding if attending the show was worth it since they are not immediately recovering any of those costs and are hoping good things happen in the future.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2024, 09:37:38 AM »

If these businesses do not wish to participate in selling what they have to offer then I guess that's there loss . These companies are there to make an impression and to attract customers . Not sure of there intentions but maybe they are expecting to make a lot of money on sales ? . I guess its the new norm . Marketers sitting in a dark room behind a monitor throwing out new ads for the venders . Cheaper . 
Done ranting.

I figure it's a vicious cycle of consumers doing more shopping online since COVID, which makes the economics of renting a booth less appealing to companies. The show declines in quality because there are fewer companies in attendance, which means fewer people show up next year. Which makes it a worse value proposition for the companies to rent a booth the following year. And so on and so forth...

I buy all my fishing stuff in person from my local store (Sea-Run, in my case). It costs a little more than ordering online but I value being able to see things in person before buying, to get advice, and to get help with gear repair/warranties.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2024, 10:24:57 AM »

I guess venders could always go cheap and walk around the show wearing a sandwich board advertising there business .  ;D ;)
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2024, 03:17:33 PM »

For me it's less about shopping for deals but to talk to manufacturers about their new products and the cool tech they have. Also to get help with issues I might have. But this was not  the case this year.

salmonrook

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2024, 05:37:16 PM »

My boys enjoyed the trout pond too… back in the day!

It’s been quite a number of years since I’ve been to the show and I was surprised to see how that the pond was for C&R fishing, not C&K. 

Anyone know why the switch?

The trout pond is quite popular with kids and adults too.
Glad they enjoyed it
I had the pleasure of manning  it along with some members of the Nicomekl Enhancement Society
The fish were fairly large this year
People who caught the fish didn’t know what to do with it .
It seems obvious but not really when you plan to attend the show for a few hours
One Dad mentioned he kept his years before but after a few hours walking around he ended up disposing of it .
I believe they all go back to the land based farm and are sold commercially

salmonrook

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2024, 05:45:46 PM »

I enjoyed the various boat manufacturers
Dinghy to the Tin boats
They had some great drift boats for fly fishing
I think a show like this isn’t about making a profit
I think it’s about gettting your name and products in front of people
so they can see what is out there
It’s more for advertising than selling