Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: BC Sportsmen Show  (Read 15056 times)

armytruck

• Old Timer
BC Sportsmen Show
« on: March 04, 2024, 07:46:16 AM »

How was your experience at the show this year?.
For me, I could not find many choices of tackle vendors to compare prices, and to make a purchase . There were only one major tackle vendor there that took up one large corner of the floor . Not to many choices . Same with local fishing charters , I won't mention any names but , it would have been nice to talk with one of them in person to book a trip . Anyway , I was about to drop a few bucks but came up empty handed . Nice chatting with Tim Milne from Shearwater (Big Coast) sport fishing . I just may go up there and pay a visit .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

redside1

Re: BC Sportsmen Show
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 09:40:29 AM »

shows cost too much to have a booth at nowadays.  Think booth space, cost of staff labour and then having to offer product at low margins otherwise most think the store is a crook. Sort of not worth doing. The show in Chilliwack at the end of the month might have a better vendor selection than Abbotsford did though.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2024, 11:10:31 AM »

Meh, seems the B.C Sportsman show is going downhill. Fred’s was the only major fishing tackle store with a large display. Very few charter companies were on hand as well. I won’t be going next year.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2024, 12:28:10 PM »

I over head one of the people working a tackle booth joke that they spent more on lunch for their team then the profit they made from the 3 days.

chardeemacdenis

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2024, 01:34:45 PM »

I brought my kids in first thing Friday for the trout pond. Met up with Rod and got the Kokanee report and had a beer while I walked around. I do miss the bins of discount tackle that used to be prevalent but I didn't feel it was a waste of time. I didn't buy anything (despite a pocket full of cash) but I did get a chance to talk with the Hummingbird rep and got some great intel.
Fishing isn't catching

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2024, 01:59:04 PM »

It takes money to make money . Ask Rod  ;D

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2024, 07:20:36 AM »

How was your experience at the show this year?.
For me, I could not find many choices of tackle vendors to compare prices, and to make a purchase . There were only one major tackle vendor there that took up one large corner of the floor . Not to many choices . Same with local fishing charters , I won't mention any names but , it would have been nice to talk with one of them in person to book a trip . Anyway , I was about to drop a few bucks but came up empty handed . Nice chatting with Tim Milne from Shearwater (Big Coast) sport fishing . I just may go up there and pay a visit .
See how it goes at the Chilliwack show .

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2024, 06:49:39 PM »

See how it goes at the Chilliwack show .
Same. Hopefully better than the Sportsman show.

redside1

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2024, 07:47:15 AM »

here is a list of all the vendors with booths at the show

https://www.bcoutdoorsshow.com/exhibitors-list/

easier to see if you will be disappointed or not

bj23

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2024, 11:05:42 AM »

Meh, seems the B.C Sportsman show is going downhill. Fred’s was the only major fishing tackle store with a large display. Very few charter companies were on hand as well. I won’t be going next year.

Why have 2 shows? Not many vendors can afford to showcase twice.

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2024, 05:54:30 PM »

Took my oldest to the show on Saturday pm and was surprised to see that it was not busy.  There were fewer booths and missing the usual equip suspects. I tried to talk to a few of the reps but it seemed that they were all in that sort of "it's slow blasé mode" Disappointing but a day out with my teenager is a rare thing these days and we made the best of it.  Not sure a repeat will happen unless the line up is better next time.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2024, 06:05:27 PM »

I brought my kids in first thing Friday for the trout pond. Met up with Rod and got the Kokanee report and had a beer while I walked around. I do miss the bins of discount tackle that used to be prevalent but I didn't feel it was a waste of time. I didn't buy anything (despite a pocket full of cash) but I did get a chance to talk with the Hummingbird rep and got some great intel.

My boys enjoyed the trout pond too… back in the day!

It’s been quite a number of years since I’ve been to the show and I was surprised to see how that the pond was for C&R fishing, not C&K. 

Anyone know why the switch?

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2024, 12:44:11 PM »

If these businesses do not wish to participate in selling what they have to offer then I guess that's there loss . These companies are there to make an impression and to attract customers . Not sure of there intentions but maybe they are expecting to make a lot of money on sales ? . I guess its the new norm . Marketers sitting in a dark room behind a monitor throwing out new ads for the venders . Cheaper . 
Done ranting. 

redside1

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2024, 01:16:12 PM »

If these businesses do not wish to participate in selling what they have to offer then I guess that's there loss . These companies are there to make an impression and to attract customers . Not sure of there intentions but maybe they are expecting to make a lot of money on sales ? . I guess its the new norm . Marketers sitting in a dark room behind a monitor throwing out new ads for the venders . Cheaper . 
Done ranting.

so why would you want a booth at a show to lose money?  Think of the costs of going into a show and the sales you must make to break even or make a profit. takes a day to set up, a day to take down. Cost per 10' booth, then labour costs, meals for staff, depending where your business is located hotel rooms, etc. Consumers that attend complaining if you don't offer large discounts on items so margins are slim. I bet the cost for Fred's to attend the show with their display was well over $30,000.00.
 I am surprised companies still attend these shows due to the costs.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2024, 01:42:18 PM »

so why would you want a booth at a show to lose money?  Think of the costs of going into a show and the sales you must make to break even or make a profit. takes a day to set up, a day to take down. Cost per 10' booth, then labour costs, meals for staff, depending where your business is located hotel rooms, etc. Consumers that attend complaining if you don't offer large discounts on items so margins are slim. I bet the cost for Fred's to attend the show with their display was well over $30,000.00.
 I am surprised companies still attend these shows due to the costs.

Precisely the reason why alot of the tackle shops don't attend these events.