Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Campbell centerpin bearings  (Read 4728 times)

obie1fish

Campbell centerpin bearings
« on: February 12, 2024, 03:30:50 PM »

Hi All
I have a Campbell centerpin reel, and it's great. After using it for some time, I'm looking to change the ball bearings. Does anyone have any recommendations regarding size and/or type? There doesn't seem to be anything stamped on either bearing.
Cheers.

redside1

Re: Campbell centerpin bearings
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2024, 08:36:57 AM »

Hi All
I have a Campbell centerpin reel, and it's great. After using it for some time, I'm looking to change the ball bearings. Does anyone have any recommendations regarding size and/or type? There doesn't seem to be anything stamped on either bearing.
Cheers.

Size would have to be what's already in the reel. Only the same size will fit.
To upgrade type you should find out what type is in there already. Like are the ABEC3 or ABEC5 or ABEC7? Find out both of those and you will know what to start looking for.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2024, 08:06:01 PM »

You could punch them out and take the bearings into Mikes.

In the past I have soaked bearings for centrepins in zippo lighter fluid to remove and gunk or oil. I actually prefer to run them dry. Just a suggestion your bearings may be fine just gummed up.

obie1fish

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2024, 09:30:54 PM »

Thanks everyone! I was wondering if anyone had replaced their Campbell bearings or knew their specs; otherwise I'll be sure to bring them in to Mike's.

Roderick

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2024, 04:08:07 PM »

Bearings have 3 measurements: inside diameter, outside diameter, and width. These measurements can be in metric or imperial but are always IDxODxW.  For example a bearing could be 4x7x2.5, all in millimeters, or for a different one, 1/4x3/8x1/8 in inches.  When you get the bearing out it's pretty easy to measure it with a ruler.  The measurements are exact so if it looks a little off in mm it's probably in inches.   

I've had good luck finding what I need on Amazon.  Just search for the specific measurements.  For a fishing reel you definitely need either stainless steel or ceramic.  If you are having a problem with rust, my experience is that the SS and even the hybrid ceramic don't hold up very well. 
You shoulda been here yesterday.

obie1fish

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2024, 09:43:45 AM »

Thanks- no rust, just a tic every revolution, and only when the float's gliding downstream. I checked everywhere for burs, etc., but saw none.  I was thinking that one of the balls was out of sorts. I'll head to Mike's and treat myself to an upgrade, although the lighter fluid option sounds like a good idea.