Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where Are You Gonna Fish Now?  (Read 2436 times)

nosey

Where Are You Gonna Fish Now?
« on: December 12, 2006, 09:42:00 AM »

With the clay bank situation on the Vedder looking bad this year how many of you have given thought to alternate places to go steelheading and what's your choice for quality local steelheading? I personly will probably be spending a lot of time in the Fraser mainstream between CHWK and Hope on the three or four days a month it's not too windy. :)

nosey

Re: Where Are You Gonna Fish Now?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 10:32:48 AM »

No problem there, I'm a long time fisherman in the Fraser

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 05:09:33 PM »

Nooksack ;)

BCSteelheader

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 05:49:46 PM »

i'm settin up camp at the prison...lol :o :o    and maybe a tree stand... 8)
"Catch & Release" by SG

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 07:56:16 PM »

I plan to fish the allouette since I can walk to some of the best spots on the river. All the other spots are just a quick drive away  ;D ;D ;D . I grew up fishing that river and I am beginning to love it again.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 12:40:15 AM »

Well I was actually looking forward to this year of fishing the Vedder, But seems like its one problem after another.  :'( Finishing up school and getting a Drivers license I though Id be fishing alot more and having a great season, this was not the case. In previous seasons ( last 2 years) I was able to get into good numbers of fish without really knowing too much of what I was doing. This year with the water so low the fish seemed to stack up in certain spots along the river, and with less water meant less spots for fish to spread out and so more fishermen were packing into all the good spots ( this is what I noticed). This crowding pushed me into finding new water and even though I could never find water to myself I did have a couple days of 20 plus fish, and days of zero. Horrible year I thought, since I know there are fish in there, but just weren't biting under the low/clear water conditions. I was disappointed to hear everyone complain about the low returns of coho, but I was lucky enough to get into and land 3 at the beginning of september. I was pretty depressed on how this season went that I started to focus my attention to the steelhead season and convince myself it would make up for the poor salmon season. But like we all know that little water we prayed for that would hopefully bring brighter days of salmon fishing turned out to be 4 meters too much rain ::), and ultimately ended the season. After a couple weeks of itching for the water levels to drop and clear up, I was left disappointed again and with Fwr reports of this continuous silt lasting for most or all of the season. I couldn't ask for any better fishing on my local river for this year  :-\. Well I decided to write how I feel about this years fishing on the Vedder, although the start of this years turned out pretty good.  ;D

Is there anyone else who has seen this problem before that the vedder is going though, how does it rebound back to shape? Does Fish behavior change in this kind of water?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 12:42:04 AM by BigFisher »
The Bigger The Better!

druid

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 12:16:02 PM »

With the clay bank situation on the Vedder looking bad this year...

I haven't been following the Steel Stories on the Vedder, but was thinking of getting my stamp for the winter. Could someone explain what this "clay bank situation" is? Should I not bother with my steel stamp this year?

druid
"Apathy meeting this Friday. If you want to come, you're not invited"