Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: alternate species on the fly  (Read 2031 times)

flyslinger

alternate species on the fly
« on: March 01, 2011, 10:56:11 PM »

While most anglers are out crowding the same popular river for steelhead,I like to get away from the crowds,grab my lighter rod and target some whitefish and cutties.Now is a great time of year and it will only get better over the next month and a half.I was out sunday afternoon for about 2 hours and managed to get into 6 fish.Now I admit they are no where near as exciting as a steelhead,but on light gear such as a 5 or 3 weight,they are plenty enjoyable.The added bonus was I had the area to myself the whole time.These fish still offer a challenge as they are picky as to what you offer them and how it is offered.There are a number of other species in our Fraser Valley that are fun to try and figure out and they can pretty much all be enticed to hit the right fly presented in the right way.Tight lines! :)

skaha

• Old Timer
Re: alternate species on the fly
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 08:07:21 AM »

--whitefish on the Thompson... same deal on the fly... use single egg patters which gear guys could also use with float or bottom bounce rig.
--They will take most small trout flies dry or wet... and bonus resident trout in same area may grab same thing.
--I find on famous rivers like the Thompson people often overlook the size and power of resident trout and whitefish.
--Oh yah.. no crowds.
--If you want to keep a few... whitefish fillet, fry, bake or smoke is tasty