Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New to fly-fishing  (Read 2027 times)

Every Day

• Old Timer
New to fly-fishing
« on: April 29, 2008, 07:44:53 PM »

Ok I'm new to fly fishing first of all.... I tried it for the last week of salmon season and loved it but I want to try and step it up a notch. I would like to fly-fish for Steelies this upcoming month but I have no idea what flies would work good on the Vedder.... could anyone PM me some pattersn that worked for them or suggest stuff to buy.... 

One other question my heviest fly-rod is a 6 wt... would fishing a Steelhead on that be pushing it? I landed a 12 pnd spring last year up by Tamahi on it but I think a Steely might give me a run for my money.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
Re: New to fly-fishing
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 10:29:53 PM »

You would be able to land a steelie on that rod but here's the rub....you'd probably end up over playing the fish just to land it which is extremely hard on any fish you plan on releasing.   Mortality rates increase dramatically with every extra minute you play fish on gear that is too light so I wouldn't recommend it.  Throw in an extra hero shot or two and its chance of survival decreases even more.   

I'd suggest an 8 or 9 wt. and a strong enough leader/tippet so you don't have to baby it in.