Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: STUMPED!!  (Read 2953 times)

d-lo

STUMPED!!
« on: February 26, 2006, 02:05:35 PM »

Hi folks, new member here and also relatively new steelheader. I have been out on the Vedder several times this year so far with no fish to show for my efforts. Each time out however the weather has been incredible and the water conditions ideal so I am not complaining. I have seen a few fish landed by friends I have been with or others on the river and quite simply I am awe struck by steelhead. They are an amazing creature to say the least. I imagine all of the cliches about catching them are true 'you have to put in your time' and 'they are very elusive' are a couple that come to mind. If there is one pointer you could give me without giving up any secrets what would it be?

Gooey

• Old Timer
Re: STUMPED!!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 02:53:24 PM »

I find that having confidence is huge, not second guessing yourself on where to fish or what to use.

That said I can recommned 2 things that I think would be great to utilize for a novice steelheader:  pink worms and roe sacks.

Pink worm slay 'em in all sorts of water condiditons and they really are very easy to fish. 

Chunked roe is great but it can be a pain maintaining a good piece of roe on your hook especially if your getting the hang of casting and aren't smooth.  Pick up some store made roe bags...they are very very user friendly and can provide alot of good drifts -  and I thin thats a key to steelheading, making the most out of ever drift.  Plus you don't have to worry about whether your bait is good or not...store bought stuff should all have a good/consistant quality.

Good luck.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 03:03:16 PM »

An important thing to keep in mind is that fish will hang out in certain locations during certain water conditions. Every time you see a fish hooked make a note of what type of water the fish was sitting in and what the water conditions were like. Chances are that if you come back during similar water conditions there will be fish holding there.
Actions speak louder than words.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 03:56:18 PM »

My one tip is to cover water. Make 6 casts and take a couple of steps and repeat. Don't grow roots.

tnt

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 06:10:37 PM »

My tip is , do not fsh the far side of the river before you have fished the water closest to you, also stay out of the water if you can, you do not have to hit bottom with your weight every foot of your drift, find bottom then shorten up your float by 6-12 inches, let your line spool off smoothly. steelhead will move to hit a bait.you dont need a leader longer than 18 inches.
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....

darmin

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 07:06:39 PM »

learn to read the water this is  very important to stealheading and presentation of bait

squishy fishy

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 09:34:41 AM »

My tip is to NOT go fishing with me  :D.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 10:44:35 AM »

I always tell my students to approach all fishing situations, steelhead included, by analizing the factors. So here is my two cents.

What is the target?

Steelhead!

What do we know about this fish?

Sea Run Raindow?

Since we are targeting this fish in a stream?

What else do we know?

The fish is out of it's natural envionment?

Why?

To spawn.

Given the facts that the fish is out of it's natural envionment and here to spawn, will feeding be a priority?

No, but since steelhead return to the sea they due have to feed.

What does that tell us?

Steelhead are not likely to be agreesive feeders.

What else do we say about this fish that is out of it's home waters?

The water temperature of the stream is likely to be colder that the fish is genetically accoustomed too.

Which means?

A slower metabilizm.

Which means?

A less aggressive fish.

And it also means?

Slower digestion?

Which means?

The fish does not need to feed as often as one would expect.

Now we have analized our prey's feeding habits and we can adjust or strategy to meet the challenges.

In a day and age when everyone is an expert, recognized or otherwise, it always pays to do your homework first, and KISS
KEEP IT SYMPLE SO! so it is understandable and easily applied. 
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

mr.pink

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 03:49:26 PM »

my 1 tip would be,fish as much as you can,cheers and good luck.

ratfish

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 04:49:11 PM »

My tip is to be sneaky. Find a spot no one is fishing and sneak up to the river bank. Try and take soft steps and make sure your shadow doesn't go on the water. Steelhead are very spooky. Fish close to shore first and only enter the water if you have to. As soon as you enter the water they will hear you and maybe even smell you. Follow these steps and you will see steelhead with your own eyes in the water and maybe even catch one.