Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: AN OLYMPIANS POINT OF VIEW  (Read 5278 times)

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
AN OLYMPIANS POINT OF VIEW
« on: February 25, 2006, 07:37:49 AM »

I had the priviledge yesterday of attending a gathering in Chilliwack to honor two athletes who have done our country proud. Kelly Vanderbeek has just returned from Italy achieving a 4th place finish in the Super G Skiing Event (missed a medal by .03 seconds). The other Olympian was David Ford who achieved a fourth place finish at the Summer Olympics in Athens in 2004 in the Men's Slalom Event (also missed a medal by .03 seconds). To say the least it was a very emotional meeting and the students in attendance overwhelmed the two Olympians with a multitude of questions.

Why would I mention this on a board devoted mainly to fishing interests? I thought you would never ask.

David Ford who trains all year on the Chilliwack referred to the pristine condition of OUR river and the ideal conditions the river provides for his training. David's remark emphasized to me the tremendous asset we have and use on a daily basis while pursing the wily steelhead and why the Chilliwack/Vedder River Cleanup Coaltion works so hard to maintain the Chilliwack River system in the condition referred to by David.

Thanks to those of you who support the CVRCC. Please continue to carry out your refuse including your discarded fishing line, coffee cups, empty cigarette packs, etc. Not only Olympians benefit from our care of the environment. We all do.

Have a great day on our river. :)
"One man of courage makes a majority"