Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Buying new rod.  (Read 1559 times)

oddjob

• woof woof
Buying new rod.
« on: February 23, 2006, 09:55:39 PM »

How is the trophy xL , for durabilty and quality . Has anyone had any problems with this rod ? ??? ??? ???

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
Re: Buying new rod.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 10:36:05 PM »

I have a trophy for me fraser level wind rod, its great. Another good rod for a little extra money is redinton, there great. Are you looking for a coho/steelhead rod? or big springs.

timbo

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 09:02:18 AM »

I have a trophy XL, and I really like it. Nice and light and pretty sensitive. For the $$, I think its a great buy.

Cheers,

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 01:11:32 PM »

I own 3 Trophy rods.  The Trophy rods have great action especially my 11'6" medium action rod.The main problem I've had with my Trophy rods is the epoxy cracks by the guides quite easily.  Mind you I generally run 50lb Tuff Line XP for mainline.   The first time out with my 12' bar rod I tried to pull out of a snag and the epoxy cracked immediately but the rod still works fine and the guides are still solidly in place.  The rods come with a one year warranty.  I had my 11'6" rod replaced within warranty because two of my ceramic guides had popped out and every guide had cracks in the epoxy.   The rubber butt section on my replacement fell off while fishing and I noticed there is some play in the cork handle as it seems to be coming loose.  Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 01:19:35 PM by Eagleye »

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 05:32:45 PM »

Thanks everybody for all the input . Now to convince the wife I need a new rod.