Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: NFR Tonight's Sunset  (Read 4417 times)

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
NFR Tonight's Sunset
« on: February 15, 2006, 07:02:59 PM »

Took some pictures of tonight's sunset, looking back from Burnaby Mountain.

Click on the picture for the series.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Re: NFR Tonight's Sunset
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 08:28:42 PM »

Hi DS:

Which camera did you use to take those photos?

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 09:01:17 PM »

Taken: 2006:02:15 17:38:59
Manufacturer: Canon
Camera: Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL
Aperture: F9
Shutter: 1/200 sec
ISO: 400
Flash: No

Over on the fotothing site, you can click on Technical details to see various info regarding the pictures.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 09:06:41 PM »

Thank you.
How does photo look when taken indoor? (portrait)
Any colour hue or washout?

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 10:08:13 PM »

Thank you.
How does photo look when taken indoor? (portrait)
Any colour hue or washout?

The colours on the Canon Digital Rebel tend to be a bit muted to start with, and the images certainly benefit from an unsharp mask applied after the fact.  Usually I touch up the saturation a bit if the lighting isn't normal white, otherwise in PS CS2 Auto Levels does a good job 99% of the time.

Every digital image can benefit from some digital darkroom work.  The trick is to apply enough, with out applying too much.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 11:20:57 PM »

Have you seen photos taken by Nikon D200 before?

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 11:48:43 PM »

Awesome pics DS ,almost looks like we got nuked,lol ;D ;D
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 11:59:02 PM »

sweet pics
weeeeeeeeeow!

Reservoir Dog

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2006, 02:20:03 AM »

WOW that was incredible DS.

Thank you very much for sharing.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2006, 02:58:13 AM »

Have you seen photos taken by Nikon D200 before?

http://www.fotothing.com/camerachart.php

For examples of various pictures taken by different cameras.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2006, 02:59:09 AM »

Thanks for the comments guys.  It's definitely easier when God gives you the starting materials all laid out  ;)

huntwriter

• Othmar Vohringer Outdoors
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2006, 12:16:57 PM »

Hey DragonSpeed - I see you share the same interest I do in some regard. Fishing, blogging and photography. I use an Olympus Camedia C5000 digital for everyday photography, but for the high quality photography I still stick with my various Canon 35mm film cameras.

Recently I have been looking into buying a 35mm digital Canon. However, on the advice of my wife, a professional photographer and art designer, I think I will wait a while with getting me a 35mm digital camera until the picture quality improves and I do not need to touch them up in the Adobe or CorelPhoto.

I visited your blog and see you where in China too. I worked and lived in Guangdong (Canton) for five years. Fell in love with that country, the people are some of the nicest I ever met on my international travels and the food is good also very rich on culture. We still go back every year once or twice to visit the many friends we made in China.
Othmar Vohringer - Smart Hunting Strategies (SHS)
http://www.othmarvohringer.com/

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2006, 01:58:24 PM »

The big thing that got me back to SLR's was the response time is LIGHT YEARS ahead of what you get from a compact digital.  Sure, I'd love to have much higher quality pictures (more light, higher contrast, more pixels) but the important driving part was being able to use my Canon lenses from before - really lowering the entry barrier.

As for touching up.  You ALWAYS will touch up.  Just like in a darkroom no picture goes untouched, and in a commercial photo developer modifications are made on the fly to generate the "best" photo.  It's something that any semi serious photog should get used to.  It brings the darkroom to your computer, and the ability to UNDO modifications without starting a whole developing process again.  It is NOT something to be afraid of.  :)

China - Incredible country with fascinating people, history and culture.  A bit too much polution for my likes.  Perhaps in the North.   My brother-in-law lives in Guangzhou.  We visited him for a day. On a "sunny" day, we didn't see much blue sky :(

huntwriter

• Othmar Vohringer Outdoors
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2006, 04:02:39 PM »

The big thing that got me back to SLR's was the response time is LIGHT YEARS ahead of what you get from a compact digital.  Sure, I'd love to have much higher quality pictures (more light, higher contrast, more pixels) but the important driving part was being able to use my Canon lenses from before - really lowering the entry barrier.

As for touching up.  You ALWAYS will touch up.  Just like in a darkroom no picture goes untouched, and in a commercial photo developer modifications are made on the fly to generate the "best" photo.  It's something that any semi serious photog should get used to.  It brings the darkroom to your computer, and the ability to UNDO modifications without starting a whole developing process again.  It is NOT something to be afraid of.  :)

China - Incredible country with fascinating people, history and culture.  A bit too much polution for my likes.  Perhaps in the North.   My brother-in-law lives in Guangzhou.  We visited him for a day. On a "sunny" day, we didn't see much blue sky :(

I lived in Panyu which is just outside of Guangzhou. You are right the pollution is a concern in China, but it keeps getting better every year.

With the touching up of photos I meant the drastic touch ups that some digital pictures need not the normal colour balance and such things. The reason why I looked into buying a 35mm digital is for the same reason you like them, because I still can use all my lenses including the big bazookas.
Othmar Vohringer - Smart Hunting Strategies (SHS)
http://www.othmarvohringer.com/