Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Narrowed down to the following choices... what woudl you get..keep in mind value is approx10 grand that i will spend

Nissan Pathfinder
- 1 (2.9%)
Toyota 4-Runner
- 16 (47.1%)
Jeep Cherokee
- 5 (14.7%)
Ford Ranger
- 5 (14.7%)
none of the above
- 7 (20.6%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Voting closed: February 07, 2006, 11:32:30 PM

Author Topic: Shopping for a new Vehicle....  (Read 8856 times)

rickjames_2

Re: Shopping for a new Vehicle....
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2006, 11:22:12 PM »

4-runners are the bomb...i mean they are absolutly amazing and the stand up to anything ;D ;D
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

glycine

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2006, 11:23:01 PM »

i would vote for ranger.
ford is not as good as toyota, but ford truks are much more reliable than cars.
ford is also much more affordable than toyota.
you can find their parts anywhere in reliable price..

4x4

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2006, 04:42:57 PM »

Another Ranger fan here. Had one for 16 yrs. Super tough and reliable. Great truck. So far my 2002 F150 has had 0 problems.

Toyota's are also ok but really weak front ends, keep that in mind if you offroad a lot.

Many of your choices would be depended on the year of vehicle you want to buy. They all have their bugs. Drive each of your choices and then decide. You never know one might stand out over the others.

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2006, 05:01:15 PM »

My advice, don't go with a ford, everyone and their dog seems to own one so there's no such thing as pride of ownership if you have one, and you say you are looking for a change and you already own a ford. I'd for sure recommend the Toyota! I have a pickup and it's been solid for me, and if do need to do maintenance it's really not that hard to do. The upside though with Fords is there's lots of spare parts, I mean look at all the Ford dealerships out there displaying them  ;D

Reservoir Dog

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2006, 09:07:11 PM »

My advice, don't go with a ford, everyone and their dog seems to own one so there's no such thing as pride of ownership if you have one, and you say you are looking for a change and you already own a ford.

Not to offend anyone. I'm with freak on this one. this is MPO of ford.

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2006, 09:12:07 PM »

My advice, don't go with a ford, everyone and their dog seems to own one so there's no such thing as pride of ownership if you have one, and you say you are looking for a change and you already own a ford.

Not to offend anyone. I'm with freak on this one. this is MPO of ford.

get a tank ? at least a Humm-Vee would do :P
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2006, 09:19:22 PM »

Ya H1.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2006, 10:11:27 PM »

i said 10 grand guys
see ya on the river

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2006, 11:07:02 PM »

dude... talk about haveing to much time on your hands.. hehehe...

no thanks..
see ya on the river

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2006, 11:58:10 PM »

Depends on number of family members and your use. You might want to look at Expedition too. A 1998 with 100,000 km you would be looking at 10K. Great SUV for fishing with a few buddies. Good clearance, reliable.

Reservoir Dog

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2006, 01:07:28 AM »

dude... talk about haveing to much time on your hands.. hehehe...

no thanks..

from http://www.buysell.com/root/browsesub/BC/544/11/3/Import_Trucks_amp_Vans.aspx

1993 TOYOTA PICKUP extra-cab, 4x4, 3L, V6, blk w canopy, new tires, timing belt, AirCared to 2007, 268,000 km, reg maint done,
 grt truck, must sell, $8500 obo Tel: 604‑469‑4870

1993 TOYOTA PICKUP 4X4, 2dr, Extended Cab, Black, Manual, 4x4, 3.0L, Cylinder 6, Gas, Great condition, alloy wheels, extra cab 4x4, New brakes, timming belt and water pump  $12,995.00 Free 1 year mechanical warranty in Canada & U.S., Top $ for Trades, Financing welcome, Accredited by MDSA of BC, DL#11166, City Gate Motors 2290 Main St., ( Main at 7th Ave ) Vancouver, B.C. ICBC & CARFAX reports are given with every purchase Tel: 604-879-5858
----> Img http://ppgmedia.buysell.com/ppgphotos/bs200415122325/bs200415122325_2005111016385545.jpg <---- img

1992 TOYOTA X cab, 4x4 truck, new paint, rhino lined box, stereo, 31" tires, V6, runs mint, exc cond in & out, $9500 obo.
Tel: 250-724-2435

1992 TOYOTA 4x4, ext. cab, V6, 5 spd, no rust, new tires, lots of new parts, $10,000. Tel: 250-718-9890

1991 TOYOTA SR-5 Ext'd Cab, loaded, pw, pdl, sunrf, CD, 2" body kit, 3" susp lift, Detroit lockers, warn hubsmatch canopy, no rust, boxliner, $10400. Tel: 604-854-3903

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2006, 11:26:50 AM »

I have owned , 4 runners, pathfinders, rangers, explorers and right now I have a 2002 F150 xlt,xtr pickup......  out of all of them I like the F150 the best..in the lst two years I haven't had anything go wrong with this truck..it is the most reliable thing I have ever owned..it has an awesome interior, rides great never gets stuck off road anywhere!! it is great for long trips ... has tonnes of room and with the 4.6 liter engine it isn't bad on gas....  Toyotas are good trucks but they has small interiors and they are prone to rusting.... reallly bad!!!  and they are way overpriced.... honestly after owning this truck I don't think I would trade it for anything except maybe an F350 diesel   ;D ;D ;D
thats my opinion anyways

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

4x4

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2006, 03:40:57 PM »

I with you on the F150 Thickrick.
 I have a 2002 Supercab 4x4 and it has been a very good vehicle. Goes anywhere, good built quality,reliable, the Modular motors last a very longtime if you change the oil as required. Great sound system....
Time will tell if it can be a good as my Ranger though.
There's a reason why the F150 is the most sold vehicle worldwide.

Stone

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2006, 11:50:33 PM »

Toyota hands down, without any hesitation.

I've owned an early '90s Pathfinder...unfortunately it was one with an automatic transmission.  I blew the tranny twice, once while wheeling.  I also pretty much killed the stock shocks doing moderate trails.  Problem with a broken exhaust manifold stud that was a PITA to replace.  Fuel economy...what fuel economy?  That little V6 consumed as much fuel as a Triton 5.4L V8, and it was gutless.  Would never recommend this vehicle to anyone...that's why they're so cheap used even though its an import.

I've also owned a '97 Ranger.  Surprisingly, as much as I dislike domestics, this one was okay.  Had to replace the alternator once, and I know the clutch slave if it fails is a real PITA to replace...but the truck ran well and had decent fuel mileage.  The F150 would be a decent deal only because there are so many of them out there and parts are cheap and easy to come by.  If you don't get stuck in them, you ain't trying hard enough.  ;)  Full size trucks with open diffs are not my first option for an off road vehicle, unless off road only means gravel travel and mud holes.

I've owned a '94 Sidekick/Sunrunner, and this vehicle is simply too small.  The little 1.6L works too hard to have really good fuel economy, but it's not too bad.  I had the little two door and the small fuel tank that needed frequent fill-ups ticked me off more than anything else.  Otherwise, a really well-built (overbuilt) little vehicle that is like a quad on the trails.  Decent set of tires can get you a long ways with this little truck.  I put 160+k kms on mine in 4 years, and it never gave me any mechanical trouble.

Thankfully I've never owned any Jeeps... ;D ;D

Toyota 4runners can easily go 500k kms without a rebuild.  My dad's neighbour has a 1990 model with well over 500,000 kms on it, and it has never had a rebuild.  He's also a gravel truck driver, and about 30% of his kilometers were done in forest service gravel roads.  He has had to do the usual front end and brake work with that many kilometers and off-road use (wear and tear)...but other than that, no problems with the drivetrain.  The body has the usual rust issues with early Toyotas...just adds character, that's all.  When his truck had over 400,000 kms on it, he didn't even hesitate to drive it from BC to Florida and back and all the trouble he had on the trip were a couple of flat tires.  The fuel mileage is never all that great with the little V6s...so that might be a consideration with rising fuel costs.

I drive a Land Cruiser turbo diesel that came from the factory with cable lockers and  a PTO winch.  For me, it has the perfect combination of wheelbase, engine torque, fuel economy, and off road capability...but it ain't nowhere close to $10k.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 11:54:12 PM by Stone »