Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Would you buy this bridge from min. Falcon  (Read 3622 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Would you buy this bridge from min. Falcon
« on: February 01, 2006, 09:24:57 AM »

No toll highway to the ski resort known as Whistler because of liberal policy (heard Falcon say this on Bill Good this morning). Yet why toll the users of the Port Mann and Golden Ears. Don't pay enough taxes yet for basically what is a truck route to the ports and not a upgrade that will reduce cars on the road. Falcon says "paying 5 bucks will reduce traffic". So the same applies to our parks, pay and you reduce users who can't afford the fees, playground # 2 for the well off when there not at WHISTLER. Where is the train to Vancouver to Chilliwack or Hope along highway 1 to reduce traffic? Na, lets build more truck routes that will fill up with traffic. your thoughts.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
Re: Would you buy this bridge from min. Falcon
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 10:59:45 AM »

Yes I'm against the expansion as well, I don't think there should be any support for suburban sprawl of any kind...

Increase density, and allow people to work where they live... None of us want to pay for gas anymore.

The report says that most people are commuting to industrial parks from the city for work... Why are these two story sprawling tech parks allowed to exist? This is just as bad as the sprawling suburbs, covering up our useable farm land, and forcing people to drive even further.

There needs to be a high speed rail system set up in the median of the highway all the way to Chilliwack, to get people into mass transit and out of cars. Mass transit should be the only thing in development, and as for the roads, maintain them but no expansion.

my two cents.
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Reservoir Dog

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 12:29:52 PM »

a toll on the #1 now that is downright stupid. they really want to turn Vancouver into a ghost town, that is the fastest way to do it. The Coke HIghway was paid off years ago, and the toll is still there. Like they'll ever remove the toll off the #1 I highly doubt it. If it does come about, secondary routes will fill the mass of people who'll boycot the toll. I already will take the maryhill bypass rather than the #1 when comming home from the Wack, just to avoid the lineup at the Port Mann.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 12:51:02 PM »

Well I guess it's in tax and government support.  How much tax does a farm generate? And how many jobs and family can farming support? How much farm aids are granted per year? If that 20 acres of cranberry farm ( property tax about 2000) are changed to M2 zoning you're looking at least 100X of that amount.

And potential number of employment? Well definitely more than 10 people. And when all these conversion took place. Which farming area will get hit first? Along highway corridors. Meaning, 99, Hwy1, 10, 15, 13, 1A, 99A.

So in economics standing point of view. The more people the more industrialized, the less farming is better.

But DO I want to live in a Huge Metropolitan? If I did I've moved to Toronto long ago.  :P
However, Urban sprawl is inevitable. Unless making a living is not important. But I would like to see better public transit system. One that really makes sense.
Take parking fees for instance. Government raised parking fee and increase pay parking time period and locations, these measures did not reduce traffic just INCREASED city revenue.

RAV, skytrain, when transit was asked why no ticketing gates were setup, either manual ticket check or automatic. Their answer was too expansive. To have riders' ticket checked on the RAV will cost a good million or 2 in expanse but when government try to sell us the idea that RAV is a good project didn't forcast 100,000 in ridership per day? that will generate more than enough revenue to cover for the ticket check expanse.  Unless the forecast is bogus.

Anyway I'm getting off topic. Port Mann does require expansion. But it should not be tolled.  Ministry may give you grand reasons as tolling will reduce traffic. That is simply not true. Find a tolled Hwy that actually reduced traffic? Look at metropolitan NY tolled bridge reduces traffic I said not.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 01:09:22 PM »

Its typical that everyone would complain. Did you listen to everything they said? Their will be no toll on the old bridge only the new bridge. So you have a choice, take the old bridge and sit in traffic or pay the toll and save time. In Europe they have tolls for highways and it is 8pounds. Which is $16 Canadian. The toll they are saying is $2.50 so I think its worth it. The only way they cannot put a toll charge on a new system is if it is the only way to get where you are going.
I live in Maple Ridge and the new bridge between Maple Ridge and Langley is going to be a toll and I didn't here so much complaining about that. Its the way things go. New highways and bridges cannot pay for themselves. Do you just want to pay higher taxes? Or you can just not drive on it and not pay anything. Its not like you are forced to pay. You have alternatives.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Nostro

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 01:19:18 PM »

I'm with you on this one Nicole. Make a 10 or 15 or 20 year plan and build a Sky train like system down the median. Look at what the Province could afford and build accordingly, in stages. Urban sprawl to the east is not going to stop regardless of government action. With bridges and roads, in a very short time these are filled in and in 10-15 years we're no further ahead.
On a lighter note, I was very amused to hear Surrey's mayor comment on how she wouldn't mind paying $2.50 if she didn't have to sit in traffic. Yeah, once in a while, $2.50 is not bad, but if you have to pay it twice a day, 5 days a week, it takes on a different meaning.
Never look a fish in the eye.

fishfinder

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 02:27:11 PM »

and allow people to work where they live... None of us want to pay for gas anymore.

Does that mean people should fish where they live as well??   ;D

If the $5 toll mean there will be fewer fishers at the Vedder then I’m all for it!!  ;D

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 04:04:10 PM »

I'm with you on this one Nicole. Make a 10 or 15 or 20 year plan and build a Sky train like system down the median. Look at what the Province could afford and build accordingly, in stages. Urban sprawl to the east is not going to stop regardless of government action. With bridges and roads, in a very short time these are filled in and in 10-15 years we're no further ahead.
On a lighter note, I was very amused to hear Surrey's mayor comment on how she wouldn't mind paying $2.50 if she didn't have to sit in traffic. Yeah, once in a while, $2.50 is not bad, but if you have to pay it twice a day, 5 days a week, it takes on a different meaning.

You said "have to" well you dont "have to" you can either take the old bridge free of charge or ride the Sky Train...

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

rickjames_2

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2006, 04:26:27 PM »

i live in chilliwack and the whole area is busy enough!!! :-\ the roads are conjested the bars of the fraser are impossible during sumertime cause of crowds and the vedder is just insane during the fall....my solution.....people should move up to the north and fish the skeena instead....leave us chilliwackians alone!!! we have had enough!!! lol oh well, thats not going to happen anytime soon so i will just deal with the growing urban sprawl by ignoring it....which seems to be one of the major problems in the first place......
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

fishfinder

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2006, 05:01:39 PM »

I believe they said the cars will be electronically scanned. San Fran has the scanners. Last time I was there I paid cash at the booth but I noticed cars went thru scanners as well. It's actually a very efficient system. Every car heading into San Fran had to pay a toll of $3 (Golden Gate was $4), but didn't pay on the way out. They have 8 or 9 big bridges there and I think they've all been paid off and are debt free. The longest one was 7 miles long, double tiered, each with 5 lanes going one way. Amazing piece of engineering and exceptional foresight by the city planners. We'll see what the planners do with the Port Mann.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2006, 05:35:36 PM »

I think your grandchildren, should you have any will say "you mean there was nature and farms around before all the condos". "What was the Fraser valley like Grampa Eddie before the congestion and polution". "Don't remember they put the lead back in the gasoline again in 2008".

Try to think of a sustainable enviroment or face the consequences. They had a plan to keep growth out of the food basket area's that are farmlands. When thats gone you can't feed your population. Keep the trafic down and preserve the farmlands. Most cities in Europe where farmland is precious  are highrise type dwellings not one story ranchers spread out along the turnpike among strip malls and gas stations.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

shrek

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2006, 08:03:32 PM »

I think the toll is a good idea.  As it will increase the density withing the city.  Hence making out mass transit more sustainable.   I also believe thier are more tolls coming.  The perimiter routes will also have a surcharge.  These roads will be used mainly for comercial traffic.  I live in Burnaby and have had to cross a bridge or go to Maple ridge during rush hour.  I could not handle doing that drive 10 times a day.  Figure out the wait times you spend and the fuel you spend.  5 bucks a day is not bad.