Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Where would you go for Chinooks in august ?

Bamfield
- 9 (37.5%)
Port Renfrew
- 3 (12.5%)
Port Alberni
- 7 (29.2%)
Ucluelet
- 4 (16.7%)
Sooke
- 1 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Where would you go for Chinooks in august ?  (Read 4945 times)

legend

• There's no nookie like Chinookie
Where would you go for Chinooks in august ?
« on: January 30, 2006, 11:26:12 AM »

I have only fished Renfrew and was wondering about the other spots as i am organizing my summer holidays around the last two weeks of August.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
Re: Where would you go for Chinooks in august ?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 11:47:39 AM »

Fraser & Thompson Rivers.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

johnny

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 12:07:09 PM »

I'd contact ironnoggin if it were me...

:)
Never let the truth get in the way of a perfectly good story...

Reservoir Dog

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 02:40:07 PM »

I have always liked Port Alberni for late summer fishing.

fishfinder

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 03:27:20 PM »

I'd second Port Alberni. The chinook numbers are on the rise again after some lean years.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 05:11:54 PM »

Another vote for Port Alberni

legend

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 05:19:55 PM »

The only down side to bamfeild is the road in . I know lots of people that have been there and they say the fishing is great. The last two years i fished Renfrew with great success limiting out every trip. Port Alberni is high on my list as i have many places to stay as friends of mine live there but there non fishing types. I here Alberni is very crowded and the fishing the last couple of years was not that great thats coming from a few buddies who spent a week there the last two seasons . They were based out of Macktush last year in one week between 4 anglers one salmon total. Thats slow i can do better in Vancouver waters maybe they hit it during an opening or there techniques were bad. I want to be open minded and try something new but Renfrew has been so good the last couple of years the down fall with renfrew is the roads in are brutal and limited dock space and accommodations. My trailer and boat got beat to snot the few times i went over to renny we traveled through Lake Cowichan over the logging roads (not reccommended).

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 05:59:09 PM »

Legend, contact Iron Noggin in Port Alberni for sure.

This is his ride: http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=7867.msg71478#msg71478

His email: mattstabler@shaw.ca

I was last told that his dates are being booked up fast for this coming season.

He will probably come on and post about how the fishing is.

roeman

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 06:29:41 PM »

Fished Bamfield in the summer of 2005, fishing inside was shitty, but when we hit 3 - 5 miles out the fishing was spectacular, only problem was the fog, like I have never seen it before, this was is August and the locals say it is always foggy if August.  As for the road in I was a little worried but the road was in really good shape, stayed at Poets Nook, not the greatest camping and the night life really sucked, everyone crashed by 11, and we ran out of warnings for staying up too late.  If all you want to do is fish, I would head there..
Are you fishin or catchin

legend

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2006, 08:14:11 PM »

Thanks for the input everyone . Rod as for going out with a guide ( iron noggin ) i would rather go out in my own boat and try my luck . The fog is not an issue as i have all necessary electronics and charts ie. VHF Radio , GPS , Cumpass. Any input from a local (Iron noggin) would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance. Another thing appealing about Alberni is the fact it's not open ocean and I'm sure the water is less intimidating then the open waters of Port Renfrew . Two seasons ago i made the run from Renfrew to the mouth of Nitnat lake it's 22 miles from Renfrew to this spot we made it in an hour and the fog was thick you couldn't see 30 feet ahead of your self kind of an Erie feeling . I'm confident in my electronics and charts my boat is probably a little small for the open waters outside bamfeild though it's 19 1/2 feet with a 115 hp four stroke merc 40 plus mph . In the 20 foot swells on the way to the Nitnat we could only run about 25 mph any faster and we were bouncing around to hard on the body. I will admit on the way to the Nitnat i was very nervous about the weather getting ugly as there is no where to hide it was all rocky shore line it was a long run but well worth it as we were rewarded with our limits after only two hours of fishing all 4 Chinooks were over 20 lbs.

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2006, 08:33:36 PM »

I wouldnt suggest port its not bad but i hate the crowds. You will get fish but only ushually 2-3 a day and you ushually only fish till 11 with the bite mostly gone by 9 although there is an evening bite. I love the first hour in port though! you always know theres gonna be action. What about north island? Gold river, quatsinos good as well. Out of that list i would say bamfield or renfrew

Reservoir Dog

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2006, 10:56:41 PM »

What about north island? Gold river, quatsinos good as well. Out of that list i would say bamfield or renfrew

When I was on VI, if the crowds got annoying in PA, then I would move upto Nooka Sound, which is usually pretty good, large enough area to avoid the tourists.

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2006, 12:41:11 AM »

Queen Charlotte.

rickjames_2

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2006, 10:54:31 AM »

i honestly just love fishing the fraser for chinooks...when you chase them on the big river with your boat it is just simply amazingly addictive fun.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2006, 09:08:20 PM »

Sorry for not replying sooner, been swamped with a few personal matters, and not online the last couple of days as a consequence.

All of your first four choices are good, and it all depends on the water temperature and run timing to make one better than the others. That said, I would suggest Port Alberni as a starting point, simply because it IS protected water, and the fishing can be tremendous at that time of year. While I do know some fishermen that tag only 2 or 3 a morning, between me and a few local buddies, we've seen up to 20+ LARGE to hand on many mornings. Again, this is dependant on what the weather & water temperature is doing, and how the fish react accordingly. This past season was entirely unusual both in terms of water temps, staging areas, and net commercial openings. A set of compounding circumstances I personally think we're unlikely see again this year.

The run to Bamfield is not all that far in a quick boat, I do it in under an hour easily. Yes, pricey on fuel, but easily do-able. Poet's Nook is a decent compromise, putting you at the doorstep to both the Inlet and the Sound. Best advice if considering there is to dump the boat in the water in Port and run it down there, stashing the trailer in Port. Have someone run your truck down with the rest of the goodies and you're all set. Note: I WILL NOT drag a trailer down that miserable trail ever again! - Lost two doing so, and prefer not to lose another! Poet's Nook places you well for fishing out as far as off Beale, the Wall, over to Kirby, Pill Point, Vernon Bay if the fish are still staging. If the conveyour has started already, an inside run is just as easy (But I would move operations base to Port if that were the case).

While Ucy can be good, if they ain't on the Banks or just in front, your options get limited. Renfrew is much the same. But both can SHINE under the right conditions...

Overall best advice: Feel free to drop me an Email just before you head out, and I'll send you the latest info on what's happening and likely to shape up for your time frame. Regardless of your decision, if the fish are there, The Dream Weaver will be likely be fishing right beside you  ;)

Cheers,
Nog