Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Good work, DFO enforcement  (Read 2604 times)

bederko

• Fish ethically, always....
Good work, DFO enforcement
« on: January 24, 2006, 08:04:37 PM »

Just wanted to thank Mike Fraser from the Chilliwack office for his response to my call about the gravel operation near Sweltzer Creek. On Jan 13, I took a drive to check out the Vedder as I had heard that it was flowing colored from below On The Way store. I noticed that the gravel pit operating near Sweltzer didn't seem to have any sediment controls in place to stop the runoff from making its way into the creek and down into the Vedder. There was a lot of silt flowing directly into this "Home of the Endangered Sockeye." The next day, I called the DFO office to report what I had seen, thinking they would already be aware of the situation. They weren't but the officer I spoke to said he would go check it out that same day.
Well, I heard back from him today. He called to personally thank me for my report and to fill me in on the situation. He did check on it that same day, he collected very good samples and had the operation shut down. The pit was shut down for 3 days while the operators dealt with the situation. They have now built all of the appropriate settling ponds, ditches and silt fencing that was recommended by an environmental monitor and are in operation again.
Mr. Fraser told me that DFO will be watching them from now on and that he was impressed with how the company dealt with this properly and immediately. (my only question is why they wouldn't have done the work before there was a problem...)
Anyhow, I'm very impressed with the way that the officers involved handled this situation and I just wanted to pass along the info in the hopes that everyone else on this forum might be more inclined to report any violations they might encounter. (I think Mr. Gadsden's political activism may be rubbing off on me). ;)
A river is never quite silent; it can never, of its very nature, be quite still; it is never quite the same from one day to the next. It has its own life and its own beauty, and the creatures it nourishes are alive and beautiful also. Perhaps fishing is only an excuse to be near rivers. - Haig-Brown

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
Re: Good work, DFO enforcement
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 08:21:33 PM »

Awesome, kudo's to you for contacting DFO. :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 11:01:29 PM »

Well done bederko, very good work. I wondered where that colored water was coming from. I was told it was from where the river was cutting into a bank. The company is lucky they were not fined.

With this change in government after last night I think we will see things improved in the  FOC department at the higher levels in Ottawa and in government policy. I would like to see funding increased in all levels in the Fisheries and Oceans Canada departments. It is ridiculous that we are raising for example coho in our hatcheries and not clipping them just to save a few dollars. I see a meeting coming up between some of our groups once the new fisheries minister is appointed to get some proper management that to me has been lacking the last while.

Once again thanks for your action on this file, we need more individuals like you that take action instead of just sitting around talking about it.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 11:43:16 PM »

It is ridiculous that we are raising for example coho in our hatcheries and not clipping them just to save a few dollars.

Just a thought but maybe they aren't clipping them so they can boost the wild numbers without having to improve habitat etc.  Thus making room for future commercial openings.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 12:02:03 AM »

It is ridiculous that we are raising for example coho in our hatcheries and not clipping them just to save a few dollars.

Just a thought but maybe they aren't clipping them so they can boost the wild numbers without having to improve habitat etc.  Thus making room for future commercial openings.
I have been told it was because of funding cutbacks.

Addicted To Steel

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 10:19:07 PM »

Well done Bederko! And well done DFO!