Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing in central america  (Read 2458 times)

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
Fishing in central america
« on: January 22, 2006, 03:42:37 PM »

Howdy fishers,

looks like I have to go to guatemala and belize this summer, so I thought I would get me a 4pc rod and a saltwater reel  :D (new toys for me)...  So my question is:

Have any of you been down there fishing before?  I would like to hear what you all have to say about it, like if I should try to go it solo, or get a guide.  What fish you went after.  Maybe a specific beach you liked. ect ect.  At this point my trip is completely flexible, so I could try to fit anything into it so give me suggestions please.

Only 179 more sleeps till fishing,

Jon

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing in central america
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 06:45:52 PM »

Both Belize and Guatemala are more expensive than nearby Mexico for whatever reason.

Sounds like you're determined to drop a lot of dough for FF gear you won't use all that much once you get back.

Will you be on the Caribbean or Pacific coast of Guatemala?

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 07:57:24 PM »

Howdy Sam.  In fact I will probably keep this stuff for streamer fishing here although you are right, a 4 peice is a bit of a pink elephant for local fishing and a saltwater reel is a bit finnicky...  I get my gear pretty cheap so it's not as bad as it sounds.  ;)

I will be on the caribbean for most of my trip...  So got any tips?

Jon

Both Belize and Guatemala are more expensive than nearby Mexico for whatever reason.

Sounds like you're determined to drop a lot of dough for FF gear you won't use all that much once you get back.

Will you be on the Caribbean or Pacific coast of Guatemala?

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 07:45:29 PM »

If you can get out to a place like Tobacco Cay and stay in a shack you'l be able to hire someone and not break the bank.
Never met anyone who fished Guatemala's caribbean coast.