Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stamp Details????  (Read 3429 times)

Grub

Stamp Details????
« on: January 11, 2006, 08:45:22 PM »

I have never fished the Stamp but I am very interested in planing a Steelhead trip there this year.   Could someone fill me in on some basic details about fishing the Stamp?

Where is the best place to stay?  When is the best time to go? (I assume any time between January and April?)  Also, how much fishing pressure does the stamp receive? Is there alot of room fishing from shore, in terms of on foot river access and number of anglers?

If any one could provide some info it would be much appreciated!

not cool enough for a banner

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Re: Stamp Details????
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 08:49:07 PM »

I believe that IronNoggin would be weighing in on this one!!  He seems to fish it everyday that it is fishable!! ;D ;D ;)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 09:05:45 PM »

The pressure is no where like it is on the Vedder.

goblin59

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 10:11:56 PM »

I'm sure IronNoggin will be more helpful than me, but I've fished the Stamp many times. I haven't been over there for a couple years now, but we always use to stay at the "Esta Villa" motel. It's pretty much right in town and there's a good neighbourhood pub really close by. If you can afford it.... GO GUIDED, just because you get to cover so much more water than by bank fishing.
I would highly recommend David Murphy and any of his guys..... they flat out know where the fish live and how to catch them. David's website is www.murphysportfishing.com. I got my first 20lb. steely (huge wild buck) while fishing up top with David.
Good Luck on your trip.

fishherron

• DSC00434-001
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 04:43:12 PM »

I agree with Gob. Shore fishing is hit and miss with the weather conditions this year. And being part mountain goat would be good .
Fish for all your worth but, remember what the fish are worth.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 08:51:25 PM »

One problem regarding the stamp is that virtually none of the river is right beside a road.  Take the vedder for instance, you can drive the length of that river an see a hundred spots from the road and start exploring from there.  Same with the thompson, I had next to no info the first time I fished it and winter steel and I hit 3 on an overnight trip.

The stamp always seems to be a 10 minute walk at least from were you park (except for the gun club) and often the trails lead down steep slopes so you don't know whats at the end until your there!

That said the gun club, stamp falls pool, and the old stamp falls store, all have trails that are easy to follow.  Get a map, talk with your local shop and have them mark down a few key runs to get you started.

If you have the $$ definitely go wityh a guide.  No bank fisher will ever cover as much water as a jet boat can and in the steelhead game, covering water is key I think.

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 09:18:36 PM »

If you park at the gun club(check in at the trailer) you can walk a ways up the river on a nice trail to above the bucket lots of nice water and easy walk(this trail might be underwater a bit though i went last with much lower water levels)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 10:28:38 PM »

Make sure you sign in first

Grub

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2006, 08:36:39 PM »

thanks boys
not cool enough for a banner

CDone

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2006, 09:42:54 AM »

Make sure you sign in first

don't forget your 5 bucks too, be nice to keep this access public.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2006, 10:19:44 AM »

when the water is as high as it was for my trip...shore fishing is essentially a write off.  The water was in the trees and the trail along the gun club path offer very few spots under those conditions.  drop it a couple feet and I could see it being great.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2006, 12:26:32 PM »

Hmmmmmm.... Typed out a somewhat lengthy reply yesterday, but it seems to have dissapeared into cyber-space  ::)

So...

Places to stay: I highly reccommend the Somas Motel (250) 724 3236.
Right on the river, they offer clean, comfortable kitchenettes at a very reasonable rate. The rooms are large, and set up kinda cabin style. Kitchenettes allow you to cook for yourself, severing the need to dine incessantly in restaraunts (although there are a few GREAT ones in town!). The majority of my buddies who come here to ply both the ocean and the river stay there, when they ain't staying at my Hacienda that is  ;)

The best time to go: The winter-run season runs from December through April. Best timing the last few years have been late December/early January (initial wave) then a bit of a lull, and February can REALLY shine! That said, we generally do quite well through March as well. The run here is actually a series of waves, so the best bet is to have a local contact inform you of when the next one has arrived. The guides are also a good source of information in this regard.

Pressure: the last couple of years have seen a lot of increased pressure on the Stamp. There's many reasons. Closure of nearly all EC systems and run failures in many other Island systems coupled with the knowledge that this system is doing comparably well draws displaced anglers from all over the Island and BC as a whole. That said, the pressure isn't anything near what I witnessed on the singular occasion I visited the Vedder (85 folks on a Thursday!) Of course the usual Gong Show can and does develop in the more popular spots - such as the intense fishery at the Falls Pool. That area is one of the very few that can be worked under the current high-water regime we've been facing down. And while it has really only room for less than half a dozen anglers, many mornings see up to 18-20 vying for position to get a cast in! Weekends are of course the worst (and I largely avoid them now as a consequence), but there have been many weekdays we've run into a fair number of folks out there. That said, one can often find areas to work that are deviod of others, or simply have but one or two in the area, by hiking/bushwhacking to to less accessible areas.

Is there a lot of shore angling room: Yes and no. A weekend she will be often crowded conditions as noted. Weekdays obviously better. And the more distance you put on from your parking space, the greater the liklyhood of finding "room". Two of my buddies have boats, one a drifter which I can use anytime, the other a jet that he generously takes me out in from time to time. And while I do enjoy those times afloat, I have caught many more when angling from the shore. That's the way I got to know this river, so no real suprize there.

Gooey nailed it with the road access matter. The vast majority of the system is removed from convenient parking (which I happen to right like!). Couple that with large areas of no accessibility (private holdings who have seen their share of grief, and closed access off permanently, gated gov't holdings, and areas that simply require strenuous and long hikes) and it can be a real test to find access that is suitable. That said, there are still many options open to the general public. The Rifle Range has decent trails up to the Bucket, and rough trails up beyond. The old Store pool has a good trail leading down (and a rough one leading up) that gets you into the area above the Bucket and upstream of there. The Falls Pool is a very easy hike, but often too crowded as a consequence of that. The Falls campground offers another relatively easy access for that area and a ways upstream. Dunno if public access is still available into Moneys (heard there were some issues there this year) as I haven't been in there for a couple of years now. The largest problem we all face with access is the increasingly disturbing actions of The Slobs, wrecking havoc, vandalism and litter to the point those that own the access become disgusted and shut it down. Since moving here, I've seen a considerable amount of access points closed due to that very obnoxious behaviour. So please, when you do come, respect the river and the land surrounding it! We can't afford to lose any more!!

Gooey and goblin touched upon a very good reccommendation. It is VERY worthwhile to engage a guide when first visiting this system. The amount of information regarding where and how to fish, what to use under varying conditions and more are invaluable! I would highly reccommend doing so to anyone considering their first foray here. Many become addicted to the fantastic opportunities offered by the experienced local guides from their jets, and rarely work the banks as a consequence. There is no question that they will cover more water, and that generally translates to more hook-ups on any given day. Dave Murphy and his excellent crew are the most recognizeable here of course. But there are a couple others of excellent caliber who know the system and her fish equally as well. If Dave is booked up when you call, he'll often refer you to one of these fine Gentz, or drop me a line if you need more information in this regard.

Gooey's last post notes this year's conditions well. It has been a VERY wet beginning, and the Lady Stamp has been much more well up into the timber than not. Bank angling has been largely an excercise in frustration, running from spot to spot simply trying to find an area you can get anywhere near enough to fish. Yes, we're used to seeing high water from time to time, but never this high for such a sustained period. Damn tough on the anglers, but beneficial for the fish - less of them being caught and more up to the spawning grounds as a consequence. She will hopefully drop soon, and then She will most likely show well why many refer to her as The River of Dreams!

So enjoy your visit, have fun, play safe, and remember to respect the landowners, the river and the land. 'Tis indeed a rather magical flow...

Cheers,
Nog

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2006, 01:10:28 PM »

Good information Matt. Also stay at the Somass Hotel when I fish for the fall chinooks.

hawg hunter

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 10:05:48 PM »

Excellent info IronNoggin. e-mail sent to you.
Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish.  ~Roderick Haig-Brown