Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder River January 6th  (Read 2869 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
Vedder River January 6th
« on: January 06, 2006, 05:56:19 PM »

Well it was stay at home and work...with wifey having aunt flow start her visit today...or go up to the Vedder...(OK a root canal would be better, Vedder is a good thing)...no one to go with so went up by myself, i spilled a cup of coffee on my keyboard last night and it fried it so had no chance to read any updates or check the water level but that's cool it was a good day out....

drove up to my (in my own mind at least) secret spot and hiked in...it was blown all the way up the bank...( i normally walk out 50 yards or more on dry ground)...water was chocolate brown with maybe a foot of vis. (this is above the prison camp and clay banks)...went down river just checking on spots but it was ripping and high all the way up. i only brought my fly gear today as I'm desperately trying to learn..and I'm dieing to try out some sheeit it tied...only spot that i found with any room for a back cast was just above the rapids at tam.bridge...so if any of you saw some fool tossing a fly line there...well that fool was me...but at least it was a good hour of practice and it was also a blast...

Headed further down, checking out different spots that might be OK, the campground or rather the gravel road off the campground area was blown bank to bank...and i stopped further down at a few more spots but the water was way up at all of them too....kind of an odd thing but as i was heading down from up top at around one, i had just crossed the tamari bridge and the road was all gravel and mud and water was pouring over it...i looked off to my right and saw the creek there had blown it's banks and was washing over the road...damn weird sight that was....

Didn't see many other guys actually fishing but saw some cars...highest I've seen it this year and very muddy...not looking much better for this weekend either..but good luck to all and be careful..it's moving out there...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 09:14:48 AM by Rodney »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Anyone else on The Vedder today?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 06:08:13 PM »

Most likely the culvert either could not handle the water or was plugged with debris.

scottm

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 06:16:09 PM »

Hey guy's i drove over HWY1 bridge at 3:45pm and it was a couple of feet from the top of the dyke.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 07:09:38 PM »

wow
weeeeeeeeeow!

flyfisherman

• addicted to flyfishing
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 07:15:51 PM »

Must of been high tide, man that is the highest i've ever heard :o
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles

scottm

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 07:52:29 PM »

What i meant was the lower road sorry bottom of the dyke.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 07:57:54 PM »

Most likely the culvert either could not handle the water or was plugged with debris.

could be, I've never noticed a creek there before, it was hauling a$$ down the side of the hill...Was actually thinking about you today and your great stories on fishing, wish i could have written one today myself...i did notice how much trash there was along the sides of the roads up and down the upper river..i myself have formed a fetish for Tim Horton's coffee and stop on my way up everytime..(god i may be living in washington but i don't like starbucks, love the Tim's)...anyway i was thinking about you and NEXT WEEKENDS VEDDER CLEANUP...I've talked another old guy into coming with me...I'll be there...just have to find where you guys are!!!!  the Vedder DESERVES a good clean up..i think that is a great thing your club does!!!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 09:22:18 PM »

Thats great that you are coming to the cleanup golfman65. There is a map under the thread in General Discussion, January Vedder River Cleanup that should help you find the assembly point.

Thanks for taking an interest in our program. I hope the river will be fishable as welll when you attend the cleanup, we will look forward to meeting you and the friend that you are bringing along.

Also I hope a few others from the forum will come and bring a friend or two along as well.

On my recent fishing trips I see some garbage that needs to be dealt with. I am sorry to say a good share of it has been dropped by fisherman. :-[ :( >:(

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 11:45:43 PM »

i remember a few years ago when the river blew out with all the rain in october, the  water was above the banks at the bailey bridge an into the tress. :o
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2006, 08:27:44 AM »

i remember in the early 90's, driving up early one morning, always hitting on the way store for a report and a donut or somethin. that morning driving through the fog, made the turn at the crossing onto chilliwack road, drove a few hundred meters and , my god.... the whole freakin road was gone, nothing but frothing river for as far as i could see. Then a couple years later, living in sardis, got up early one mornin headed to the top end of the river. the rain was coming in sheets, you could actually see the river rising , over a foot in an hour and it was already, high fast and coloured when i started fishing. A few hours later I decided it was time to pack it in, the river was ugly and the flow was getting violent, you could hear big boulders grinding and moving in the river.. Drove back down river, got to the tamahi bridge, just in time to see the river crest the bridge, it was an unbelievable sight.... then as if it was made of balsa wood, tamahi bridge collapsed right before my eyes. It was a long drive all the way around the back way, from chipmunk FSR through to promontory road. Lucky i lived out there and new the back way real good. Then there was that big slide a few years back that damn near blocked the entire flow.... yup nature can be pretty violent at times.