Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Will you be attending the Vedder River Cleanup on January 14th?

Yes, I will be.
No, I will not be.

Author Topic: January Vedder River Cleanup  (Read 8898 times)

David

Re: January Vedder River Cleanup
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2006, 05:04:49 PM »

Great thanks Rodney.

I can't wait!  This will be, not only my first time on the Vedder, but also my first real attempt at some Steel!! ;D ;D ;D

Are chest waders a must there?

David

David

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2006, 05:07:22 PM »

BTW - I'll be bringing another 2 people to help out.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2006, 11:00:50 PM »

will be there.... and i'm bringing my gear 4 sure hehe.... hope the river has some flywater that's fishable by then
Rodney,
um..... i have a whole wack of rodd butts from 10 1/2 ft down rigger rods. i could make you up a whole bunch of litter pokers, nice cork handles hehe...... let me know if your interested , i will donate 10 or more to your storage if you have room, let me know quick and i'll make some up for clean up day

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2006, 11:03:14 PM »

Sounds good. Don't ask me, you have to ask Chris, who's our storage man. ;D Thanks. :)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2006, 05:40:40 PM »

I still haven't decided if I am bringing my gear tomorrow!!  Anyone have a feeling about the river conditions for tomorrow?? ;D ;D ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

David

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2006, 05:59:44 PM »

I can't drive all that way (I live in Burnaby) and not at least have a go.  If the fish are a no-show, then at least I should have learnt a thing or two by trying. :)  Also I believe someone mentioned that the Upper end, at least, is still fishable.  Come on BS, it'll be good to wet a line with you! ;D

Pappy

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2006, 07:57:24 PM »

I'm bringing my gear and will take a look at the top end after the cleanup.
Fish Till I Drop!

Addicted To Steel

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2006, 04:19:32 PM »

Hello everybody. What a great day at the Vedder River Clean up! I have not been to this clean up before, but I have to say that I will be attending all the future ones if possible.
I was fortunate to be teamed up with Tom ( Allwaysfishin ). In only a 400 yard area of the river we managed to collect a truck load of garbage. It is truly amazing how much garbage is out there. I always pick up garbage when I am out fishing (my vest is usually full by the end of the day) but I did not realize how much was really out there until I saw all of these vehicles full of garbage collected from the river!!
It was really good to hang out with Tom. We have a lot in common and have fished and hunted in a lot of the same areas of BC. Cheers Tom!! Tom took a couple of pictures of the garbage collected, hopefully he can post them later.

Congratulations to everybody that was involved with the organizing, and collecting! Not to mention the doughnuts and coffee. ;D

It's hard to believe that they do that three or four times a year and always collect that much garbage. Wow.

Thanks everyone!! :)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2006, 04:49:48 PM »

Yes Ats, it was a great day out!!  I to couldn't believe the amount of garbage out there!!  But I guess that's why there is a Vedder Clean up!!  It really needs it!!  I'm also sorry that you got stuck with Tom!! ;D ;D  I saw him up river after the clean up, hadn't hooked anything, but said that he wasn't giving up yet!! ;)
  Also took the three people from my work, Sean, Jay and his girlfriend, up for a tour of the Vedder.  Went to the hatchery to show them how it works, and some of the more scenic parts of the Vedder as they wanted to finish off there film!!  They aren't fishermen, but the saw the need to come out and do a little something for nature.  So I thank them a lot.  BTW, was a bit surprised to still see that many Coho in the hatchery channel!!
  Anyhow, it was a great turn out and kudos to those that gave some of their time for a good cause!!  Be looking forward to getting out there again. ;D ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2006, 05:28:36 PM »

Nice to see you all today. :) Good to have a huge turnout, around 120 people I believe, a great start in 2006.

I've put all the photos sent to me in the following album:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/member/gallery/2006jancleanup

If you want me to add your photos in, email them to info@fishingwithrod.com

Buckeye

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2006, 05:47:33 PM »

Thanks a lot for being out there today guys. It truly is amazing that we can find so much garbage four times a year. Iimagine what things would look like out there if all of it was left there!  :o

We had a better turnout of volunteers today than we expected. The weather did not look too promising before 7:30 this morning, but it turned out to be a rather pleasant day.  :)
We had about 125 people participate today including boyscouts, kayakers, fishermen, trailwalkers and people who otherwise enjoy nature on the banks of the Chilliwack/Vedder river system. As a result things look just a little bit better out there again, and you guys should be proud of a job well done!

Probably the hardest working volunteers today:

The big boss surveying the damage at the Fish & Game club:

Cheers,
George

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2006, 05:58:25 PM »

was nice meeting a couple of you guys and putting faces to names...Paul, you saw who i was with, well i think you would have all died laughing if you were with us, i remembered my boots about half an hour out of Blaine, or rather that i left them by my door so i'd remember them... :-\ so only had my b.ball shoes..and my bud ron didn't bring his either, we got ranger and did three bags worth on the parking area and fronting and across the road, but if you would have seen us trying to get back to the water, well that was something else, there is no "shallow" water anywhere around there as a beaver has been very very busy...we climbed a few logs and managed to fall into it and got pretty soaked...but the funny thing was watching my buddy try to "jump" the one section...it was about 4 feet across...so he gets back for a running start and fly's about two feet and foot down in the middle...well a lot of swearing and laughing ensured..but we did manage to extract ourselves and the garbage too....

it was nice today to see that many people out doing it..was also surprised at how many fisherman were out too...and thank god it didn't rain on us like it has all week!!!...good job guys and gals...

Addicted To Steel

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2006, 06:33:04 PM »

Golfman65, man what bad luck :D Poor Ron! Did he not just get wet at the Stave a few days ago? At least it didn't rain to top that off. ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2006, 09:22:59 PM »

Thanks to all the people from FWR and the other fishing web sites that turned out today and made the cleanup such a success once again. It was good to meet new faces and of course all the regulars that turn out at each and every cleanup since CVRCC started over 3 years ago.

I am always impressed that so many will give up part of their weekend and travel in some cases a 100 km or more to take part.

It is great that we all can put something back into the Chilliwack Vedder River that gives us so many days of enjoyment each year be it anglers, kayakers, walkers, birders and other citizens concerned about our environment.

Thanks once again to all that make the Adopt A River program such a success, it was very rewarding to the directors today to see well over a 100 people take part today. Wonderful ;D ;D

allwaysfishin

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2006, 10:12:13 PM »

had a lot of fun today, good coffee, good folks to hang out with. Really good to meet addicted to steel (paul), we'll have to hit the flow one day. Was a great turn out today and as Paul mentioned, we found a pretty hefty amount of garbage for 2 guys in small stretch of river bank. I think I am going to be a lot more conscious of what i walk past on my daily fishing adventures.... reminding myself that it shouldn't only be 1 day every three months that motivate me to pick up the trash i see on every outing. I'm going to add extra trash bags to my gear list.
Well, to all who organized and participated in todays event..... congrats on a job well done, look forward to seeing ya' all again in a few months