Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fish scents...Do they work?  (Read 4788 times)

timbo

Fish scents...Do they work?
« on: December 16, 2005, 04:42:35 PM »

This is a topic that I haven't heard anyone talk about yet. Do they work? Do you use them? Why?

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Re: Fish scents...Do they work?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 04:50:17 PM »

When I'am curing my roe sometimes if im feeling lucky ill put some on before. I find it works for trout also. I drench my power eggs in it when I'am fishing at buntzen.
weeeeeeeeeow!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 06:57:36 PM »

Short answer is yes, they do work.

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 09:50:41 PM »

If my baits arent scented I don't have confidence. Plain and simple they do make a difference in the right conditions.

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 06:37:17 AM »

I use scent only after using my baits scent-free.....its a mess thing...I'd rather not git that stinky stuff on my hands clothes etc....I use Dr Juice....worked ok in Onterrible for steel when the water colors up.....;))

mojo
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 01:21:35 PM »

Yes scents work I tested a number of them years ago. I use to use them all the time but stopped about 10 years ago, it's a progressive thing. WD40 works as good as any on the open market; if you want something that works better than that, try anchovy oil. Another trick, scent your your leader not your lure or fly, this way your fly doesn't end up looking like a gooey blob and your lures don't discolor due to a chemical reaction.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Bone Cross

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005, 05:33:15 PM »

Birdman, if your going to put anise oil on roe bags why not just use jensen eggs?
from a Redneck point of View!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 05:35:55 PM »

Well a fair amount of the time I will just use wool and dip the wool in the aniseed oil!!!  If that doesn't work then I put on the jensen egg! ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

timbo

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005, 09:44:36 AM »

Hey all,

Thanks for the imput. I tried it out last Sunday with no sucess...not much happening where I was, but it was great to get out and explore some more of the river. WD40??? is that a joke or does it actually work?

Merry Christmas to all and best of luck on those Steelies!!

Tim

Bone Cross

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2005, 05:43:18 PM »

People may believe WD40 is a scent, however they are mistakably wrong. WD40 scrubs off the human odours or w/e odours happen to be on the bait. Once the bait hit's the water the water rinses off the bait and the WD40 leaving it odourless. Have a look if you choose to put WD40 on your bait. The minute it touches the water it is all washed away ;)
from a Redneck point of View!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2005, 11:26:02 PM »

Don't think that it's quite correct. WD40 I believe is oil based. Some of it will be washed off once in contact with the water as with any scent but not all. I've caught sturgeons on it.

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2005, 06:56:49 AM »

Don't think that it's quite correct. WD40 I believe is oil based. Some of it will be washed off once in contact with the water as with any scent but not all. I've caught sturgeons on it.

again....thats not quite correct....WD40 is a cleaner not a lubricant....and not oil based...its used mainly as a penetrating agent to loosen rust and debris from various metals...;))

mojo just tryin' ta help
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley