Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: coho season in review  (Read 10535 times)

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
Re: coho season in review
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2005, 11:42:28 PM »

I am just curious. You eat fish that much? Don't get me wrong I am not trying to start a debate here. A buddy and I were talking about this yesterday when we were fishing. Some people think that because the limits are set that they are almost obligated to keep what they catch. I haven't caught that many hatchery this year but if I did I wouldn't bonk that many since most of it would sit in the freezer for quite some time. I could eat salmon at the most once a week Meaning if I had 27 coho that would last me 6 months. Plus their are springs, pinks, chums and sockeye ( which I dint fish for unless I go to the ocean ) So with all those fish their must be some wasted fish. One thing I dint like to see is people catching fish and giving them away. If they would have thought about it while they were fishing and knew at that time that they weren't going to eat it themselves than they could have let the fish go.

Like I said I am not trying to start a debate. If you eat that much salmon than theirs absolutely nothing wrong with that. It just got me thinking in general.

They are not all for me. Some for my parents and kids. 
I also give some fish to my neighbors who are retired and on fixed income (Senior Citizen) and cannot fish and cannot afford to buy them from store.  They are expensive to buy. I do not know how anyone can speak ill of our Senior Citizen and say that they do not deserve such generosity.  :'(
So you can say what you want.  I caught them legally and I am allowed to give them to who ever I wish that wants them and would not waste them.
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

allwaysfishin

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2005, 01:07:16 PM »

i agree with ryan 100%. though i didn't spend a lot of time on local flows this year for coho, close friends of mine managed 2 to 4 hatchery fish on nearly every outing. these guys fish blades and bait and are hardcore anti flossers. I was starting to get sick of seeing pics and hearing thier reports so i did put some time in at the tail end. for 4 days on the water (1 vedder/3 suicide) i killed 5 hatchery, released 6 wild and 2 boots and lost 4 that appeared to be coho. hooked only 7 chum.
i've been fishing these rivers for over 18 years and even though they change shape, if the coho are there it's only a matter of changing up your presentation and drift choice until they bite.
take the chehalis for example.... a few years ago we would get there long before first light to be the first guys in one of the "glory" holes. That first 20 mins of fishable light was the key, nice little ball of roe with a tiny white yarn and it was coho one after another.... then nothing. that's when the switch came for #3 nickel or gold colorados, fished just below the chums... and bang bite on again for a little while the nothin. that's about when we'd pack up and head er home, limits of hatchery coho all around. we would be leaving the hole by 1 1/2 after sunrise, guys looking at us in disgust because the vast majority of them hadn't caught anything but chums.
   Applying this tactic on the chehalis was a sure fire bet as long as the conditions were right and the fish were present. Every flow will be different and of course every years fish numbers will vary but cycling through your gear, especially at first light is key to getting otherwise non biting fish to aggresively turn on.
that's what's worked for me, not saying it's the holy grail of advice though

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2005, 02:46:57 PM »

Wow....you must be out every single day Ryan...good work (or lack of!).

7 times out, a few hooked, none landed.  Not enough hours on the rivers, and most of them exploratory....oh well...next year!  On to cutties, steel and ice fishing!

DAWGMAN

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2005, 10:05:51 PM »

:-\went out 6 times landed6 fish
                  bonked 4 hatchery
                   released 2 boots.
 no wild ones this year