Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Petition of Rockfish Conservation Area Proposal  (Read 1821 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Petition of Rockfish Conservation Area Proposal
« on: November 25, 2005, 04:32:08 PM »

Posting it for OBD.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishy_news/051125.html

November 25th, 2005: Petition of Rockfish Conservation Area Proposal

From Chris Bos:

I have just received this email from Sean Moore of Oak Bay Marine Group's
Pedder Bay Marina, he has put together a petition about angling opposition
to the RCAs (Rockfish Conservation Areas) proposed in the Inside Georgia Strait waters for 2006.

I strongly urge you to print a copy(ies) of this petition and take it (them) where
anglers can sign their support. We need your help to get our message across.

Download petition file

Thanks and your efforts to get anglers to sign this will really help get the
message to DFO that we have had enough!

Businesses, especially tackle stores, can really help gather signatures by
putting the petition where your clients can see it.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Chris Bos
Chair - Victoria Committee
Sport Fishing Advisory Board
governor@shaw.ca
250-652-4141

Back to Fishy News.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Petition of Rockfish Conservation Area Proposal
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 06:05:45 PM »

Just in case if you are not familiar with the rockfish conservation strategy, the information can be found on this page.

The strategy involves having designated rockfish conservation areas. DFO plans to designate more areas as RCAs in the near future. A map of current RCAs and proposed RCAs can be viewed in [urlhttp://www-comm.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/pages/consultations/fisheriesmgmt/rockfish/Rockfish_maps_fall05/WebPage/RCA_Proposals.html=]this section[/url].

Fishing activities are restricted in a RCA. Permitted fishing practices in a RCA are listed on this page.

Total closure of fishing with lines and hooks is in place in RCAs. Now this would be perfectly fine in the name of saving groundfish species.

However, why is groundfish by mid-water trawl allowed for the commercial sector in RCAs? Wouldn't they be catching the same fish that we intend to protect in the first place?

Why is there a total ban of fishing with lines and hooks, when you can flyfish on the beach, surface from a boat for salmonid species without encountering a single groundfish in the deeper water column?

I don't participate in saltwater fishing that much but it seems, as usual, the sportfishing sector is being singled out as the main factor of stock depletion. Such double standard (allowing one group to fish while shutting out the other) seems to be done for public relationship.

You decide.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 08:45:11 AM »

Total closure of fishing with lines and hooks is in place in RCAs. Now this would be perfectly fine in the name of saving groundfish species.

However, why is groundfish by mid-water trawl allowed for the commercial sector in RCAs? Wouldn't they be catching the same fish that we intend to protect in the first place?

Why is there a total ban of fishing with lines and hooks, when you can flyfish on the beach, surface from a boat for salmonid species without encountering a single groundfish in the deeper water column?

I don't participate in saltwater fishing that much but it seems, as usual, the sportfishing sector is being singled out as the main factor of stock depletion. Such double standard (allowing one group to fish while shutting out the other) seems to be done for public relationship.
First off there are Mid Water species of Groundfish that can be targeted by flying trawls-and that is what they do is fly them underwater-at the appropriate depth.
This knowledge is available on the net all you have to do is look it up.
As to total hook 'n line closure I've seen all sorts of juvenile Rockfish hooked by shore anglers and a ban would eliminate this.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 01:24:16 PM »

Yes but why close recreational fishing ONLY???
Also shore fishing if a rockfish is caught it will most likely survive after release. It is only when fishing deep those large rockfish would not survive C&R.