Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CHILLIWACK COHO  (Read 6454 times)

Floater

• Old Timer
Re: CHILLIWACK COHO
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2005, 11:30:09 PM »

I dont know if you can say "certainly" but who knows.
[

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2005, 11:40:23 PM »

Sorry, I misread, been looking at fish all day. ;)

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2005, 03:29:18 AM »

I look at fish all day every day. :P
[

Nostro

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2005, 08:42:26 AM »

BTW, did anybody catch the hour show on Alexandra Morton's work? It was on the Knowledge Network last night. It was a beautiful and shocking program. I've read some article written by her on the sea lice problems in the vicinity of these fish farms, but seeing the physical evidence and testimony of others was shocking! >:( And the total disregard of the evidence by DFO over the years is unbelievable. It's a show well worth catching.
Never look a fish in the eye.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2005, 04:25:56 PM »

BTW, did anybody catch the hour show on Alexandra Morton's work? It was on the Knowledge Network last night. It was a beautiful and shocking program. I've read some article written by her on the sea lice problems in the vicinity of these fish farms, but seeing the physical evidence and testimony of others was shocking! >:( And the total disregard of the evidence by DFO over the years is unbelievable. It's a show well worth catching.
Yes, I saw that as well.  I was not very surprised by the goverments disregard for the findings though, as I figure that the goverment has a piece of this in some way.  ::) ::)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2005, 04:34:01 PM »

Yep i saw that program but its a bit old they need to do an update show to see if anything has changed.
[

buck

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2005, 05:17:18 PM »

Rodney

No population estimates were done on wild juvenile smolts from the Vedder River. Hatchery smolts were counted as they were marked into the ponds. We have a standard % loss we apply to the population which accounts for fish taken by predators during rearing. We monitor numerous creeks in the watershed and try to come up with a ball park estimate of the number of spawner's in the watershed. Stock assessment also use " models " to predict the population size in the system.
Downstream trapping of juveniles to access survival rates has been scaled back over the years due to budget cuts.