Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16

Author Topic: Steelhead!!!!!  (Read 56590 times)

mojoman

• Old Timer
Re: Steelhead!!!!!
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2005, 07:18:31 AM »

I'm 48.....and not poor guy Pin Head....if ya think about it...mebbe poor you younger guys...all I learned from steelheadin' I had to learn on my own....no internet to glean info from...only experience via trial and error....and of course any info the locals would share...when you learn on your own the lessons stick......my dad 'n I started fishin' steels in the early 70's.....took 2 seasons before we were hookin' fish....at that time most steel fishers fished with 10 ft glass rods sensitive tip....but loads of backbone....spinning reel loaded with 12 lb test....roe-bag with a couple split shot bout 18 in from hook....we learned how to tell the difference betwixt a bite and the weights tickin' the bottom.....amazing how gentle a 15 lb steel take can be.....then came center pin reels and noodle rods sportin' 4lb test mainlines....and floats came right along with the noodle.....way less hangups way more hook ups....in '96 I moved from my fav rivers and kinda hung up my rod.....movin' here has got me thinkin' that that ol' pin ain't quite at retirement age yet.....as for my setup on the terminal end....used a barrel swive below the float  connected to 4lb tippet....Mustad Laser Sharp hooks in #16..(the reason for such a small hook is simple....when you hook a species not targeted(read ol' scummy chinook) you simply point your rod at the fish....wrap line around your hand and let the fish pull the hook straight....retrieve ....rebend....go back at it....tyin' knots in the cold is a chore for me).....and a single-egg sized piece of chartruse sponge....adjust splitshot and float so you tick the bottom of the run every 3 casts or less.....the shape is suggestive and the color attracts...;))

mojo not poor or old....but on my way in both directions....lol...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 07:23:53 AM by mojoman »
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2005, 11:18:40 AM »

last year was my first attempt at steelheading.  I hooked 4 and landed one chrome hatch about 12 lbs.  I caught them all on the vedder, I tried the Seymour a bunch of times but didn't even get a nibble.  Anyone else have any luck with steel on the Seymour?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2005, 12:03:02 PM »

last year was my first attempt at steelheading.  I hooked 4 and landed one chrome hatch about 12 lbs.  I caught them all on the vedder, I tried the Seymour a bunch of times but didn't even get a nibble.  Anyone else have any luck with steel on the Seymour?

I have caught them in the Seymour but I have much better luck with the other local river.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2005, 04:57:51 PM »

So I wasn't that far off on the age!!!!! ;D ;D  Also, that sounds like quite the setup you use.  I was wondering though, you re bend your hooks when you straighten them long line releasing a fish???  I was just wondering how that works!?!?!?!?  Doesn't that totally kill the integrity of the hook, you could only get away with that maybe once couldn't you???  For me, I like to have fresh gear on as much as I can.  I always check my hook sharpness, leader whatever bait I'm using, If it is not up to code, I change it, cold hands or not!!!!!  ;) ;)  Cause you never know when you're going to get that big chrome steely and you will need all the help you can get!! ;D ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2005, 05:10:02 PM »

you were right on the money with the age thing....I'm gonna say your 33.... ;D.....hope this explains the rest of your post....these hooks for whatever reason seem to not mind the rebend thing....as far as the integrity of the hook....when fishing fast water for big fish with lite line....you really don't force the fish you hook....but rather "guide" the fish....a 10 lb steelie won't be bullied by 4lb Maxima...if someone tells you different.....don't go fishin' with him/her... ;D ;D

hope this helps....;)

mojo
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2005, 05:35:54 PM »

Yeah I got it after reading your post again, I missed the 4lb leader thing :o :o  Holy crap, 4 lb leader!!!!!!  Well I guess that you would have to just let the fish play himself out with that now wouldn't you.  I normally use 8lb leader for pretty much everything!!!!! ;) ;) ;)  If the water is gin clear then I go to a 6lb flourocarbon, which seems to do the trick as well!!! ;D ;D

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2005, 06:19:41 PM »

Holy 3 pound! i have never gone lower than 6.
[

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2005, 06:26:46 PM »

one of the advantages of 12 ft and longer rods is you can apply pressure on a fish from a greater # of angles.....hence the "guiding" aspect of playin' large fish on lite line.....btw.....u should be rather light-of-foot to fish this way... ;D ;D ;D ;D

mojo

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2005, 06:37:35 PM »

Still looking for my first. I feel it this winter on the stamp! If i can get out enough. I have already been promised a trip for my birthday around xmas ;D

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2005, 06:46:05 PM »

one of the advantages of 12 ft and longer rods is you can apply pressure on a fish from a greater # of angles.....hence the "guiding" aspect of playin' large fish on lite line.....btw.....u should be rather light-of-foot to fish this way... ;D ;D ;D ;D

mojo
Don't you worry about that I am very light of foot!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D  My poles are 11'6" so, I do like to play the fish, I don't like horsing in anything, it takes all fun out of it for me !!!!! ;D ;D

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2005, 06:59:12 PM »

I have witnessed trout over 10lbs caught on 3lb leaders.
Actions speak louder than words.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2005, 07:19:58 PM »

Yeah, that is the only way that we could get them to bite at Lake Kathrine in Riding Mountain National Park!!!!!!! ;D ;D  But once they did, man was it a show!!!!! Acrobatics like you wouldn't believe!!!!! ;D ;D  I got my biggest Rainbow ever on 4 lb test.  11lbs 4 oz.  Got a master angler award for it to!!!!!  It was a big deal when I was 10!!!!!  LOL ;D ;D

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2005, 07:54:54 PM »

If you want to attract Bif to the topic just mention test of the line. :P I dont doubt you Bifchan if never fished to huge lake trout so ill take your word for it.
[

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2005, 08:26:04 PM »

Nice pics guys :D
weeeeeeeeeow!

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2005, 08:40:10 PM »

If you want to attract Bif to the topic just mention test of the line. :P I dont doubt you Bifchan if never fished to huge lake trout so ill take your word for it.

You know how to get my attention. It's like a giant beacon into the sky but instead of a bat inscribed in a circle it will be a line rating.
Actions speak louder than words.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16