Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Blades?  (Read 2031 times)

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
Blades?
« on: November 03, 2005, 11:06:24 PM »

Have tried Colorados but with no luck! Do u fish them with a float or by themselfs with just a bit of weight?  Curious, I want to be a better fisherman! Which are best, dimpled or plain? Salt or no salt! Thats a joke! Sorry! But do want to know about blades, especially since I hear they are working so good!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Blades?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 11:13:42 PM »

They can be used both ways under a float and cast and retrieve. I've had success using both methods.

allwaysfishin

Re: Blades?
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 11:59:43 PM »

for coho and steelhead I have my best luck on size 3 or 4 hammered (dimpled) finish in either gold or nickel. For steelhead I mostly use a 50/50 genuine gold/silver plated french blade sizes 3,4 or 5.
I generally fish these under a float and will often use medium shot spaced 2 inches apart up my mainline from the swivel, usually 5 or 6 for your standard 6 inch x 3/4 foam float. I will also use a longer leader of about 2 to 2 1/2 feet. when float drifting blades you do not want to be bumping bottom with your weight. Imagine the average depth of the drift you are making and adjust your float so your offering is a foot off bottom. I also hold back a bit on the freespool so as to present the blade downstream of the float. Can be very deadly in the shallows and especially in the riffles around large boulders.