Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: There was this chum...  (Read 3172 times)

No_way

There was this chum...
« on: October 28, 2005, 11:23:35 AM »

Hi,

I was fishing a couple days ago at CRAB Park (between Canada Place and the cargo port).  I wound in to find what looked like a HUGE chum following my bait up.  I didn't end up catching it.  I say it was a chum from what a swear was the distinctive purple bars.  But do the bars form while they are still in the ocean?  What system could it have spawned in and then made it back out and all the way to CRAB Park?  It didn't look as bad as the spawned out ones I've seen before.  I guess I may have imagined the bars and it was some other salmon.

Your thoughts?

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Re: There was this chum...
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 11:36:43 AM »

That could be the chum heading into Stanley Park BC Hydro Salmon project stream. And yes Chum can start to change colour in ocean.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 07:43:16 PM »

there is also a man made stream in hastings park that has chum released in it every year.

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 07:54:09 PM »

Couple of chum I say today caught on the Squamish still had sea lice on them, but were all striped up and coloured.  They were just in from the ocean on the high tide  and were amongst others that were still silvery so some definitely do start changing before they actually reach freshwater.

No_way

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2005, 02:21:13 PM »

Thanks all!

Ok, I guess it couldn't hurt to drag my green and silver croc through the water next time I'm down. 

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 05:30:16 PM »

Chums like all Pacific salmon die after they spawn. There are no repeat spawners.

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005, 06:08:19 PM »

I saw a strange thing on the vedder yesterday. walking across a little side body of water, when i saw a spring. or i though it was a spring. it had blacks spots on its head and all along its upper body, but also had the exact colouring of a chum, the smae canine teeth and head of a chum. i know some springs turn green and black, bronze, but this had the purple bars, yellow/black etc. i've never seen this before ???