Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Access to Money's Pool Jeopardized!!!  (Read 5376 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
Access to Money's Pool Jeopardized!!!
« on: October 25, 2005, 02:15:01 PM »

Access to the incredible run, named for the man who LOVED that very special place, General Noel Money, is in jeopardy. Haig-Brown furthered the renown of that awesome place, and it has, and does, draw anglers from all over the world to experience the Magic the Stamp can be.

In a disturbing development, the fellow who now owns the property through which access is gained, has decided to exercise his right to build a home overlooking the run, one of the more picturesque on the Stamp. No fault to this Gentleman, if I owned it, I certainly would enjoy looking out over that stunning vista over my morning’s cup of java. And while he is of course entirely entitled to doing just that, access right through the middle of his yard would be severely curtailed.

The hosts of anglers who have enjoyed this special section of river come from far and wide. Many from outside the continental Canada/USA, and the name Money’s Pool is recognizable internationally as a consequence. The benefits and enjoyment to anglers plying this famous flow are obvious, and many feel a special link not just with the River, but with historic mentors of the past who enjoyed the same. The local, and oft suffering economy realizes great influxes directly due to those desiring to view and ply this famous run, in the form of food, accommodations, car rentals, fuel sales and gear sales. An even more beneficial aspect is the increased revenue generated by license sales, which goes partially to the "Freshwater Fisheries Society" to continue their work, especially with the concern over the declining number of license sales over the last few years. All of this may soon be lost to us, and the future generations of anglers following in our footsteps.

More and more, access to the best water for angling is becoming restricted. In my short decade here, I’ve had the misfortune to witness access point after access point forever lost. In many of these situations, bad actors are to blame, landowners simply become frustrated with the shoddy behavior of the few, and deny access to all in order to escape the related problems. In the past, my answer has always been to run, to try and find The Place where fences and rules are minimized. Sadly, that Place no longer exists, I have nowhere left to run and I find myself watching that which I hold most dear being slowly and surely stripped away. 

While I am certain there are more than a few boat guides who would be pleased if the property development goes ahead and there is no bank fishing on Money's, leaving them to a private playground which was once a signifigant part of our angling heritage, I sincerely hope this doesn’t come to pass. The loss of another Sportsfishing Icon, yet another nail in the coffin.

The Landowner has informed concerned anglers and the folks in Government that he is willing to reconsider. What he is looking for in exchange is fair market value for the property, however that price tag is high. The current property assessment comes in well over $ 300K, however he has generously suggested he would be willing to accept that amount as compensation, and look for another riverside vista on which to build his home. That type of funding is very difficult to raise, even with the level of fame Money’s Pool enjoys.

As for where we go from here, I simply don’t know…

I would like to suggest that those who might be concerned please contact the following to express your views/concerns regarding this matter:

The City of Port Alberni (4850 Argyle Street, Port Alberni, BC V9Y 1V8, Fax # (250) 723 1003, E-mail: citypa@city.port-alberni.bc.ca );

The Alberni Valley Chamber of Commerce (2533 Port Alberni Hwy, Port Alberni, BC V9Y 8P2, Fax # (250) 724 6560 E-mail: avcoc@alberni.net );

The Alberni-Clayoquot Regional District (3008 5th Ave, Port Alberni, BC V9Y 2E3, Fax # (250) 723 1327, Email: mailbox@acrd.bc.ca )

The Pacific Rim Tourism Association (3100 Kingsway, Port Alberni, BC V9Y 3B1, Email: info@pacificrimtourism.ca )

Perhaps the best possible solution might be to have the area purchased and protected via the BC Provincial Parks portfolio. The Minister of Environment, Hon. Barry Penner, is the man who oversees that portfolio (PO Box 9047 Stn Prov Govt, Victoria, BC V8W 9E2 Fax #: 250 387-1356, E-mail: WLAP.Minister@gov.bc.ca ) and the main office for the Ministry of Environment contacts: (PO Box 9339 Stn Prov Govt, Victoria BC V8W 9M1, Fax #: 250 387-5669, E-mail: www.wlapmail@gov.bc.ca ) This is most likely a long-shot, as it seems the provincial government has a lot more on it’s mind these days than dealing with matters of import to it’s citizens, but entirely worth a letter or two…

By informing these organizations of our collective concern, it might buy enough time to allow the necessary purchase capitol to be raised, and thus prevent the loss of this famous run to our Angling Community’s future. As in all such things, the more folks that express their concern and opinion in this regard, the more attention the matter will be given. If desired, I will attempt to draw up a generic letter of concern that folks here can use as a template.

I realize that I have called upon you folks many times in the past to help with this or that cause, and to those that helped, I want you to know just how much that is appreciated! Unfortunately, I find myself imploring you once again to step up to bat, to let your feelings be known, and to try and make a difference. It takes but a few moments of your day to do so, and I hope that each and every one of us strongly considers doing so. Collectively we CAN make a difference! It would be a MIGHTY SHAME were we to lose access to this beautiful, historic and productive run!

Sadly,
Nog

PS: I welcome any and all other thoughts/recommendations regarding how to attempt to deal with this matter!!!
Regards, Matt Stabler

phatwop

Re: Access to Money's Pool Jeopardized!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 12:13:47 PM »

this is unfortunate, it's a great river.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 01:53:24 PM »

this is unfortunate, it's a great river.

I'd second that. So many good memories from there.  I caught my first steelie at money's pool.  I remember one trip with my wife and our guide Kenny Myers (about 12 years ago).  We were anchored upstream from the pool and the bank was lined up with about 4 or 5 bank anglers.  Since we had a better presentation we managed to hook 8 summerruns  in a half an hour right in front of them. I hope everything works out and we can continue to fish there.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 02:33:08 PM »

YOU can and DO make a difference in the outcome here folks! each Email and/or letter DOES make a difference! Please, if this concerns you, fire off a few to the links I posted above...

Working on options right now, tough going, but trying...

I'll update as (when?) any progress is made. in the meantime, take a minute, and let them know we CARE!!

Cheers & Thanks!
Nog

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 02:36:30 PM »

I've never been there before. But would it be possible to gain access to the spot along his property perimeter? Or is it his decision will cause no fishing from the river bank?

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 02:57:24 PM »

Due to the nature of his property lines, skirting that is damn near impossible. And he does own the land right to high water mark. Best and really only option is purchase.

Just need to buy the time required to raise the interest and capitol...

Nog

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 03:27:36 PM »

Nog, if my numbers come in tonight consider that property sold!!! ;D

James

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2005, 04:31:34 PM »

well it is too bad that a person owns that area and this will mean no access , not that I know a single thing about money's pool , but for "what it's worth" nearly 80%+ of all rivers and lakes in europe are on , or run through PRIVATE property and you have to ask for permission just to fish the area' s , So maybe we are not in that bad of a position here in BC , imagine what it would be like if 80% of the rivers and lakes here were like that .

goblin59

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2005, 08:41:38 PM »

Ken Myers is one of the best fisherman I've ever met. Fished with him many times..... great guy too.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2005, 09:33:22 PM »

The days of almost unlimited access are ending.
Already one other famous pool on the Stamp has been closed due to people leaving garbage and generally acting like idiots.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2005, 05:44:36 PM »

I am withdrawing from any further efforts in this regard. Apparently I have overstepped my bounds, and that has been called to my attention. Please do not send any further Emails nor letters. Thanx.

ROD. Please delete or close this thread.

Nog  >:(