Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: know what happened to my "cheap" gears?  (Read 2576 times)

Sinaran

know what happened to my "cheap" gears?
« on: October 26, 2005, 09:51:28 PM »

ok, so i had trouble casting with the baitcaster i bought not long ago, couldn't fish properly at the stave last week.  to get ready for this week's trip to the stave again, i bought another reel at canadian tire (quantum medium light snapshot), and a shimano medium heavy 8' rod from Walmart, fished with 12 lbs line. then on monday at that stave, when i was fighting a nasty chum, the rod was bending like the rod tip was perpendicular to the holder. all in a sudden, i heard some very light and slow cracking sound, from my rod!!  and when i looked at the rod, to my surprise the rod was cracking near the joint! geez...   i had to point straight to the fish and tightened up the drag.... snap! there went. 
frustrated, i took my old daiwa 7' graphite composite rod out for replacement. and on my next fish on, the reel screwed up!  it wasn't spinning smoothly, there's like something was stuck in the reel and i could hardly retrieve the line in.  darn!! WTF!!!  can't u believe it!??   :o :-[it was just a chum, what if i got hooked up with a huge spring? smoking up the reel and break it into parts?  so, guys, if u decide to go sport fishing, don't be stingy on your gears, spend money the smart way and get the gears with good reputation, and for long run it's worth it. 

the broken down gears are:
Shimano FX MH80 8' medium heavy action Rod      $29.95
Quantum snapshot medium light action spinning reel  $39.95   

cheap stuffs, i know.
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
Re: know what happened to my "cheap" gears?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 10:13:07 PM »

well......quality also comes with a price... sorry for your misfortune.

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 10:50:14 PM »

i learnt never to buy salmon gear at canadian tire/walmart it all sucks. for s light spinning set up for trout it ok.... but army and navy carry name brands. or go to a tackle shop..best bet. all though i really like army and navy

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 12:17:28 AM »

Damn bring back bad memory. Mine wasn't a cheat reel. But this is what I found out.

Your reel, Quantum Snapshot has back end tension adjustment knob. This type of spin reel is only good for small fish and one that doesn't 'pull' hard. If you want to use spin reel for large fish and ones that fight well you need top end tension adjustment. Otherwise no matter how expensive your reel is, when you meet up with a fish that pull hard your back end tension adj. reels will loose tracksion.

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 02:00:52 PM »

My spinning rod is a 8.5 foot medium-light action from Walmart and I absolutely love it.  Its an Omni and I can't find them anymore.  It can handle chum but its ideal for coho.  Speaking of the reels, Quantum used to be much better quality but now they are fairly cheap and replaceable.  I had an older quantum and hooked a large number of coho on the harrison in 2001 and basically pooched it.  I don't even mind, cause what a great way to pooch it.....  I still use them today, but certainly you do get what you pay for and you can't go wrong with a quality reel.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 07:27:54 PM »

Always go with the best gear you can afford. It's cheaper in the long run.