Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Springs in the Vedder  (Read 6551 times)

Eagleye

• Old Timer
Re: Springs in the Vedder
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2005, 11:40:28 AM »

I'm glad some effort is being made to 'enhance' the run of reds.  When using a salmon for broodstock how far into it's spawning phase does the fish need to be and does it need to come from a live fish?  The reason why I ask is maybe anglers could assist the hatchery in capturing some reds for broodstock.  The hatchery could put up signs requesting anglers to call them up if they catch a red.  With only 50 reds returning to spawn the introduction of the whites doesn't seem to be helping the wild run.  I thought that was the main purpose of a hatchery.  ::)  Hey buck do you know what the hatchery's purpose is for producing the whites?  Does anyone know if or when the vedder had a healthy population of reds?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 11:42:20 AM by Eagleye »

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2005, 01:07:27 PM »

Hatcheries have never helped wild runs. They do the exact opposite by displacing wild salmon with hatchery clones. The reason they're in place is to augment depleted/non existent runs so that us anglers can take something home.
Actions speak louder than words.

scalper66

• here fishy fishy
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2005, 06:34:32 PM »

i still dont get it what "differennce " is there between a wild and hatchery eaither way its a fish coming back to spawn

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2005, 08:19:05 PM »

i thought the vedder chinook reds were taken from fraser river brood stock. with the poularity of the vedder at this time, the white springs take quite a burden off the the coho i think as they increasingly become harder to track down. i don't know why the hatchery has to raise chum. it would be more beneficial to have an every year pink run instead in the vedder. Chum are excellent fighters(when hooked in the mouth!) but their flesh and apperance just don't do it for me. and then its their teeth you have to deal with when trying to unhook them.