Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chehalis - Oct 22nd  (Read 5506 times)

Gooey

• Old Timer
Chehalis - Oct 22nd
« on: October 22, 2005, 03:30:03 PM »

Well, it was a disappointing day on the chehalis and harrison area.  My dad and I covered a lot of water and did not bump a single coho.  Lots of chums and springs in the chehalis, chums and pinks in the Harrison (by the #7 bridge), but no coho.

We did see a few silvers kicking around some really skinny water but they were so spooks they moved away from our lures even when they were 6 feet away!

We hucked roe, spoons, blades, jigs...all to no avail.

Hope you guys did better. 

If you ask me there arent many coho in the chehalis right now and even the boats working the #7 bridge area had nothing to report.

Stick to the ved if you head out tomorrow.

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Chehalis - Oct 22nd
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 04:25:03 PM »

I have to agree, I was there as well, were you down river fishing with a rapidex?, if so I bumped into you. Very quiet not good.

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 05:05:20 PM »

yup hitting the vedder tommrow  8) wont be hitting the chehalis till about mid- ;)november

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2005, 05:49:55 PM »

Sgt, I was carrying a 7wt fly rod with a silver seldex 2 on it, I also had a green rod bag slung over my shoulder...where you the guy with the black pin fishin in the roots tight to the river bank?

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005, 06:28:27 PM »

You betcha, go by minnie-me on a few other forums.
So not much in your travels, give it a couple of weeks and it'll heat up.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 08:44:17 PM »

thanks for the report guys. was planning on heading out tommorrow. will try the local flow instead.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005, 11:44:56 PM »

too bad
weeeeeeeeeow!

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2005, 09:45:01 AM »

while on the harrison, I saw several coho jump inside of my casting range so thay were there...just not interest.  Hucked blue foxes, crocs, coho spoons, and iron heads.  I figured that those all would cover varying depths of the water colum but just no luck.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2005, 09:52:58 AM »

Too bad the Harrison is too high to wade at this point.  We drove over the Harrison on Friday and it was high!  I've tied up a bunch of coho flies that I've been "itching" to use!

miketheflyguy

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2005, 03:42:44 PM »

The Harrison Is Guide galore right now, a guide every where. We were sturegeon fishing out there and I counted about 15 guide boats that past us in 2.5 hours and counted several more fishing on bars and anchored in the river.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2005, 11:22:02 PM »

Got  back from the Chehailis today . Was camped out for the weekend . Saturday mornin was good at the ES run ,sounds like some of you didn't do well  :P . It is still early for this river as it will come into full swing in a couple + weeks weather permiting . its funny when I talk to some other fellow anglers , not all but a couple here and there , they keep saying " yah, the coho seem to be  coming in late this year"  ???. NOT . I have been fishing this river for 15+ years and once and a while we get the odd year that a big push of Coho in the system early October.  :) Checked out the Harrison just to have a look , and yes ther were lots of boats out there ,one boat was just under the #7 bridge and off to the side releasing about an 8' sturgeon and another boat was drifting down in front of Kilby stong arming another. Sunday was a bit of a gong show , I had 2 on for a few seconds a few good head shakes and fish off. I seen one fish landed in the morning . Most people left by around 10am. because no fish showed up. The water is low and there are limited places to fish now that the river has taken a detour below the ES run .  :( Any way I came home with a nice Coho buck about 7lbs.I landed 1 for 7 fish this weekend .Cheers guys and gals ;D
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

FishGuts

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2005, 09:19:41 AM »

I disagree Ive taken the same past week of for holidays to fish the chehalis for the last 10 years and this is the latest and slowest Ive ever seen them come in. According to my diary we did well almost every outing going back 10 years for the same week. This year only 8 coho between 2 of us on 4 outings. On another note my diary shows a decline of fish in that system over the last few years - may have something to do with the river diverting thru FN land. :(

mark

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2005, 07:07:22 PM »

The main reason for the lower amount of coho in the vedder and chehalis is the spring stocks are getting larger and are killing the coho stocks. What is happening I believe is when the fish are fry and smolts in the river the chinook smolts are more aggresive and are eatting lots of the food in the river and is killing the coho.  :(

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2005, 08:09:28 PM »

Not quite true mark. Although the chinook are by far the more aggressive fish when it comes to the adults I believe that the juvenilles have very little interaction. The harrison whites are a unique strain of chinook as once their eggs hatch the fry make their way out to the ocean nearly immediatly (same as chums and pinks). If anything, these brutes should be helping out the coho by bringing in lots of nutrients. One possible concern could be that springs are chasing the coho off the prime spawning habitat, but again I do not believe this to be an issue as chinooks typically spawn earlier in the season than coho.
Actions speak louder than words.

mark

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2005, 09:34:58 PM »

Biffy I must let you know that the vedder and chehalis spring stock do not leave immediately I am a Fisheries Technician and my study on these fish is pretty good but I appreciate the interest. Believe you me a prime example is the springs are not even native to the vedder river therefor it is upsetting the balance and ecosystem of that river. ;)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 09:45:51 PM by mark »