Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: need help on baitcaster  (Read 4333 times)

Sinaran

need help on baitcaster
« on: October 19, 2005, 10:24:41 PM »

So i just bought the ambassadeur 6000c last week to fight the nasty chums, i have a problem though. since i've never used one before, i don't really know how to cast with the reel.  the first time i tried to cast it i screw up the line, the lure was in the water, few feets away from me and the spool was still rolling.  any help on this would be greatly appreciated!! thanks!
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
Re: need help on baitcaster
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 10:29:50 PM »

youll need to tighten ur spool tensioner on the side were the reel handle are. its the beggest silver knob. if it right hand retreeve then it will be on the right side. left hand retreve then it will be on the left side. under the part were u tighter u drag. i have the same reel for the fraser and im looking at it right now. lol. make sure u dont tighten the knob too tight or you lure/wieght wont go anywere. you should be able to let ur thumb of the spool and ur lure/wieght should drop to the ground with out the spool spinning alot and getting backlash.

hope this helps any more questons pm me.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 12:18:33 AM »

Also if you're used to using spinners for lure casting, you might want to release line sooner when using baitcaster.

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 08:33:10 AM »

Thumb control!..always have your thumb on the spool

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 08:50:31 AM »

When i first started i had really tight tension. It hurts casting distance but you dont get birdsnest. Dont feel bad the first time i tried it i was going for steelies first cast huge birdsnest had to cut my line off and start the hour drive home :-\ Takes a bit of practice maybe try in your backyard

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 09:43:03 AM »

Sinaran, Ivan is right, you need to control the spools rotatinon when casting - both "inflight" with gentle pressure to keep it in check and then totally stopping the spool once the lure has hit the water.  If you over tighten your cast control knob (little knob under the star drag) then you wont be able to properly float fish as the cast control can create too much tension for a natural drift.  Learn to use your thumb.

As well, when you are learning to cast a level wind, use a little extra weight than you normally would...that will make casting easier.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 11:17:34 AM »

I keep my thumb slightly above the spool and stop the spool just before the lure/weight hits the water.  with practice you should be able to shoot the leader line out behind the weight and prevent it from tangling with the weight by stopping the spool at the right time. I would also recommend adding extra weight to improve your distance. Also having too much or not enough line can affect your casting.  If you have too much you will get more birdsnests and with not enough you won't be able to cast to the reels full potential.  I recommend taking it in to a tackle shop and having them spool you up off a bulk spool.  take note of how high they fill it if you want to do it yourself next time.

Remember to keep your reel away from sand/silt!

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2005, 12:41:55 PM »

And at the begining I find casting at an angle to the side is easier than over head.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2005, 12:51:46 PM »

Use the power of the thumb!  You can get incredibly accurate casts this way...you'll find yourself wishing your spinning reel worked the same way :D  At least I do..

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2005, 01:09:50 PM »

One more thing. If you are casting for distance, when the weight starts to fall downwards, keep you thumb lightly on the reel you won't get birdnest this way.

Sinaran

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2005, 04:42:33 PM »

hey thanks a lot guys, i am glad i've just learnt a lot from u guys now!  i will keep those in mind the next time i hit the fishing sites.
will give it a try this weekend and post the result afterward. thanks a lot again. :)
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2005, 05:06:21 PM »

I would also recommend practicing casting in a park before hitting the water.  I always give this advice for fly casting.  I think it would also apply to baitcasters.  Better to practice beforehand rather than fixing that bird's nest at the river when the bite is on!   ;)